gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset trouble
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headset trouble  (Read 592 times)

login_user

Headset trouble
« on: September 14, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Gents,
I went to fit the headset to my Proclass Cruiser today and noticed the bearing track(washer thing) that goes onto the bottom of the forks for the bearings to sit on is too big for my forks,tried another just incase i had a dodgy headset,but its the same,the rest of the headset fits fine(nut, washer, lock nut,bearing cups etc etc)

Do I need a special one? if so does anybody have an old one or point me in the right place to get one.

Thanks Mark  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Headset trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:05 PM »
You need to shim it out, a strip of electrical tape might be enough or perhaps trim a piece of thin tin and wrap it round the forks and then put the fork race on  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

login_user

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 10:49 AM »
You need to shim it out, a strip of electrical tape might be enough or perhaps trim a piece of thin tin and wrap it round the forks and then put the fork race on  :daumenhoch:

Thats going to be a lot of shim. My forks don't have that lip on the steerer tube it normally sits on so they are an 1" all the way down.

Thanks Mark

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Might be worth going to an engineering shop to see if they could make a shim up on a lathe if needs to be that think  :-\.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

login_user

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 10:57 AM »
Might be worth going to an engineering shop to see if they could make a shim up on a lathe if needs to be that think  :-\.

I'll turn one up when i'm on nights next week  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Headset trouble

gfxgfx
gfx gfx