gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 12:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano DX Axel Removal ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shimano DX Axel Removal ?  (Read 713 times)

jody

Shimano DX Axel Removal ?
« on: October 28, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the DX caps so I can remove the axel to clean and regrease them.Also one seems to rattle inside maybe a damaged bearing, if so can they be easily replaced  :daumenhoch:
                                                 Jody.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: Shimano DX Axel Removal ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 03:59 AM »
The caps unscrew, the art is in getting them off without damaging them. Should be easy to find replacement bearings.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Warning they become very brittle with age. I tried to remove some this weekend but ended up having to drill them out.
Luckily I had some new replacements  ;)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 05:21 PM »
Just loose ball bearings inside, so easily replaceable.  If you're not super fussed about keeping or using the original plastic endcaps, then get in touch with Fuzzynod on here.  He can supply you with an aluminium replacement.  It's a 'pignose' style that just screws straight in.  They look cool as you like, I run them in my DX slightly protruding from the pedal cage which gives excellent protection (i'm still riding mine).

Otherwise, good luck in finding new ones..... 

jody

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:03 PM »
Hi and thank you Guys,
                                     I still can not get the end caps off, as I used a small set of pointed pliers anti clock wise they just spin round and clock wise they seem to tighten  ???
                                                                                                                         Jody.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:10 PM »
Yeah, that'll happen.  It's likely that a bit of damage and abuse over the years has worked the ally lip of the pedal over the plastic endcap.  So, you have two choices; either get a very small file out and start to clean up the edge of the pedal and cap, or prize the cap out  (which will damage it).  I suppose you could try scribing around the edge of the cap with a craft knife or similar, that might do it also.

Don't worry too much if you end up stripping the thread on the cap, it'll just push back in later on, or you could add a drop of silicon or similar to hold it in place. No big deal   :)

adeshere

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 01:29 PM »
"anti clock wise they just spin round and clock wise they seem to tighten  "

Did you stop too soon ?

Have you tried to continue to turn them anticlockwise until they fully unscrew ?

jody

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 07:40 PM »
Hi,
     Yes I have got them off  :tickedoff: I had to push down on them at an angle and turn at the same time, they eventually had to be pulled off, and yes they are all scratched up  :shocked:  ;D
                                                                                                  Jody.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano DX Axel Removal ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx