gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:08 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Diamond Backs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Diamond Backs  (Read 742 times)

login_user

Diamond Backs
« on: August 29, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Gents need some info on how to tell diamond back frames apart, i want a silverstreak or silverstreakII so i need to know what to look for as to me the silverstreak,viper,senior pro,f1 all look the same.

Thanks Mark

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
Re: Diamond Backs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Sparky is your man, his website has some good info, I forget what it is but I'm sure someone will be along to point you in the right direction

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:29 AM »

login_user

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:56 PM »
Nice one Del.  :daumenhoch:

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 01:29 PM »
Gents need some info on how to tell diamond back frames apart, i want a silverstreak or silverstreakII so i need to know what to look for as to me the silverstreak,viper,senior pro,f1 all look the same.

Thanks Mark

Hi Fella,

They only did a Silver Streak, not a II, though the Silver Streak was labelled up as Diamond Back II.

If you get stuck or need any assistance you can contact me via the site or PM. :daumenhoch:

Mark
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

login_user

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 01:36 PM »
is this a silverstreak or viper  :daumenhoch:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 02:46 PM »
a streak will have a very relaxed geometry(seat tube and head tube) where as the pro's had a steep headtube.a streak should be from 82 onwards and a pro upto 81 on the whole(they do overlap a few months). i had this link in my fav's from a while back when i was researching my DB http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003971#000000 it has some dating and model info from ramon(a proper db fan).
ding dong

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 03:44 PM »
a streak will have a very relaxed geometry(seat tube and head tube) where as the pro's had a steep headtube.a streak should be from 82 onwards and a pro upto 81 on the whole(they do overlap a few months). i had this link in my fav's from a while back when i was researching my DB http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003971#000000 it has some dating and model info from ramon(a proper db fan).

A Viper also has a very relaxed geometry, (virtually identical to the Silver Streak), but the headstock is a few degrees less steep than that of the Silver Streak. A similar model was the Mini Pro, very similar looking with regards to the angle of the seatpost tube, but a slightly steeper headstock. Though the Silver Streak was released during the Summer of '81 you'll be hard pushed to find an 1981 date stamped frame.

I'd always recommend locating the serial number and going from there as it will usually provide adequate information in identifying the model. :daumenhoch:
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 04:55 PM »
the euro bb on a mini pro helps that problem when identifying. better ask ramon on either vintage or os. there are identifying ways for the db's. didn't some vipers get chaingaurd tabs?
ding dong

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 07:09 PM »
the euro bb on a mini pro helps that problem when identifying. better ask ramon on either vintage or os. there are identifying ways for the db's. didn't some vipers get chaingaurd tabs?

That deffo helps, though I know of a couple of people that have missed noting the euro bb and kicked themselves. Couple that with the geometry and serial number, you can identify it, hence my DB reference site. :daumenhoch:

US Vipers, Pacer 500's and Super Vipers had chainguard tabs because they were aimed at a junior agegroup, it was US law. There were probably others, but my interest is only DB from 1977 to 1986.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Diamond Backs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx