gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 08:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  RIDE UK MAG
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: RIDE UK MAG  (Read 2658 times)

HEYWOOD BMX

RIDE UK MAG
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:31 AM »
 :(Just got October issue if Ride.Never been one to knock this magazine,but oh dear-what has happened.It usedto be a good read but is now just full of ads.New Fly Bikes rims in the product section-probably good but seen it all before.What have they got against racing anyways'to me BMX is BMX,be it flat/street/vert/trails/racing/old/new school.

Sad really...

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: RIDE UK MAG
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Never buy it since last years CIN ride mate.........but from flicking through one, i have to say you're right! i'd sau about 70% of the mag was adds

darkersomeday

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:36 PM »
ride stopped including racing in the mag when riders started using the clipless "disco slippers" pedals,

i cant say i blame them like, its just NOT bmx :2gunsfiring_v1:

despite that i do agree, its utter wank recently, same old spoilt middle class posh boys desperately try to be "street" every week,

should be re-named "dire bmx magazine"

muttley

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Lots of kids trying to be as dirty as possible  ???

Lazarou

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:49 PM »
Ride mag has been shite for years! (Except Chris Job's contributions obviously!  :daumenhoch:)

username

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:50 PM »
I don't buy it, or even look - but surely its better than nothing, if only by a little bit.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:57 PM »
i use it to squash flys .utter drivel adds adds adds  ubber poop
i do read chris's bits and move through it quickly  garbage.......

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I always like the 'new products' page, but thats the same for most BMX mags. There doesnt seem to be much to read in RideUK. Oh, what is the repro classic thing in this issue? They sometimes make good reading.

dialledbikes

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 02:19 PM »
Is it just me that thinks this, or is most of the stuff in the BMX mags these days, about the BMX image/lifestyle rather than the BMX riding?

I'm not saying BMX isn't a way of life for some people.  But the riding should always be the most important thing.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 03:17 PM »
coming at this from an old MTB rider who used to buy and read those mags, i really like the format of those.....they always have loads of items such as 'how too?' and tech pages, like how to strip and reasemble a crank? and product reviews where they ride diferent bikes and give them a right good beating, then write up their comments.

I'd much rather read stuff like that about BMX's as well as seeing some dirty looking oik riding up a wall......but pages and pages of adds? and interviews aking things like "what was the last video you watched?" purleaze! credit your readers with some inteligence!  >:(

bof

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Yeh its sh1te , I used to think it was bad when grotbags was the main contributer , but it is even worse now. but i still go out and buy it it is BMX after all.  the George french pages are by far the most interesting. :daumenhoch:

Shings

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 11:17 PM »
This topic is interesting..

As I am "new" to the "scene" I got it this week....

WHAT A fookING COMPLETE AND UTTER WASTE OF £4 QUID ODD.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 11:23 PM »
"Ride mag has been shite for years! (Except Chris Job's contributions obviously!"

hey laz don't beat around the bush. just get down on your knee and pukka up that tongue!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 11:26 PM »
grotbags

I remember Paul riding a crappy odds and sods Supergoose at Haydon Hall and Harrow Skatepark, used to follow us around everywhere  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Arma

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 06:26 PM »
ride is changing i heard  alot less americain shit and more uk shit  and i think  john dye will be contributing so if it is iwill buy it again

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 06:42 PM »
It's always gone up and down in my opinion.  I don't buy it anymore because  a)  I don't feel the need to pay to see adverts,  and b) I have nothing in common with the brakeless whippers that seem to fill the pages these days...

But I'm sure I'll start buying it again one day.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 08:02 PM »
it is pish poor - far too many road trip write ups and pages of whats on ya ipod etc

its a shame they dont do things like proper bike tests, where they actually ride the bikes, like the old days giving em to Sid salisbury to try and break them  :daumenhoch: snowboard mags still have proper tests of boards like this

theres not enough techy stuff in it either or 'how to's'

they should cover different styles of riding more as well

SaMAlex

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 08:06 PM »
THe problem with bike tests is they never tell you what actualy went wrong with the bike, esp if the bike company are paying for add space cos they dont wanna pee them off. It used to drive me mad when a new model frame solved a problem that the magazine didnt tell you about first time. They only said it was ever an issue when they were testing the bike with the solution!

You cant blame them. You dont wanna bite the hand that feeds you, but bike companies should make good stuff, and be held up if they cant ... no mater how much add space they  buy  :rant:

hey, Ive never got to use the "rant on, rant off" thing before! Cool.

WizardWeb

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 11:50 PM »
So far as I can see you don't get proper product tests because it's not about product as it was in the 80's, it's about "lifestyle".

There's also the cynical view that if they started to do group bike tests again, it'd show that they're nearly all the same.  :LolLolLolLol:

Seriously though, the frames are starting to get a little more unique in places, but in the main you can still take the stickers off and no one would be able to tell what's what. It's cool that colours are back though.

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 12:11 AM »
dig mag is better, though its been taken over by guys from ride so that probably go down hill now

WizardWeb

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 11:24 AM »
Just bought the mag and read Wilkerson's top 5.  Is anyone going diving in San Diego bay to look for his old Sport?  :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 11:36 AM »
dig mag is better, though its been taken over by guys from ride so that probably go down hill now

Dig is just Published by the Ride guys. Its still made by the Dig crew

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 04:49 PM »
I stopped buying it years ago when they stopped covering the race scene.  Like many, I am against clip pedals in bmx, but like it or not they're legal and they get used by all the top pros nowadays, so Ride's reasons for not covering racing are pretty poor.  They just aren't interested in catering for 'real' bmx people anymore, rather the middle class 'lifestyle' kids who care more about what new gay micro gearing or stupidly small & narrow bars are this week's must-have fashion accessory.

If Ride think that clip pedals make racing look boring then what the F*** does a constant stream of peg-grind pics say about street riding.  Change the record FFS.  If you've bought one Ride mag in the last ten years then you don't need to buy another, they're all exactly the same.  Filled with ads, boring 'grind' pics, and every new 10lb frame looking like it came out the same factory in Taiwan.  There is absolutely nothing in an edition of Ride mag that I can't find on the net, free of charge.

There was a new online race mag started last year in the USA.  Isn't it about time some web-savvy bmxers on this side of the pond got together and came up with a UK or Euro web-based mag which catered for all aspects of bmxing, with some decent content???

gossa

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 07:00 PM »
SO WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN THERE?  If it's commercially viable then they'll do it and I don't mean advertising, just if it will reach a viable audience.  Do we know how many old schoolers/non clip racers are out there?  Can we get some site stats? How many members etc?

darkersomeday

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 08:45 PM »
I stopped buying it years ago when they stopped covering the race scene.  Like many, I am against clip pedals in bmx, but like it or not they're legal and they get used by all the top pros nowadays, so Ride's reasons for not covering racing are pretty poor.  They just aren't interested in catering for 'real' bmx people anymore, rather the middle class 'lifestyle' kids who care more about what new gay micro gearing or stupidly high&wide bars are this week's must-have fashion accessory.

If Ride think that clip pedals make racing look boring then what the F*** does a constant stream of peg-grind pics say about street riding.  Change the record FFS.  If you've bought one Ride mag in the last ten years then you don't need to buy another, they're all exactly the same.  Filled with ads, boring 'grind' pics, and every new 5lb frame looking like it came out the same factory in Taiwan.  There is absolutely nothing in an edition of Ride mag that I can't find on the net, free of charge.

There was a new online race mag started last year in the USA.  Isn't it about time some web-savvy bmxers on this side of the pond got together and came up with a UK or Euro web-based mag which catered for all aspects of bmxing, with some decent content???

fixed that for you :daumenhoch:

for me its far too focused one one small group of "friends"
anyone would think no-one outside of a "certain area" even rode a bmx,

it needs to represent the whole of the uk rather than just one "trendy" bunch,

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  RIDE UK MAG

gfxgfx
gfx gfx