gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 01:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Anyone here ever worked in a bike shop?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anyone here ever worked in a bike shop?  (Read 1582 times)

Jazzchimp

Anyone here ever worked in a bike shop?
« on: August 22, 2007, 08:10 PM »
And if so any place we'd have heard of and is it as cool as I imagine?

Just wondered, cos it was always my dream job  :smitten:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Anyone here ever worked in a bike shop?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 08:13 PM »
superbike dan  pat    and laz i think

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:14 PM »
twobobrob

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:24 PM »
I worked in Bunneys Bikes (sponsors of Geth Shooter, Dale and Rachel Holmes on GT) and it was awesome, got to hang out with Nelson Chanaday when he was here for the Kellogs  8) and work on all the wishlist bikes bitd
and later (4 years ago) I worked at sShokwave (mtbers will know it and it IS a cool old school mtb shop) in between seasons working for them as a mtb guide around the world  :daumenhoch:

:) DINGO :)

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:38 PM »
I worked in a Halfords bike dept around '86 to '87,  I remember when we were trying to get rid of all the old BMX stock. We had loads of odd skyways (we sold them off at £5 per wheel, I could kick myself now) and had a few unbuilt Silver Streaks that went for about £150 or less  >:(
There was loads of other things but Halfords never sold anything really top range, I think the DB SS was the best bike we sold .

Its not as good as it seems as fixiing up bikes and selling them all day gets really boring, and at the time I was learning to drive so I really wanted to be downstairs in the car parts dept.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 08:42 PM »
I had a Saturday job in 1980 in a shop called bellchambers in walthamstow, I had a great job building Mongooses for sale, used that money to help pay for my goose 2 :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 08:49 PM »
yep i worked in penny farthings about 1/4 mile from rom skate park
had plenty of nice stuff in there
still see me old boss who has a big boxed trailer full of stuff
but wont let me nere it
i will get it one day lol

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 09:02 PM »
but wont let me nere it

Jesus Rhys ! ,

You worked on Penny Farthings !! , you must be mega old  :LolLolLolLol:

macmark

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Blimey, I remember Penny Farthings. They used to have a flag pole by the side of the road with 2 wheels on top, 1 big and 1 small, like a penny farthing I suppose. Never knew you worked in there Rhys. I remember Paul Dudley and his mate trying to get jobs in there when they first opened but they said the owner was a miserable git and wasn't interested.

I always wanted a job in Sixar cycles in Upminster though, that guy had the cream of the cream parts in stock. 400 and 401 flights, graphite z-rims etc. Last I knew he went bust, wonder what happened to all his stock? He had loads of Kuwie & Torker framesets in there.

Mark

magna13

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:11 PM »
well i didnt work in a bike shop but i went in to a shop near me just before MK, and i asked him if he had any NOS and he said he had NOS Raleigh Burner F+F's, odd skyways, aero race kit and even the original Raleigh Burner AERO race kit... in my size!! i was well gutted  >:( >:(

Trev

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:33 PM »
Trill used to work in Youngs.  Andy Brown also did for a bit.

I remember Zack Shaw used to work in Halfords in Harlow and he used sneak into the managers office at lunchtime and phone everyone up from the work phone...  ;D 

andy619

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:38 PM »
I worked at The Bikefactory in Hawaii for a couple of years.  It was great because I got to see all of the new videos first, the newest bikes and parts etc.  I built bikes, laced and trued rims and would daydream all day long about riding instead of working.

Superkav

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 10:43 PM »
well i didnt work in a bike shop but i went in to a shop near me just before MK, and i asked him if he had any NOS and he said he had NOS Raleigh Burner F+F's, odd skyways, aero race kit and even the original Raleigh Burner AERO race kit... in my size!! i was well gutted  >:( >:(

Why gutted?? won't he sell?

Jazzchimp

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 10:48 PM »
This is cool, I always wanted to work for Stetchford Cycles - that was the big one in brum but I was only 14 and couldn't drive

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 11:52 PM »
I used to work at and was sponsored by Heff's Bike Shop in West Drayton, Middlesex.  It use to be opposite the De Burgh Arms pub and the entrance to West Drayton Station.

Loved working there, closed down now but I still stay in touch with Heff and see him from time to time; he's still got a fair bit of NOS gear but won't sell yet  :yahoo_silent:, but I will keep trying   :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 12:06 AM »
worked at laz's old shop for nothing. (attic bikes) nice to be surrounded by cool bits, cool people, and a really fit bird working in the shop next door! all for the love of the sport

Lazarou

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 01:38 AM »
.....and by 'work' you mean watched videos all day and took the piss out of the customers?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 01:44 AM »
I had my own little shop within the grounds of Rom skatepark back in about 98-2001 time.  It was very cool actually, I loved the place. Never made much money but it provided a good service to the locals and I enjoyed helping the youngsters out.  Sold it to preserve a friendship, only to see it disappear within about 18 months....

I designed and manufactured my own pegs and was the first company (to my knowledge) to offer a mixed set  (10/14mm).  Having seen the failure of stainless steel pegs (they were thought to last longer - not true) my next batch were to be made from a different grade of steel aimed specifically at street riders who ground a lot of concrete.  Again, well ahead of every other fooker.  alas, they never got made   :(

I loved it and would jump at the chance to do it again. Of course I'm under no illusion, there's even less money in it now.  Damn that internet...  :knuppel2:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 08:37 AM »
 :) Bet all those who have were way better than the knobs in my local HalfordsShitehut! I took a newly repainted frame in for a friend ,as the b/b & headset cups would not play ball.The place was dead(as usual) and although they had a cracking workshop, the spotty moron told me it would take 4 days and cost £15.00,cue stroppy remark from me.I then went to my local bikeshop and it cost £2.00 and was done in 2 minutes!

The owner then proceeded to show me his BMX trophies from BITD -Paul Whatmough ex Roch Valley Raiders.....

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 04:48 PM »
but wont let me nere it

Jesus Rhys ! ,

You worked on Penny Farthings !! , you must be mega old  :LolLolLolLol:

lol aged well havent i
and yes mark did me yts b4 going to windscreens
and alan was a miserable old git
but loved the vodka
asi got him out of trouble from his missus
got on ok with him lol

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 05:48 PM »
This is cool, I always wanted to work for Stetchford Cycles - that was the big one in brum but I was only 14 and couldn't drive

Yeh Stetchford Cycles was the biz, always remember loads of us riding there during school holidays, TRMs :smitten:. I think there was another shop called H Cycles? along Bordesley Green, a small shop, but had some neat stuff.

Halfords these days do a good range of parts, Diamond Back related bits, can pick up decent  BBs and headsets for your old/midschool at cheap prices ;)

I think MCS Magnum (Mike) currently works in a cycle shop ::)

Paul :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:10 PM by aerostylie »
Vans Style

magna13

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 06:19 PM »

Why gutted?? won't he sell?
he gave it all away!

KELLOGGS

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 06:23 PM »
It was called H Craig cycles Aero, always popped in on the way to wheels BITD. Used to knock about with the Turnbulls, Derek Owens and Steve Bell who all rode for Stechford Cycles and did a bit of part time messing about in the shop on various occasions. Bought my first bike there, ET Kuwahara and Steve who run the shop sponsored our club shirts. If it wasnt for that shop half the kids in brum would have never got on a BMX,

Cheers,

Jas F.

MCSMagnum

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 11:20 PM »

Yeh Stetchford Cycles was the biz, always remember loads of us riding there during school holidays, TRMs :smitten:. I think there was another shop called H Cycles? along Bordesley Green, a small shop, but had some neat stuff.

Halfords these days do a good range of parts, Diamond Back related bits, can pick up decent  BBs and headsets for your old/midschool at cheap prices ;)

I think MCS Magnum (Mike) currently works in a cycle shop ::)

Paul :)

Nearly.... I work for a bike parts importer..... so spend my days talking to guys in bike shops..... after 18 years working as an industrial chemist I packed it in to do something fun.....

Shit pay though, and sadly mostly road and mtb related goodies at our place....

Mike

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Anyone here ever worked in a bike shop?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx