gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Moohan`s diamondback!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Moohan`s diamondback!  (Read 3189 times)

moohan

Moohan`s diamondback!
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Right guys i have started on the slippery slope of restoration on my diamondback, firstly the serial number anyone got any idea what this means   OJ - 1084 , it has the baseball after the number which i believe to be from japan/taiwan , it`s a looptail, no chainguard tabs , i got it for free from a guy i know on another forum (american muscle cars) ithas ukai rims , mx 1000 diacomp break calipers , suntour stem and an tange seiki 329 headset.

according to kowalski he thinks it might be a `cannondale raven` but i dont think he knows what he`s talking about unless it`s redline or prolite    :LolLolLolLol:

Anyway im going to attempt to post some snaps so bear with me.

Also any advice on the rebuild will be most appreciated.

kind Regards Bryan

IMG]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa69/moohan70/jeffsandbmx019.jpg[/IMG]

moohan

Re: Moohan`s diamondback!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:57 PM »

moohan

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:11 PM »
i think iv`e found out what it is by looking on retrobsession.com he has one on there with a similar serial no. begining with oj , it appears to be a 1981 senior pro

Manufactured by Koisumi (Japan). Serial number located on rear dropout, prefixed with either 9,0,1 or 2 and ended with a baseball symbol. Handlebars stamped 'CHOMOLY DIAMOND BACK'.

Additional information

Year of manufacture:

Senior Pro: 1979 through 1982
Med Pro: 1979 through 1982
Mini Pro: 1979 through 1982

Specifications:

Senior Pro - top tube of 19" or 19 1/2"

Medium Pro - top tube of 18" or 18 1/2"

Mini Pro - top tube of 17" or 17 1/2"

Availability & Build:

The Pro series were labelled up with 'CHROMOLY' decals on the chainstay
The Med Pro was the only one of the 3 available in Chrome, Blue or Red, known as "Sizzling Red" & "Electric Blue".

The Senior Pro & Mini Pro were only available in Chrome, the catalogue only states/shows Chrome yet the Med shows/states 3 options (79/80 catalogue).

The Pro series used DB 3pc cranks.

The Med Pro was the only one of the 3 sold as a complete bike or just a F/F due to it being the most popular of the 3 sold.

Senior & Mini Pro were only available as a F/F & had to be built by you or the shop (At least in the US).

NB - The Mini Pro had shorter fork legs & shorter frame dropout lengths, the Senior & Med were the same length as each other.

The Pro Kit series didn't have chainstay decals (Kit series meaning you could choose colour options for the parts & either 1 or 3 pc cranks).

The Pro Kit series with 3 pc cranks used Maxy Cross cranks.

The Red snake decals were used on 79/80 models, whereas the blue/prismatic style were used on 81/82 models.

Diamond Back stopped manufacturing the Pro series in 1983, with the last model rolling out in 1982.

Geometry:

The Pro series geometry is very specific compared to any other DB, which makes it the best along with an 82/83 Harry Leary Turbo. Ttheir geometry almost identical probably because the Harry Leary was based upon the Senior Pro.

The Pro series bikes used the same geometry for all 4 years the bike was manufactured probably due to the fact that it worked best & fit the riders.

The Senior Pro seat tube angle is almost 90 degrees to the box.

Serial Number formats:

Sr Pro serials should have a baseball symbol & start with the # 9,0,1,2
If it starts with any other # then it's not a Sr Pro,they were only made between 79 & 82 with the very first # being the year: 9=79,0=80,1=81,2=82

moohan

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:17 PM »
This is the serial no. of the bike he has  s/n 0J-2012

kowalski

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:26 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:
good one bry loving the cut and paste from another site thanks for all the info
not sure if its a cannondale now i dont think the raven came with sticks of brighton rock stuck in the front spokes
anyhow good luck with the resto and if you give in early can i have first dib dobs on the kashimax aero????
 :daumenhoch:

scary_leary

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:29 PM »
Yeah.. steep seat tube,  i'd say Senior pro

but it looks too be manufactured in October 1980... not 81

moohan

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 09:44 PM »
cheers  scary_leary  i think your right.

moohan

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:02 PM »
Does anyone know if the red diamondback decals are avilable for a 1980 senior pro.

Cheers Bryan.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:27 PM »
give cybril a pm he did my blue ones
and then found out my senior pro is a bloody viper

moohan

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:02 PM »
What do you guys think of this?

moohan

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 10:05 PM »

scary_leary

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 10:44 PM »
yeah i like it but..
i'd use a black straight seat post and some black with white skinwall tyres.

kowalski

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 12:06 AM »
look better in white with black tyres me thinks or that nice blue the seniors were done in, alternatively black frame with some chrome parts, not digging that zebra look :'(

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 12:16 AM »
Those posts need taking to the tip !  :LolLolLolLol:

Black tyres for deffo  :daumenhoch:

kowalski

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 12:36 AM »
i wouldnt mind tipping your avatar over a little bit further dubbs :smitten:
and if thats your mrs i do apologise.....you lucky lucky boy

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 07:55 AM »
OJ - 1084

This serial number would equate to 1980, batch J, build 1084 of that year. The Letter does not identify the month which many have been led to beleive.

These bikes were manufactured by koisumi Japan, with the 1979/80 versions having the red snake decals and the later 1981/82 with prism/blue white writing.

It's more than likely a Pro, but to be sure you'd need to check the geometry of the bike, but looking at it I'd say it's a Senior. :daumenhoch:

If you check the news site of retrObsession it has some information about the red snake decals you're after.

Mark

:)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:13 PM by sparky »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Moohan`s diamondback!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx