gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 04:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BMX heaven
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX heaven  (Read 1313 times)

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
BMX heaven
« on: November 22, 2005, 04:05 AM »
I had the opportunity to hang out with Dave Clinton, the Twomeys, JP, Bobby Encinas and some other great cats this weekend. 

On my way back. I realized that the person I wrote about last year was me and saturday was almost like being in BMX heaven.  So with the fear of sounding self-serving, i want to repost my little tribute to not just DC but all the other legends who made my world back in the day 

BMX HEAVEN

An old BMXer dies and goes to heaven.

Opening his eyes, he looks around confused. Instead of pearly gates he sees flag strings and automobile tires half imbedded into the soft yet hard soil. He looks at the nearby foothills and a flood of memories return. Could that be Corona on the right? Is that Rancho on the left? Straight ahead looks like Soledad Canyon! As he squints, the old BMXer recognizes many other legendary tracks.

Out of the corner of his eye he spots a man (who looks suspiciously like  Bob Osborn riding his Harley.) The man--decked with flowing robes, a long beard, and a soft smile--is coming towards him. Only then does the old BMXer realizes where he is at.

“Hello there, I’m St Peter, happy to see you.” Says the man

“Is this heaven?” the BMXer mutters.

“Why, yes it is. Actually, this is "A" part of heaven. One that you can relate to and enjoy.” St Peter says, “Let me take you for a tour, but first we need to get you ready.”

“Ok” is the only word that the old BMXer can muster as St Peter walks him to a nearby building. As they enter the site, the old BMXers spots a small sign that says “Wiz Publications.”
Once inside, the old BMXer sits down as his HBA membership is finished. A stack of perfect condition BMX Actions and BMX News are arranged in front of him. The old BMXer looks through the first few and again memories come rushing back.

“Over here.” says St Peter. “Pick a bike.” The old BMXer smiles as he turns towards a row of bikes. STR-1s, JUs, JMCs, Hutches, early Robinsons, VDC Changas and other legendary bikes are arranged in perfect lines. The old BMXer even spots the long ago stolen Kastan built looptail Redline!
“Pick whichever you want.” Says St Peter “After you do, hand it over to our two master mechanics Rich and Chuck and they’ll make the adjustments.”

The old BMXer stands in awe as he recognizes the master mechanics.
“Let’s go.” Says St Peter, “Let’s continue the tour; put on this helmet and I’ll show you around.”
The old BMXer puts on his helmet and watches St Peter as he puts his on. It is then that the old BMXer notices that the back of St Peter helmet is imprinted with the word “Cosmo” in fancy golden letters. St Peter starts his Harley and motions to the old BMXer to hop on.

“We’ll go to Soledad first.” Says St Peter
The old BMXer mutters a soft yes. Once there the old BMXers sees many familiar faces coming down the track. One, however, eludes him. The mystery rider dressed in white thunders off the gate, flows easily through the berms, and power wheelies out of the turn with absolute precision.

“Let’s go see Rancho now” says St Peter.
A similar scene develops at Rancho. Sidehacks thunder into the first corner. Different riders are there enjoying the perfect track and the perfect weather. Again, the old BMXer spots the rider dressed in white. And again he is awed by the rider’s ability.

“Let’s try Saddleback” the old BMXer manages to say.
“No problemo” answers St Peter.
Again, many riders are enjoying the track. And again, the white uniformed rider is there. Curious, the old BMXer walks closer to the track. He wants to know who the mystery rider is. The mystery man powers off the gate, pedals gracefully towards the Banzai section and performs a perfectly executioned “knees together” tabletop.

The old BMXer finally recognizes the rider. The bike cannot be confused with anything else. The number one on the plate tells the world who he is. The white Kawasaki emblazoned chest protector shines brightly in the sun.

“I Know who that is! I know who that is!” the old BMXer tells St Peter. “He was my hero. His picture of that tabletop on the cover of BMX news is seared forever in my soul. His ability was always amazing! That is Da….”

Saint Peter interrupts, chuckles and then says “Oh no, that’s just God, he just likes to make believe he’s Dave Clinton.”

theRuler

Re: BMX heaven
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 09:04 AM »
hehe good story

hope dave vanderspek is there too pulling 4ft bunnyhops in the infield!

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: BMX heaven
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:49 AM »
hehe

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BMX heaven

gfxgfx
gfx gfx