gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 08:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Protective gear- recomendations?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Protective gear- recomendations?  (Read 515 times)

Shings

Protective gear- recomendations?
« on: October 07, 2007, 03:18 PM »
Right got my new skool bike..

Haro Dave Mirra special- apparently... I have no actual idea what it actually is but it seems ok to me and £100 so was within budget.

I need to get some saftey gear- I have a helmet which I am happy with but I want gloves, arm pads, knee and shin pads.

And within reason as inexpensive as possible.

So who recomends what?  and where from? 
Just popped up to halfrauds and felt like I was about to be ass banged...

Jake

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Protective gear- recomendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 03:25 PM »
go onto alans and get some decent bits of there 

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 03:51 PM »
You will have to spend some decent money to get decent safety gear that will fit you.  Don't be surprised if you spend more than the bikes value in safety gear.

661 do some ok gear. Shadow Conspiracy knee gaskets are good kit if you want to wear under your jeans, go for the 'industrial' version.  Any glove will do, I personally like Fox or Shift MX gloves.

It does rather depend on what you want.  Fashion is minimal kneepads worn under jeans, nowt else.  Function is stuff that will allow you keep getting up, over and over again.

My advice would be to get the best quality most protective hardcup kneepads you can afford and wear them over your jeans or with shorts, then learn to kneeslide  ;)  The fashion police will be out to get you, but you're more likely to survive the attack   ;D

Elbow pads need to be a good size if you plan to actually slam on them, watch out for small tight fitting stuff as it'll pump your arms up, or be uncomfortable as fook, or both...

Fox do some ok kneepads, as do Rector (fatboy), TSG and of course, ProDesign   8)   There used to be a firm called Prolike, they did a good Rector copy. Cheap as chips and good enough to get you started. Don't know if you'll still find them though   :-\

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 04:13 PM »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 04:14 PM »
bike looks good mate!!  try these, you'll find anything you want here and at good prices + postage is free and normally next day.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=221

there brand X stuff is okay as well......i've used mine in Morzine on my MTB and it's taken lots of knocks and saved my knees and shins plenty of times  :daumenhoch:

MeddlE

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I can heartily recommend these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx'modelID=9591

661 4x4 Knee & Shin, will go under jeans, will take a slam (unless you're planning on riding vert that is)

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 04:46 PM »
oh and if ure as big as me some pads dont bloody fit lol even in xl size's

Shings

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 05:03 PM »
Cheers guys

I shall have a little butchers on those links and see what I come up with.

Same with car racing/track days/Motor bikes - Buy the best you can afford- end of the day its your life you're protecting.

Prob a bit strong for the sort of thing I will do- but I'd like to be able to ride on a weekend and go to work on a monday without any great problem

Jake

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 09:26 AM »
it's not only the procection....they do give you the added confidence to try that little bit harder.   :daumenhoch:

not long to go mate!!!  does the new ride weigh much?  she looks a sturdy girl  ;)

Shings

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 05:39 PM »
it's not only the procection....they do give you the added confidence to try that little bit harder.   :daumenhoch:

not long to go mate!!!  does the new ride weigh much?  she looks a sturdy girl  ;)

I know- need to get paid up lol...

I got nowt to compare to but she seems ok- handlebars are a bit too slim for me... but I'll get there

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Protective gear- recomendations?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx