gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975749 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 10, 2024, 11:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  so how many of you guys started riding again?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: so how many of you guys started riding again?  (Read 2692 times)

Ricky

so how many of you guys started riding again?
« on: November 26, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Ok im nearly 36 with more than my fair share of grey hairs , the mountain biking is great but the urge to ride bmx again just will not go away, constantly watching bmx on extreme and spending a fair bit of time at the local skatepark sitting watching, finding this site and just thinking about riding a LOT!,seeing the guys smiling face after doin the decade and thinkin THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!.Im really wanting to start riding again guys what was it like for the folks on here that picked up the bike again and went for it?, thanks  Ricky

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: so how many of you guys started riding again?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 05:29 PM »
well had a go of me nephews ruption at rom
2years ago lol
then on mon went to a bike shop and bought a mirra 540
stil had some of me tricks i could do bitd
inc the fallen off one lol
has been fun spesh watching the young kids
progress loads .and over take us in the tricks
department lol

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 05:58 PM »
yep i started with buying a few old school magazines off ebay.then got building a show bike. then bought a haro 540 off bill and that was it. back in the skatepark most weeks and really enjoying the riding now more than anything else.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 06:20 PM »
After 18 months of collecting old school stuff and standing around like a spare part at meets, I tentitively started riding again. I decided I fancied riding trails, even though I'd never really ridden them before.

I must say, the few times I've ridden, I've thoroughly enjoyed myself, despite taking a heavy fall on my shoulder that prevented me from riding for about 3 or 4 weeks, then as soon as it felt good enough to ride, falling again first time.  :2funny:

Both falls I put down to losing my bottle, more than 6" of air and I piss my pants ;D

weston

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 06:37 PM »
after 20yrs off a bike i started riding again, the only problem is i have nobody to ride with so in the last 3yrs ive rode about 8hrs in total.... hopefully this will soon change

cymruambyth

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 06:44 PM »
bought a new school bike last september to ride to work on. retired in 91, rode a bit during 96 and 97. found this site, went down rom, been about 8 times since then. its hard work trying to get back into it' every time i go to rom i feel like giving up again! still, its a laugh i suppose. no one to ride with during the week so i ride about once a month. i must admit for me its a real pisser not being able to do stuff i could in the old days!

greentoad

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 07:34 PM »
Hi  :)

I sold all my BMX's in the late 80's. However I had motorcycles, mountain bikes (until they where sold or stolen), then when my daughter came along, rode her small bike. I then rode her scooter, and progressed onto her small mountain bike. All of this time I kept doing tricks, wheelies etc (I used to get some strange looks - ridding a pink 16" girls bike....  ;D), and got my first old school BMX about 6 months ago.

It is quite easy to pick up the tricks again, but I have trouble remembering them, and as I ride on my own in the street, you carn't watch others or bounce tricks off. However it is a great when you remember and pull it off, it's like being a kid again.

However, I went out and rode my old race track and slammed down pretty hard whilst doing a rollback off a berm, it hurts a lot more than the old days, and ached for over a week (I still can not sleep on my left shoulder  :'()

The tracks are also a lot harder now adays, and you carn't do any jumping  >:(, but it is still fun ridding. I raced and did freestyle back in the day, and must say that for me - freestyle is it, I'm loving it, and ride now even if it is down the village shop, doing tricks all the way.....

Ricky

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 11:34 AM »
thanks guys im feeling even more inspired than ever now have to get meeself a bike.....

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 11:44 AM »
i stopped riding in 1989 when i turned sixteen and got a motorbike, car etc

got back into it in 1996 when i saw a redline rl240 in a car spares shop and bought it!!!

Ricky

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 11:58 AM »
Good find!, im speaking to a lad who rode Livi years ago about getting his old pro burner from him as a restoration project and i have a mate in London who has a brand new unused prolite frame and forks but he's proving a tough nut to crack!.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 12:11 PM »
If you fancy riding, then ride!!   Its as sinple as that  ;)  go as easy or a hard as you want it don't matter one jot.  Getting into resto projects, chatting with people on here is only a part of the deal, travelling to spots, riding and meeting new friends is the best thing. You're missing out!!!

Get yourself a new school bike (plenty of advice about that on here  ;))  and go and do a few rollbacks. You'll love it. Guaranteed.

I'm 39 now and riding better than I ever have, I can't imagine my life without BMX. Sounds corny, but there it is. See you soon....... ;D

trixr4kidz

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 12:52 PM »
After being out the 'scene' for 15 years I luckily managed to get a bit of part time work at our local indoor park, where I go a few nights a week after my real job.  I help out the local kids both on an off the park and teach them how to strip and maintain their bikes. 
I started to ride the park on my own after it closed but I really missed the buzz of riding with other folk, so now I just join in during the main sessions when I can.   Your 'bottle' to give the harder tricks a try returns after a while but the pain now takes a bit longer to go away.  I'm just glad I'm still involved in the sport and even when I can't ride it's great just hanging out at the park.  You are only as young as you feel so get that bike built and start riding! ;)

Coastvl

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 01:27 PM »
I still race every friday night and still visit the odd skatepark around the place. I'm always out the front on the street doin small tricks and stuff with my kids. I should quit smokin and I'd do a lot better at racing.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 01:35 PM »
should quit smokin and I'd do a lot better at racing.

you aint alone on that one mate, i have to stop on the second berm and have a breather.

stoke bloke

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 02:50 PM »
Give in to your urges mate, resistance is futile ;D get a decent nu skool bike and let the good times roll again

Flaz

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 05:08 PM »
stop the smoking !!!!! i am seven weeks today,  I was a 40 a day easy and thats rollies 150 a month to spend on my new old skool bmx hobby

andy irwin

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 07:02 PM »
Its like riding a bike. 

Coastvl

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 02:37 AM »
Flaz , thats great man. Well done! I wish it was that easy. I dont have any other vices so smokin is what keeps me sane :idiot2:

rossi

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 08:11 AM »
know where a good specialized might be!!

sam hudson

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 01:29 PM »
Get a bike AND A HELMET.Concrete is much harder than it was in the 80's  :2funny:
Oh and get a thick skin,friends & wife will look at you sympathetically :2gunsfiring_v1:
 ITS F GOOD THO so f### em all.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 03:21 PM »
I gave up smoking on new years eve/day this year and so far havn`t been tempted, but I`ve had a good reason to stop this time, so I could ride again after a 20 year break.

Best advise I could give is to get loads of protection, it gives you more confidence to try things if you feel safer, heres what I wear at the moment :

Plus a full face skid lid too  :idiot2:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2005, 04:10 PM »
I started out collecting old schoolers over 2 years ago, and about a year and a half ago got into riding again (new school mostly, but some old skool racing) and now do stuff I never did as a kid. I turned 37 last year and am a 6foot XXL 20stoner.

fraz167

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 05:41 PM »
stoner

me too

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  so how many of you guys started riding again?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx