gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 01:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Just Curious about First Straight Doubles?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Just Curious about First Straight Doubles?  (Read 459 times)

legolas

Just Curious about First Straight Doubles?
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:25 PM »

I've only done a couple of OS races in the last couple of years (Hayes 25th and MK07) but both those tracks (and every other modern track I've seen photos of) have massive doubles in the first straight. If memory serves (and I concede it may not) large doubles were keenly discouraged or possibly even banned from the first straight back in the day because that was when the pack was the most bunched and the potential for injury at its greatest. I think the issue first came up following the number and nature of injuries from jumps like the Dolly Partons at Poole in 1984.

Have I got this wrong? If not, when did the rules/trend change and doesn't it tend to cause injury problems at modern regular BMX races? Or can it possibly be that today's kids are a bit harder than we were back in the day (surely not!!!  ;) ) Does anyone else lament the passing of the good old fashioned speed jump?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Just Curious about First Straight Doubles?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:59 PM »
They had them bitd, Chertey/Runnymeade has a quite large set of doubles on the first straight, I don't ever recall them being banned though, maybe Geth or one of the other racers can elighten us  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:24 PM »
Sennelley's park had that big set too...remember my dad threatening me if I didn't try jumping 'em at a national there in 85/86.  Did it eventually....some of them you just had to.  Am sure there were others too but can't think if any at the moment

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 11:27 PM »
i always thought it was more a case of weather you had the minerals to jump them whilst bunched in a pack. safer to speed manual but quicker to jump

jonpaul11

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:30 AM »
whickham thorns had a great set of doubles in the first straight...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Just Curious about First Straight Doubles?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx