gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 06:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Mongoose 2008 Race Bike.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mongoose 2008 Race Bike.  (Read 1616 times)

HEYWOOD BMX

Mongoose 2008 Race Bike.
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:42 AM »
 :P Just been on Alans site.They have a 2008 Supergoose.Looks OK,but really seems an insult to the name.

dialledbikes

Re: Mongoose 2008 Race Bike.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Mongoose hasn't made a decent race bike for years.  That new one just looks like every other generic aluminium race bike out there.

Shame these big companies can't come up with the goods (or rather don't care to come up with the goods) given the resources at their disposal.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:53 AM »
I like the colour scheme though  :)

Do agree that calling it the Supergoose is an insult to the original.

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 09:56 AM »

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:01 AM »
 :)They should have stuck with the orange/blue integrated headset ones that John Purse rode around 2004............

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 10:44 AM »
I'm not a racer of any description, but the geometry doesn't look good for a race bike? Or am I blind?  :idiot2:

Lazarou

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 10:57 AM »
It's a Mongoose Solution! They're just jumping on the 'retro' bandwagon!

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:15 AM »
I'm not a racer of any description, but the geometry doesn't look good for a race bike? Or am I blind?  :idiot2:

Moose, I was thinking the same thing.  It reminds me of the Airborne Misbehavin Ti frame.  It looks really awkward (sp).

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 12:35 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

wat a poor effort

hate to say it but at least the burner race looks racey

boo hoo

russ

magna13

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 12:48 PM »
the geomotry looks totally worng!... very disapointing and a discrace to the name 'supergose'

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 01:47 PM »
looks like they really got stuck into the r&d for that frame!!!!

surely these big companies must be getting something sorted for the olympics next year! the publicity alone must make it worth their while! are the small companies really taking over this sport when it comes to putting out a decent frame

dialledbikes

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 01:54 PM »
surely these big companies must be getting something sorted for the olympics next year! the publicity alone must make it worth their while! are the small companies really taking over this sport when it comes to putting out a decent frame

You'd think they would make the effort wouldn't you, but I guess they will assume the average kid who gets into BMX racing on the back of seeing the Olympics will be satisfied with a P.O.S. race bike.

At least Redline, Haro, Intense and to a lesser extent, GT, still make pretty decent off the shelf race bikes (can't really fault the Redline Proline and Flight range for the price).

The smaller companies make the best platforms for custom building/speccing a race bike though.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 02:38 PM »
Seperated at birth............

Mongoose Supergoose

Airborne Misbehavin'

64 SPLITVAN

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 10:41 PM »
THE BACK END LOOKS WELL SHORT
THE BIG COMPANYS ARE BRINGING OUT THESE SO CALLED RACE BIKES AND HOPEING THE NAME WILL SELL IT
I THINK THERE JUST JUMPING ON THE MONEY MAKING BAND WAGON 

wolfybmx

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 10:46 PM »
the mongoose is shite!!!!!!!!!!! compared to off the shelf gt and no where near the haro 08 race bikes. trust me i know

thesku11s

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 10:11 AM »
looks like they really got stuck into the r&d for that frame!!!!

pah!!

you thing they actually do r&d for bikes like this??

this was picked right off the shelf in taiwan, its screaming OEM so loud it could cause injury.

one ugly mofo bike, looks no better quality than a awful ful suss mtb that retails at £60

this is obviously not as complicated as a cheapo full suss mtb, So i bet they could retails it at £40 and still make a profit - the b*st*rds!!

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 01:05 PM »
bitd eveyone (okay nearly everyone) wanted a Supergoose.  I doubt we'll be able to say the same about this horror story  :(

gossa

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 08:31 PM »
Interesting comments, I can tell you that i've seen this in the flesh and it's not straight out of the TBG (taiwan Buyers Guide), it's been designed in house by Mongoose PM's.  The geometry doesn't look that bad, I raced for Mongoose on the blue chromo solution and then the nickel alloy one and the geometry isn't that different from those.

However I do agree that Mongoose look like they need to make a bit more of an effort on the race front, maybe revive the Pro Class marque?  Now that would be cool.

dialledbikes

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 09:11 PM »
In reality, it's a myth that big bike companies just select frames out of the Taiwan Bike Guide.  The Taiwanese factories I've used out there make great frames, but have no idea when it comes to designing something that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

The problem with once great companies like Mongoose and Diamond Back nowadays is that profit is more important than quality product and they don't have anyone who truly loves BMX working in-house to give the correct kind of guidance/direction.

SE have done right thing appointing someone like Todd Lyons (though I think they've got it spot on with the retro stuff, but the new school stuff still needs some work).

thesku11s

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 01:41 AM »
In reality, it's a myth that big bike companies just select frames out of the Taiwan Bike Guide.  The Taiwanese factories I've used out there make great frames, but have no idea when it comes to designing something that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

The problem with once great companies like Mongoose and Diamond Back nowadays is that profit is more important than quality product and they don't have anyone who truly loves BMX working in-house to give the correct kind of guidance/direction.

SE have done right thing appointing someone like Todd Lyons (though I think they've got it spot on with the retro stuff, but the new school stuff still needs some work).

maybe i was exaggerating, but that is one crude basic bike.

its just really really horrible, and I dont think any effort was made to "design" a good bike.

Have you seeen those "rhino" cheapo bikes? looks no better than one of those to me.

I do know that taiwan has pretty much the best bike factories in the world, but they cater for price right?

and I dont think mongoose pushed the boat out!

theres an enormous industry of OEM parts which Im sure you know about, many companies sell the smae relabelled item.

Im currently sorting out a factory tour myself. I also hear from some of my hong kong mates, that taiwan ha the best food in the world.

dialledbikes

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 05:02 PM »
Yes Jesus, like with most things, you get what you pay for.  Many of the big companies will probably have a budget per frame and that will determine what material and which factory they use.  That Mongoose looks like a wrong un straight off the drawing board, but if they had designed it properly in the first place, been prepared to use top quality tubing and used one of the quality factories to build it, they could still have produced a very good bike for a reasonable price given the buying power of Pacific.

As for the food in Taiwan ......... I'll let you decide on that when you get out there  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Mongoose 2008 Race Bike.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx