gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:43 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tuf Neck restoration help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tuf Neck restoration help  (Read 568 times)

djgivvinup

Tuf Neck restoration help
« on: November 03, 2007, 04:42 PM »
I've got this Tuf Neck stem which i want to strip, restore & use on a show bike but i'm in need of some advice..
Basically i want a nice shiny silver stem to put on my streebeat!

Firstly its got a few small marks on it, can i polish or wet & dry these out?
Secondly i want to strip the black annodising/paint off it, nitromors or oven pride?
I want to replace or restore the long bolt & the other fat threaded bolt, any advice would be great!
I've got some new allen bolts on their way.
Lastly its gonna need a good polish, again any advice would be great!

Any help would be awesome..

Cheers..

Chris

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Tuf Neck restoration help
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 04:53 PM »
SteveP has done a few of these & they came out really nice.
Yes you can wet & dry them & take the nicks out with some courser wet & dry or emery cloth.
I would use oven pride to strip it.
You may be able to save the bolts, but I think you can get replacements on USebay.

wildwood1971

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Oven pride to strip the anodising and then use various grades of wet and dry from 600 down to 1500 or 2000. do each progressive grade in the opposite direction until you remove the last grades marks - once your down to 1500 or 2000 wet and dry use some good metal polish and then buff. soak the wet and dry in a little water with a drop of fairy in it. If you haven got blisters on your fingers after this you havent done it right :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 05:49 PM »
I have a tuf neck that is already stripped and polished, fancy a swap, it seems a shame to strip that one
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Oven Pride to strip it?????  That is the wimps way!

Get some Caustic Soda, add water and dip.  You aint a restorer until you have had a lung full of Caustic Soda fumes.  After that use Oven Pride as you will not be able to breath properly again.  ;)

djgivvinup

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 10:13 PM »
I have a tuf neck that is already stripped and polished, fancy a swap, it seems a shame to strip that one

pm'd   ::)

Cheers for all the advice guys...if i don't end up trading for a polished one (taking the cowards way out  :LolLolLolLol:)
I'll give the marks on the stem a go with a bit of wet & dry..then oven pride it (taking the wimps way out :shocked: ??) then a good polish...   :daumenhoch:

I'll let you know how it goes..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tuf Neck restoration help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx