gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 05:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  wheel assistance please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: wheel assistance please  (Read 382 times)

backafterabreak

wheel assistance please
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:12 AM »
hello folks

I'm new to the forum and back on a bike for the first time in 15+ years, so I've got some serious catching up to do and could use some advice (well, quite a lot actually!)
Sorry if some or all of this has been covered elsewhere, but there are so many threads to read and so little time!

I am building a bike around a mongoose cali frame (when it arrives from Amercia). I'm not going to get hung up on 'show quality and all original' - at least not from the start...

So wheel advice - what's the best and what's the best on a budget (as the kids will keep demanding food and clothes!):
Spokes:

ACS Z Rim, Araya 7X, Araya Aero, Sun rims, Alex, what others? what should I avoid?
Seen some nice Sun rims on here and some ACS Z rims in the US - both work out about £60 to my door.

What about mags?
Got some original yellow OGKs on my current rider - really like skyways (takes me back) - what about ACS Z mags - what else?

What do people think - should I go for spokes or mags for the cali?

Any thoughts and advice much appreciated - patience too, as I'm sure to ask some real dumb questions! (sorry in advance)

Will no doubt post more numpty threads! cheers - Ad

theRuler

Re: wheel assistance please
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:31 AM »
go for a set of 7x style rims
sumos are good for the money

drop on some used arayas also, fairly cheap

both suit it good

pro class wheels would be best though!

backafterabreak

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:56 PM »
seen a set of pro-class on ebay - but the seller wants £100 BIN and they sound fairly thrashed - can't afford that and then have to cough up for new spokes, nipples, rebuild - and that's assuming hubs are OK - savage!
You reckon spokes rather than mags?
I think it was Sumo rims (not Sun  :uglystupid2:) that I was on to before through the for sale section. Bodamus had a set of shine sides - you think these sound good option for cali?
cheers

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:12 AM »
yup!

backafterabreak

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 12:38 AM »
cheers

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  wheel assistance please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx