gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 01:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Importing??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Importing??  (Read 862 times)

Dhillon

Importing??
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:43 PM »

Does anyone know?  OR Has anyone been clobbered with paying DUTY when importing in a bike from the good ole' US OF A??

Help and insight greatly appreciated.

Dhillon  :D

MeddlE

Re: Importing??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 10:49 PM »
I had to pay duty on my Graphite Tuffs when I got them from the States, other than that I've managed to get away with it.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Got done for some no.plates for our club, apart from that been ok. I think its a bit hit and miss really, there was a thread awhile back about a code you can ask to be put on the parcel that helps?????

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 11:07 PM »
The most annoying charge is the unjustified fecking admin the w4nkers at Parcelfarce sting you for.  I had to pay about a fiver in import duty on something I bought but £18 in admin fees, w4ankers  :2gunsfiring_v1:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:36 PM »
Yes Iv been hit a few times & got away with it, it really is random  ???

I think it also depends who gets it at this end, parcel force always seem to charge  >:(

When buying stuff from the US always assume you will get hit  ::)

paul clarkson

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 06:04 PM »
got done for the first time last week, parcel force admin fees :idiot2: . ON STRIKE they should sack the lot of them :angrysoapbox:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 06:48 PM »
Yes, infact I was freshly shafted this afternoon...  for the sum of £54 :-\
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

dj_benice

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 06:55 PM »
futt bucked the other day to the sum of £96 and have another un sat with customs at the mo :(

Dhillon

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Cheers for the info and feedback guys  :)

Yesterday got shafterd by yours truly, HM Customs for £87.00  :'(  and Royal mail to the tune of £39.54p (Even though the tosser's have been on strike all week!!  :2gunsfiring_v1:).

Royal mail take's the pixx, and they have the cheek to charge me £40 quid for a piece of paper!!.
I'm using smoke signal's as my way of communication from now!!

From a very fuxxed off chappie,
rant :rant:
Dhillon  :Great_Britain:

login_user

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Fooking £105 this morning, i been stung with import duty but never VAT as well,  :wtf: is going on.  :-\

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 11:36 AM »
The main problem is that Customs rely on the info given to them by Parcelfarce and as we konw they can just about add up 2 + 2.  I'd check the values, remembering to convert them to Sterling from Dollars which is Parcelfarce's usual mistake, check that their calculations are right, then if they are wrong go back to Customs and give them all the details and also remember to emphasise that they are childrens bicycle parts.  If Parcelfarce got it wrong then you are entitled to a refund on the difference, I would also hit Parcelfarce with an invoice for the recovery of any costs you incurred from them as they have no right to recover costs from you as being the recipient you have no contract with them.

I think Moose had a really good thread on this subject before, would be worth trying to search for it  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 05:08 PM »

Yesterday got shafterd by yours truly, HM Customs for £87.00  :'(  and Royal mail to the tune of £39.54p (Even though the tosser's have been on strike all week!!  :2gunsfiring_v1:).

Royal mail take's the pixx, and they have the cheek to charge me £40 quid for a piece of paper!!.

Fook me!! £40 charge from Royal Mail?? How did they work that one out, sounds way off mark. Give them a call and get them to explain (although my experience of them is more than useless) ::)

I went to pick up a parcel yesterday - paid £21 (as expected), but overheard one of ParcelFarce's finest telling another customer he had no idea why he was being charged? Being a know-it-all motherfooker as I am, I (along with another customer) proceeded to explain the in's and out's of import Tax/VAT/Royal Mail Charges to the member of staff and this other customer.

Royal Mail & Parcel Force need to get their act together and start training their staff to understand why (and what for) they are taking payments from customers :idiot2:

Dhillon

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 05:52 PM »

Fook me!! £40 charge from Royal Mail?? How did they work that one out, sounds way off mark. Give them a call and get them to explain (although my experience of them is more than useless) ::)

I went to pick up a parcel yesterday - paid £21 (as expected), but overheard one of ParcelFarce's finest telling another customer he had no idea why he was being charged? Being a know-it-all motherfooker as I am, I (along with another customer) proceeded to explain the in's and out's of import Tax/VAT/Royal Mail Charges to the member of staff and this other customer.

Royal Mail & Parcel Force need to get their act together and start training their staff to understand why (and what for) they are taking payments from customers :idiot2:

£40 quid, breakdown from Post Man Pat and his CREW was the following - £27.63 for duty and £12 odd quid for "insurance" and "delivery" and to repackage my item (apparently package was opened by HM CUSTOMS).
I spoke to the local tax office and they have now told me they have a DEDICATED team of INVESTIGATOR'S   :police: (more like tossers) who routinely open parcels and check the item's to ensure there is NO FOUL PLAY or to PUT IT BLUNTLY, NO DOPE OR SHXT being smuggled in.  :Aresehole: 

Can't believe I GET CHARGED by ROYAL-MAIL to REPACKAGE my goods.    :wtf:

I asked my local postie yesterday, and HE SAID - THE ROYALMAIL HAVE A OPEN POLICY TO CHARGE WHATEVER THEY LIKE. THERE IS NOTHING WRITTEN IN STONE to confirm charges/prices etc etc!! And it's down to the discretion of the office.

Anyways, that's my rant for the month over with!!   :rant:

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 06:08 PM »
Was this the breakdown of charges?

£87.00 VAT
£27.63 Import Duty
£12 odd quid

If it was, Royal Mail only get the £12 - it's the government that have taken roughly 17.5% VAT and about 5% Import Tax.

The way I see it is you're paying Royal Mail the £12 as they pay the money to Customs and then get it back off you (their charge for shuffling non-existant money around) ::)

Was the value of your item £500 ($1000)? If it was, that amount of duty is about spot on.

Dhillon

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 06:19 PM »
Was this the breakdown of charges?

£87.00 VAT
£27.63 Import Duty
£12 odd quid

If it was, Royal Mail only get the £12 - it's the government that have taken roughly 17.5% VAT and about 5% Import Tax.

The way I see it is you're paying Royal Mail the £12 as they pay the money to Customs and then get it back off you (their charge for shuffling non-existant money around) ::)

Was the value of your item £500 ($1000)? If it was, that amount of duty is about spot on.

Cheers for that Moose. your insight has been very helpful and kindda made me look on the bright side!!
Value was just under £500 squid mate.
Was on the verge of 'lamping' the postie tomorrow morning!!   :knuppel2:

I've been promised some hardcore info. from Customs in the next few days about the rate of duty on bikes/parts etc. and will post up for ALL to see.

Cheers

BigassBMX

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 06:27 PM »
ask for it to be sent as a gift from the shop in the states. and you should be ok. iv got away with i every time. iv had frames wheels the lot.

do it son

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Importing??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx