gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 08:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  84' GT Pro Performer Seat Tube Replacement - DONE!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 84' GT Pro Performer Seat Tube Replacement - DONE!  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
84' GT Pro Performer Seat Tube Replacement - DONE!
« on: October 29, 2007, 04:50 PM »
Alright lads. Ok just been down to see my brother Pete at his sheet metal firm in Hoddesdon. He says that this frame has given him and a couple of his mates many headaches but they are pleased with the results and SO I'M I!  :D I bought the frame from Rarman (rob) a good couple of months back and gave it to Pete that day. Pete tried everything, welding a tube in, wacking it in a vice, heating it up, soaking in diesel, you name it they did it to try and get this stuck seat post out. Apprantly the seat tube stuck in went all the way to the bottom! Fookin ell!  :shocked: And because over the years of riding and probably leaving out in the rain etc.. it rusted itself and formed its own weld. In one of the photos below you will see the piece cut out, that shows you how tight it was, absolutely solid.

Ok in stages my brother cut out as much as they could, and with some very skillful welding and tidying up, you really wouldn't know any difference  :shocked:. I actually didn't realise until today that they replaced nearly the whole seat tube as the welding was spot on to the original gt welding, very nifty indeed  :daumenhoch:. My brother vows to never touch a bike frame again but is looking forward to seeing this powdercoated, which will happen next week I hope. Going to be done Glossy Black now lads, with Chrome forks. Should look pretty cool. Will post up photos once done (after GT Pro Performer decals if anyone has any?)

Anyway what do you think? I think my bro has done a fookin fine job and my repayment to him is a truck load of beer and port for Christmas  :daumenhoch:

Matt  :D

The original frame purchased from Rob, see the areas I've marked where the seat tube is. Was totally stuck in from top to bottom, nightmare!

Piece my brother cut out, also the top of the seat tube was hollowed out and tidyed up.

Photo of the completed frame, next job is getting it powdercoated  ;)

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
Re: 84' GT Pro Performer Seat Tube Replacement - DONE!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 04:53 PM »
 :4_17_5:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 04:58 PM »

Thanks mate, yeah I'm well happy with it, my bro has done a superb job and they have never done a bike frame before  :daumenhoch:

:4_17_5:

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 05:01 PM »
Which decals are you after as I may have some later decals - not era correct  :daumenhoch:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:05 PM »
Vert-ego has some in clear or Chrome  :daumenhoch:

Paul :Great_Britain:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Hi mate, wack me over a photo of them and we'll see. I think the ones I need are these  :daumenhoch: or ones like that which will show up nicely on a black frame.

Which decals are you after as I may have some later decals - not era correct  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Top job i think you owe your bro big time for that  ;D
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 05:51 PM »
Tell me about it, even a crate of beer and a couple bottles of port won't keep him happy as his spent hours on this, I reckon a good piss up and a meal on me will help more though  :daumenhoch:

Top job i think you owe your bro big time for that  ;D

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 06:54 PM »
I've used Hoddesdon Powder Coating before - down Pindar Road. They normally do high volume stuff and I had to have stuff prep'ed by someone else first. but they did a good job on the couple of frames I took there.

Having said that, I'll be going to SuperbikeDan for my next lot  :daumenhoch:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 07:38 PM »

Yes mate, that's the one, my brother knows the guy there really well as they send stuff round there all the time. Speaking to them this week. Need to get the frame dripped first to remove whatever chrome is left then powdercoated. Can't wait to see it all done actually  :daumenhoch:

I've used Hoddesdon Powder Coating before - down Pindar Road. They normally do high volume stuff and I had to have stuff prep'ed by someone else first. but they did a good job on the couple of frames I took there.

Having said that, I'll be going to SuperbikeDan for my next lot  :daumenhoch:

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 08:43 PM »
I suppose, you know there's a Metal finisher down Pindar Road as well.

I've used him in the past for chroming some bars and a Hutch stem. He managed to get a good finish on the stem, but slightly over polished it as it had to be re-chromed a couple of times to get a decent finish. He also did some bars for me that were great apart from the tight area's hadn't been polished enough leaving it looking a little 'brassy'  ::)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 08:51 PM »
Oh yeah these are the guys that are going to dip the frame to remove that chrome before powdercoating. I will probably use these guys for two Tioga cranks I have. Cheers  :daumenhoch:

P.S. Do you live close to Hoddesdon then mate? I'm in Epping, about 15 mins drive from Hoddesdon....

I suppose, you know there's a Metal finisher down Pindar Road as well.

I've used him in the past for chroming some bars and a Hutch stem. He managed to get a good finish on the stem, but slightly over polished it as it had to be re-chromed a couple of times to get a decent finish. He also did some bars for me that were great apart from the tight area's hadn't been polished enough leaving it looking a little 'brassy'  ::)

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 10:19 AM »
I'm about 5 minutes north of Hoddesdon  :daumenhoch:

Let me now how the frame looks after they've done the dipping to remove the chrome - I need some forks done

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 12:25 PM »
bloody nice job there fella :4_17_5: love the ol 84 performer.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 12:37 PM »

Thanks mate  ;). Just spoken with the metal finishers its being dipped on Monday and into the powdercoaters on Tuesday so quite excited now. Got to source these damn decals though now!  :daumenhoch:

bloody nice job there fella :4_17_5: love the ol 84 performer.

etriedes

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Awesome job .. i think you owe your brother a night in the titty bar for that  ;D

rarman1

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 09:28 PM »
hi matt,  got your pm and what can i say apart from well done, i thought that post was all the way in and it was :LolLolLolLol:

but you bro has done a top job there mate :4_17_5:

as for decals i would go for the ones at either Vert-ego or AJKBikes.com

nice one,
rob :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  84' GT Pro Performer Seat Tube Replacement - DONE!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx