gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 05:33 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Grind Magazine – 1996 (loads of scans)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Grind Magazine – 1996 (loads of scans)  (Read 5230 times)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Grind Magazine – 1996 (loads of scans)
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 08:08 AM »
alex didnt you have a few pics from 96 backyard with you and ian and the girlies.
"The last resort" was 96 backyard jam i think.but you could always try stuart dawkins

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Right - I was with the 'F**k you we're from Devon' group at that 96 backyard - I remember piles and piles of Grind mag for sale - I bought one and quite liked it, tho at the time Ride was great and Grind couldnt compare really. I met Mat Hoffman i think at that jam and wanted him to sign something - he signed the label off of my cider bottle. Brilliant. I think also tht was the jam when my mateTommy Bowers nailed his ballbag to a piece of wood.
do you think jams in the new school world are as fun nowadays????
steve

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 09:26 PM »
it would imo be more of a show   back then it was more balls out  crash n burn
and one hell of a laugh  todays i think snub people a bit more but not all.

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 09:33 PM »
i got that mag in loft, might have to get it down and look through it again. never really liked it back then

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 09:35 PM »
too much red tape these days! there was a free for all rumble an the vert ramp over night and plenty of tent jumping going on.

SaMAlex

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 09:52 PM »
And to tie in the "Grind mag" and the "backyard" topics that are going on here ... one year, didnt someone paint onto the Vert ramp "SUCKS" under where it said "RIDE mag"?

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 09:59 PM »
i think i remember that. was that 97. i think the 96 ramp was green with a massive s&m logo on it. can't remember the colour for 97. but remember the defacing! there was also some guys selling t shirts that said ripoff in the ride mag lettering style. i think laz bought one. i went for the less political super big trails t shirt done with a tennents beer logo

SaMAlex

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 10:32 PM »
I realised something just now. In Grind there were quite a few 'how to' sequences. One of them was a mini ramp 50-50. The rider was a guy called Ian from Banbury. Well, I went riding in Banbury today ... with Ian! I recon thats quite cool, that we are both still riding and all that. Ians on here but doesnt log on that much. His username is subversion and he was rippin today!

christhejob

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 05:49 AM »
And to tie in the "Grind mag" and the "backyard" topics that are going on here ... one year, didnt someone paint onto the Vert ramp "SUCKS" under where it said "RIDE mag"?
i believe this was the birth of the union in 95!!  there were about a thousand people staying at harry and al blakey's flat, jon dye, stu king dave beveridge and some others came back laughing like drains.. They had decided to deface the ride logo on the halfpipe.  Once at the ramp they said "what do we paint?" the suggestion "b0llocks" was mooted, then came the classic line "yeah, but with an X!"..  so b0lox it was!   backyard 95 ruled.. so much fun!  the last of the classics before the big crazy field ones..

dialledbikes

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 02:26 PM »
Alex, was 1995 the one when Mike "The Boy" Ocoboc came over with the S&M team?

What happened to him?  He was rad.

That was probably the last "real" Backyard Jam I went to, though I still went to the others until 1997/8 (the one when Butler, Barspinner Ryan and Chad Herrington came over).

SaMAlex

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Mike, does this help?

1991, local vert and flat comp.
1992, McCoy, Fuzzy. Bexhill + vert in a field
1993, Moeller, Treanor. Bexhill+ mini on the hill
1994, Clymer, John Parker. Bexhill + vert in a field
1995, Mike Ocoboc, Mat Hoffman. Bexhill + vert in a field
1996, Taj Mihelich, Mat Hoffman, Shaun Butler, Kris Bennett, Dave Osato, Jay Miron. Vert and dirt in the field with the water chasm
1997, Ryan Brennan.Marvin Lotteridge.Josh Stricker.Chad Herrington.Kris Bennett.Shaun Butler.Jimmy Levan, Jamie Bestwick.Stuart King, Steve Swope.Mike Escamilla. In the same water chasm field again

dialledbikes

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 03:54 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

1995 it rained.  Hoffman and Ocoboc still went for it on the wet vert ramp.

I don't remember much of 1996.

1997 dirt was awesome, Barspinner won I think.  Chad Herrington couldn't make it through all 3 jumps.

christhejob

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 04:12 PM »
1995 england vs germany football match at bexhill..  lemsip was a left wing demon and someone knocked out thomas stellwag (german keeper) as he went for a cross..

SaMAlex

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 03:44 PM »

1995 it rained.  Hoffman and Ocoboc still went for it on the wet vert ramp.

Heres some pics I have from the year it rained off the vert contest.

Wet ramp (you can just make out where they painted " b0lox" under the RIDE logo)

Didnt seem to stop Hoffman (once the ramp was dried off)

Where's we sat to watch (see who you know on here, some are on radbmx)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Nice one Alex - great scans and a great shot of Hoffman in the wet.

:daumenhoch:

teamsano

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2007, 06:07 PM »

think this one got mixed up with your glastonbury pics from the same year alex...   ;D

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2007, 07:09 PM »
I see Tim ruck, I see Geoff Cin... I was next to you guys with the vw camper from plymouth!!

SaMAlex

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2007, 08:02 PM »
Bunny hop king, steve geal at the front with the legs

Yoda on the right, with the finger, although it looks like its my arm

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2007, 09:07 PM »
alex. wheres the trademark socks dude?

SaMAlex

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2007, 09:09 PM »
alex. wheres the trademark socks dude?

Ah, that was a long time ago. I was still on coke (drinking cans of) so I was in the wilson socks with a "coke" logo on them

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2007, 09:15 PM »
not only do i see geoff cain and tim ruck, i think i also see dreadlocked Kev Perry from exeter! And do i see rob ridge too,  far right?

SaMAlex

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 09:20 PM »
Geoff, Tim, Kev ... yes, yes, yes.

The lad on the far right, steve, was from wales, then moved to Newcastle, and then to Oxford. Also, in the back in the green hat is another Newcastle lad, Dave North. And tucked in there somewhere is Derren Bailey and my mate Taff.

subversion

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2007, 09:57 PM »
I realised something just now. In Grind there were quite a few 'how to' sequences. One of them was a mini ramp 50-50. The rider was a guy called Ian from Banbury. Well, I went riding in Banbury today ... with Ian! I recon thats quite cool, that we are both still riding and all that. Ians on here but doesnt log on that much. His username is subversion and he was rippin today!

Ahhhh busted! cheers Al, we had a great sesh in Banbury/Chacombe eh mate :daumenhoch: go on then, post up the how to's, give 'em all a laugh! ;D

I remember walking into WHSmiths & seeing this on the shelf, Sunil mentioned that he thought the photo shoot would make it in & when I saw it I was so stoked >:D

SaMAlex

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2007, 10:00 PM »
sure Ian, I will try and do the scans tomorrow.

If I remember right, Sunil didnt have a motor drive so our sequences were faked. We just did the trick again and again with Sunil snapping the shot later and later each time.

subversion

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2007, 10:23 PM »
If I remember right, Sunil didnt have a motor drive so our sequences were faked. We just did the trick again and again with Sunil snapping the shot later and later each time.

Well it must have looked OK as I also remember some kid I didn't know, coming up to me @ the skatepark & thanking me for helping him to learn 50-50's! ;D

I've still got my copy in the loft (somewhere)...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Grind Magazine – 1996 (loads of scans)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx