gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  which bike?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: which bike?  (Read 837 times)

gareth40

which bike?
« on: August 19, 2007, 12:12 AM »
i'm want to get back into bmx after 20 years away so can quite honestly say i've lost touch with it all. as much as i'd like to do an old school build i've now got a son who has a nasty habit of wrecking his mx bike and a daughter who's into horse riding so any spare ££ goes there way these days. so i'm looking at buying a complete bike. i've been looking in the usual places net and ebay and have found these :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SE-Racing-PK-Ripper-Complete-BMX-Bikes-Black-NEW_W0QQitemZ120151153403

http://www.lescycles.com/bmx/images/june06/sport.jpg

i'm not planning on doing anything too  major on it probably a spin around rom and a ride around some tracks with my son. any info on what's out there or recommendations would be appreciated.
cheers
gareth

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: which bike?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 12:46 AM »
trev the guy only asked what fooking bike :idiot2: ;D
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:49 AM »
Welcome Gareth, glad you intend to ride as well...

Dont listen to Trev, there are about 40 of us in the london/essex area that regularly race old school bikes and we cant get enough of it :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

darkersomeday

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:52 AM »
i'm want to get back into bmx after 20 years away so can quite honestly say i've lost touch with it all. as much as i'd like to do an old school build i've now got a son who has a nasty habit of wrecking his mx bike and a daughter who's into horse riding so any spare ££ goes there way these days. so i'm looking at buying a complete bike. i've been looking in the usual places net and ebay and have found these :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SE-Racing-PK-Ripper-Complete-BMX-Bikes-Black-NEW_W0QQitemZ120151153403

i'm not planning on doing anything too  major on it probably a spin around rom and a ride around some tracks with my son. any info on what's out there or recommendations would be appreciated.
cheers
gareth

how tall are you?

do you want the bike for the way it looks or rides dude?

gareth40

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 01:03 AM »

cheers
gareth

how tall are you?

do you want the bike for the way it looks or rides dude?

i'm 5' 11" and would go for how it rides first. my last bike was a trickstar which i liked as it seemed to have alot steeper head angle and felt taller to sit on than what my friends were riding performers prolites etc. so something with that sort of geometry/ feel

darkersomeday

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 01:38 AM »
look for something with a "20.75 or "21 toptube,

these companies are all making great bikes

fit bike co (check out the flow completes 20.75tt)
subrosa
kink bikes (transition and roc 20.75tt)
mirraco (black pearl 20.8tt)
eastern (element 20.75tt)
wethepeople (4-seasons and phoenix 20.8tt)

have a look at them on alansbmx website :daumenhoch:

the haro retro sport is a "looker" it'll be heavy and cramped,
the se ripper might have a suitable tt but the 74deg headtube will make it feel short and slow,
the new se's are better bikes but not as good as the new school completes listed above :daumenhoch:

zed4130

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 07:54 AM »
I must admit i did it the other way around , i had nuschool bikes, but tinkered with OS bikes, now i only ride OS , and my robo has a 18inch tt and i love it oh heres a pic  ;) still all dusty from mk 07  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 12:14 PM by ZED »

gareth40

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 11:54 AM »
the one thing i don't want to do is end up buying twice. as much as i'd really want to do an old school bike i don't think i can stretch to it at the moment unless i can sell my mx bike.

zed4130

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 12:15 PM »
gareth you can build them cheapish , my robo has cost me about £90 so far,  and its ace   :4_17_5:

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 01:14 PM »
trev the guy only asked what fooking bike :idiot2: ;D

genius :2funny:

sorry trev

priv

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 02:26 PM »
I had this dilema last year, all I can say is what DSD has said, get something relatively light, with a good length toptube and pay a few extra quid.  I ended up buying a Felt Chronic which has a great spec and rides real nice however with hindsight I would probably have bought a Fit or S&M  :daumenhoch:.

The brands we knew bitd are not as good as they were thanks to corporate buy outs etc.  Fit are really nice as are the Subrosa and you can pick those up for a really good price. www.cyclesportuk.co.uk usually have some good deals as does www.firmbikes.com and www.sourcebmx.comwww.alansbmx.com are probably one of the best around too, they are like the Carlsberg store of BMX  :daumenhoch:.  Trev on this site also gets some cracking deals so worth a PM to him to see what he's got  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  which bike?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx