gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 03:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  How to get the council to build a track?? **UPDATED**
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to get the council to build a track?? **UPDATED**  (Read 616 times)

Superkav

How to get the council to build a track?? **UPDATED**
« on: August 31, 2007, 05:53 PM »
We have a BMX/skate park in Watford but no reace track. Have any of you guys hassled your local councils to build a track and if so got any tips??
I have a few ideas, online petition, story in the local rag but will they actually take notice?
Any info/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 03:25 PM by Superkav »

thesku11s

Re: How to get the council to build a track??
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:11 PM »
it will be pretty slow going probably!

Unless you can find an established organsation that does this sort of thing like "groundwork" that we have in brum.

Best bet is to find an old knackered 80's one, or some empty public industrial type land and make your own  :daumenhoch:

Trev

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 11:23 PM »
or dress up as batman and save the councillor from a mugging...

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:19 AM »
get in touch with guy off here, thombsie, he is trying to get redditch track up and running again  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:49 AM »
Or contact Scott Dick, aka Uncle Buck on www.bmxtalk.com  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

JT71

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:27 AM »
or give up BMX and go to watch the mighty Hornets play instead.  ;)

(that skate park in Watford is lethal, my mate well and truly f***ed up his leg on that...we were p1ssed on the way back to the hotel from a  stag do with a shopping trolley mind)

Superkav

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 10:28 AM »
or give up BMX and go to watch the mighty Hornets play instead.  ;)

(that skate park in Watford is lethal, my mate well and truly f***ed up his leg on that...we were p1ssed on the way back to the hotel from a  stag do with a shopping trolley mind)

:2funny: that skatepark has been the downfall of many a drunkard. I'm yet to bring a bike down there, never freestyles BITD so would probably end up impaled on something with a load of kids pointing and laughing ::)

Superkav

Re: How to get the council to build a track?? **UPDATED**
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 03:43 PM »
Ok so I got in touch with the local 'yoofs' who after they'd stopped laughing at a 33 year old BMXer were quite helpful. I explained the power of a good vocabulary when addressing council members and here's the outcome
The younglings had been pretty organised with what they wanted and had been locked in negotiations with the council for nigh on 2 years!! they had been offered a site to go ahead with but it was in a cruddy area where the locals were likely to steal the bikes as they were being ridden. They did have another site in mind but the council refused to let them have it.
After what I can only assume was 'intense harrassment' on the part of the padawan BMXers the council has caved in and given them their preferred site! Amazing what an incentive it can be to have 50 kids hanging around the mayors house grinding his walls at all hours ;D

Here's the latest info from Max who heads up the Watford Riders crew.

"Easy Rory,

Basically, on the saturday just gone they dumped us 60 tonnes of dirt in rough piles to shape and do what we want with! Now i haven't been down there yet but apparently this dirt is peeerffeecct for trails. Real easy to shape and mould but still has that clayish consistence to it- and whats more, they have an unlimited supply if we need it!

So a few riders have started digging now (all spade and wheelbarrow work - no JCBs or anything) and we hope to create an awesome set of trails! It seems like a fairly small group of riders digging at the minute as there are always many not willing to put hard work in during such early days but im sure once they see a few lines coming along we'll have a thriving scene down there! It will take a hard winters work but we're optimistic :)

I know it's trails and you're more into racing but it can never be a bad thing right? And once it's up and running a bit maybe we can create a few more flowy racy style lines if enough people are willing to dig for it.

So feel free to come down and be a part of it.
Thanks very much for your help and dont hesitate to contact, we'd be pleased to see you there!"

So there you go, ask and you shall receive :)

If anyone fancies helping out the Watford guys with some manual labour get in touch with me, this will be some RAD riding when it's ready.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 03:51 PM by Superkav »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 03:50 PM »
nice work!  only by the sound of it they're only building dirt jumps and not a race track?

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 04:17 PM »
nice work!  only by the sound of it they're only building dirt jumps and not a race track?

Thought the same.

Good work on getting stuff done though.

Superkav

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 04:43 PM »
Yeah it'll be more trails than a race track but it's all good practise for MK08!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  How to get the council to build a track?? **UPDATED**

gfxgfx
gfx gfx