gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 03:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  HELP & ADVICE!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HELP & ADVICE!!  (Read 687 times)

sprbmx

HELP & ADVICE!!
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:32 PM »
1st time post so be gentle lol!!!
Having decided it's now time to sell the Schwinn & build an old school bike I am after some thoughts & help on the way to go!
I have an Ammaco frame & forks in white (not sure of the model or year, it has the welded gusset with the hole in it & the welded brace at the bottom of the downtube/seattube??) so any help there would be appreciated!
I'm going to build it to ride & hopefully race so what wheels do you reckon? I quite fancy some Skyways (as I never had any as a kid) - will they be any good for racing or should I stick to spokes? Got most of the other bits sorted so really just stuck on wheels - not building it into a replica or anything just a rideable/raceable bike.
Also any help & advice on how to get into the OS racing scene....is there any racing in the North Midlands or North West as most of the meetings seem to be in the South?
Think that's about it for starters......Cheers

dialledbikes

Re: HELP & ADVICE!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:46 PM »
Hi.

Most people will say get some wire wheels to race on (they're probably right) but if you like the Skyways, then go for it.  I put Skyway graphites on my OS bike for the exact same reason as you - I never had them as a kid.  And they're an OS icon, so it's nice to see Tuffs on bikes.

As for OS races local to you - Bulwell in Nottingham has had some races.  And I think the Midlands champs at Mansfield later this month (14th) also has an OS class.

There are people far more knowledgable than me on here, so hopefully they will fill any gaps I've left.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Hi and welcome to RAD mate  :daumenhoch:  as for Tuffs? well if you're going tor ace the bike then i would go for spokes over Tuffs, purely as Tuffs flex quite a bit and we're all a little heavier than we used to be  ;)

regards OS racing up north/midlands......give Dingo (that's his username) a PM (personal message, you'll see the little green icon under each members profile) and talk to him as i know he's setting something up  :daumenhoch:

oh and get some pics up of the bike and someone will be able to tell you what it is

BigG

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:38 PM »
NW tracks at Preston  :daumenhoch: Coppull  :daumenhoch: and Lytham mate  :daumenhoch:!! 

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  HELP & ADVICE!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx