gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 06:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Headsets?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headsets?  (Read 1637 times)

brettnai

Headsets?
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:27 PM »

what headsets (black if poss) where commonly used early 90's? I've got an Odyssey Dynatron on another bike which I dont really want to take off but cant find them for sale anywhere anymore.

any know of anywhere or have anything??

Cheers

Lazarou

Re: Headsets?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:28 PM »
I was using Beartraps until around 95.

brettnai

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:30 PM »
yeah, cant find a black one though

djweston

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:07 PM »
just buy a diamondback one from halfords, £4, nobody will tell the difference

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:10 PM »

what headsets (black if poss) where commonly used early 90's? I've got an Odyssey Dynatron on another bike which I dont really want to take off but cant find them for sale anywhere anymore.

any know of anywhere or have anything??

Cheers

PM me if you want the dynatron headset as i can get these no problem

Jai

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:20 PM »
I was using Beartraps until around 95.

Yip. Bang on.  Beartrap 2, not 4.  The 4s fell apart.  Well they did on me anyways.....  ::)

christhejob

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 09:23 PM »
whatever was in the frickin shops!!

the_cyclops

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 11:52 PM »
Yeah! I used to just use a cheap one and just do it up with my hand when it came loose!

I think some of these guys are missing the point of 'mid school'  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:07 AM »
i used the gt epoch or beartrap as fine with gyro`s
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 01:34 PM »
I was speaking to someone about this a while ago - didn't any of you lot use the G Sport headlock thing?  It screwed down the forks then you set and locked your headset in place with 4 allen grub screws which screwed down onto a big fat washer supplied with it.  It also double as a gyro hanger.

It was the b0llocks.  Nice sturdy thing so you didn't have your top gyro cable falling out, and as long as you didn't bend your fork steerer tube your headset stayed tight forever.

None of this doing it up by hand nonsense.....  and of course, it added a little weight also    ;) ;D

Beartrap 2 - cromoly cups I was led to believe, so they didn't crack too often, then replace them with Rekka when they did.  Headsets were the least of my worries back then.  Actually riding the bike however..........  :-[

Lazarou

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 01:39 PM »
I was speaking to someone about this a while ago - didn't any of you lot use the G Sport headlock thing?  It screwed down the forks then you set and locked your headset in place with 4 allen grub screws which screwed down onto a big fat washer supplied with it.  It also double as a gyro hanger.

It was the b0llocks.  Nice sturdy thing so you didn't have your top gyro cable falling out, and as long as you didn't bend your fork steerer tube your headset stayed tight forever.

None of this doing it up by hand nonsense.....  and of course, it added a little weight also    ;) ;D

Beartrap 2 - cromoly cups I was led to believe, so they didn't crack too often, then replace them with Rekka when they did.  Headsets were the least of my worries back then.  Actually riding the bike however..........  :-[

I've still got one somewhere! I think it's the steel version, i'll have a hunt about.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 01:41 PM »
There you go.  I knew you wouldn't let me down   :daumenhoch:   Mine is a steel one also,  and I'm sure I still have it somewhere.  Kinda surprised I've not seen one on a midschool build yet...

Lazarou

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 01:44 PM »
I had an earlier alloy version but it stripped out, you're right though Rob, they did work.

darkersomeday

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 10:25 PM »
i used a an old gt epoch that ran for years, then a bear trap later that wasnt as tough,

all praise the A-headset :smitten:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 10:33 PM »
Amen Brother   :daumenhoch:

the_cyclops

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 10:02 PM »

In the '90s dialled bikes were for gays (and flatlanders) :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 01:15 AM »
That's fighting talk where I come from    :knuppel2:

That's Gayland, obviously.......  ;)

Lazarou

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 01:29 AM »
I have to say I took pride in the fact that my bikes were always dialled! I couldn't live with anything even remotely loose or brakes that weren't perfect.

:shocked: Anal = Gay!  :shocked:

I'll have to go find a boyfriend now!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 01:46 AM »
Was talking about this tonight at Charlton.  Can't be having any rattling or jingling or owt.  Drives me fooking mental.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Headsets?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx