gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  urgent brake help please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: urgent brake help please  (Read 1168 times)

djweston

urgent brake help please
« on: October 07, 2007, 08:49 PM »
ive built up this condor, the gyro upper is loose, how do i tighten it, these are 1" superforks, do i need 1" or 1 1/8th spacers to sort it??
thanks

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: urgent brake help please
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 08:55 PM »
How do you mean its loose?  the top hanger or top cable?

djweston

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 08:58 PM »
How do you mean its loose?  the top hanger or top cable?
the cables not pulled tight, its hanging off the gyro & its loose in the lever, theres too much slack

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 09:00 PM »
OK,  so first of all, is the lower cable adjuster wound all the way out so it pulls the gyro bearing as far down as possible?

And then the upper cable adjusters wound all the way out so they're as high as possible?

Then make your final adjustment at the lever....

djweston

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:02 PM »
OK,  so first of all, is the lower cable adjuster wound all the way out so it pulls the gyro bearing as far down as possible?

And then the upper cable adjusters wound all the way out so they're as high as possible?

Then make your final adjustment at the lever....
still too loose up top, i sorted it on my old bike by adding another headset spacer but these are 1" threaded superforks, can i add a spacer & if so what size?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Yeah, you can space out as you see fit. I would say you could chuck a 1 1/8th spacer in directly under the top gyro plate, that shouldn't upset the headset at all   :)

djweston

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 09:07 PM »
Yeah, you can space out as you see fit. I would say you could chuck a 1 1/8th spacer in directly under the top gyro plate, that shouldn't upset the headset at all   :)

the top gyro plate seems to be too close to the bottom thats why the cables loose, dont know what to do on this thing though  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:11 PM »
The top gyro plate can be flipped over.  Do you have it so it creats the biggest gap? 

djweston

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 09:13 PM »
The top gyro plate can be flipped over.  Do you have it so it creats the biggest gap? 
its at the biggest gap, its just not big enough

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 09:14 PM »
what lever is that your using?

On an Old style threaded 1" gyro setup, you dont really have much room between the upper and lower gyro plate but you can usually get the slack out of the upper cable using the adjusters. Ive had a few where the adjuster on the top splitter and the lever were both all the way out, but I always got all the slack out.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 09:16 PM »
OK, so the headset is tensioned in the good old threaded stylee, so you could space things out a bit more no worries.  What is that under the stem top bolt?  it looks meaty.....

djweston

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 09:17 PM »
what lever is that your using?

On an Old style threaded 1" gyro setup, you dont really have much room between the upper and lower gyro plate but you can usually get the slack out of the upper cable using the adjusters. Ive had a few where the adjuster on the top splitter and the lever were both all the way out, but I always got all the slack out.
its just that tiny bit too slack

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 09:17 PM »
can you get a few closer pics of the gyro and stem?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 09:19 PM »
Actually.......

It looks a bit odd now I look at it again.  Lets have some close ups so me and Alex can tear it to bits!!!   ;D

djweston

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 09:22 PM »
i'll take some pics tomorrow & stick them on & im knackered, thanks for the help......

SaMAlex

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 09:24 PM »
I was thinking that the lever looked a bit "Vee" ish ... but that shouldnt make the slack on the upper cable any worse, it would just make the gyro move more, and the brake feel (and work) crap.

It might just be the angle of the lever in that one pic

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 09:32 PM »
Yeah, it does look a little cooky in the photo.  Also, I don't see a headset nut - if they're 1" threaded then there should be a nut under that stem.  I replaced mine with one of those GSport top hanger jobbies...

djweston

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Yeah, it does look a little cooky in the photo.  Also, I don't see a headset nut - if they're 1" threaded then there should be a nut under that stem.  I replaced mine with one of those GSport top hanger jobbies...
there hoffman superforks, they have a shim & 1 1/8th clamp on stem, there not old standard 1" threaded forks

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Sorry fella.  Misunderstanding... You called em threaded superforks earlier on....  So what you have is  1" aheadset Superforks with a later 1 1/8th stem on top.  Cool, no worries.  As I mentioned in a previous post, go ahead and add spacers under your stem as you see fit. You could use  1 1/8th spacers directly under the stem, that would be ok, just not directly on top of the headset - or use another shim if thats easier than finding 1" spacers   :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  urgent brake help please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx