gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 03:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Replacing some frame parts on my TRM freestyler ? (now with PICS)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Replacing some frame parts on my TRM freestyler ? (now with PICS)  (Read 2943 times)

Shings

Hi All

Just wanted to know -

while looking at my bike (which is in badly need of refurb) the left rear fork has a little dent/kink in it- Its been like it for years and years (before I got the bikein about 92') and never affected anything while riding etc, but I wanted to know about getting it repaird.

Is it possible?

Also can the "bottom bracket" (bit that the crank goes through) be replaced. I have a sneaky suspicion that that its worn oval as the crank used to go loose when I rode it - I used to have to stop and tighten it up by hand.

Jake

PS- in my defence in 92' I was 12 and I used the bike everyday untill I passed my driving test in 98'- its also survived numerous theft attempts and no resides in my loft requiring some love.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 05:56 PM by Shings »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Replacing some frame parts on my TRM freestyler ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:49 PM »
Not sure on how to repair the forks......ans if it's a rider i'm not sure it would be worth it as the cost would be quite high i guess?

as for the Bottom Bracket.......these are seriously strong bits of steal! so my guess is that it was just your Crank Bottom Bracket that was just coming loose all the time.  was it an old One piece crank?  if so most of them all work loose  :(

Shings

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 12:51 PM »
Yeh 1 piece crank.. I'll post some pics a bit later so I can explain.

I did have all the bearings and stuff replaced by a friend mid 90's... he reckoned that when he tightend the crank nuts up it had cracked the bearing casings??????

Sorry for the poor lingo - I dont know what stuff is.. lol- I am a car nut.

Jake

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 12:53 PM »
Hmmmmm sounds extreme.....out of interest what bike is it?  other people may know better but i've never heard of the crank case on a frame slitting through over tightening??

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 12:57 PM »
Hmmmmm sounds extreme.....out of interest what bike is it?  other people may know better but i've never heard of the crank case on a frame slitting through over tightening??

think it might be a trm freestyler :daumenhoch:

kowalski

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 02:39 PM »
sounds fooked to me and they are common as muck,
as a favour to you i will take it off your hands and dispose of it in the correct manor :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 05:20 PM »
If it's the rear chain or seat stay thats dented the best way is to have someone weld fill it and grind back to finish  ;)

Shings

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 05:34 PM »

Its an TRM Freestyler....

Its not the crank case thats split its the bearing housings them selves- they can be knocked out and replaced- the chap who replaced them years ago said that over tightening the crank was splitting them because the internal of the crank case had worn oval????? ( a bit far fetched but hey ho )

If I decide to give it a total refurb I shall investigate anyway....

Pics coming shortley.

As for being fooked and common as muck- maybe in the early 90's I remember seeing 1.... lol... But I get the joke.

Shings

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 05:55 PM »
Here she is.. in all here (slightly in need of some attention) glory- has been this way since the late 90's- last used about 2 years ago.

Originally when I first got her (circa 92' for £5.00) she had red skyways with green tyres, all the other bits apart from the chain wheel were red- I'd like to put her back this way - are green tyres available??? lol

I reckon she wants.
Grips
Brake pads/cables
Re chroming
New chain
New wheels- either new red mags or new spoked rear.
New tyres
New Seat
New pedals
All bearings replaced.
Chain wheel
Attention to the crank.

The dent?

Front forks

Cheers

bof

Re: Replacing some frame parts on my TRM freestyler ? (now with PICS)
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 06:45 PM »
New bottom brackets are cheap, less than a tenner at halfords and also a piece of pish to fit. Oh and by the way that is what  is commonly known as a survivor and its nice as fook. ;D but if you want to restore it using  NOS parts and a rechrome which is possible although the stickers will be a real bitch to find but will be worth it in the end, it will just cost you quite a bit of money. :daumenhoch: so good luck and happy searching for parts. :LolLolLolLol:

Shings

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 12:13 AM »
New bottom brackets are cheap, less than a tenner at halfords and also a piece of pish to fit. Oh and by the way that is what  is commonly known as a survivor and its nice as fook. ;D but if you want to restore it using  NOS parts and a rechrome which is possible although the stickers will be a real bitch to find but will be worth it in the end, it will just cost you quite a bit of money. :daumenhoch: so good luck and happy searching for parts. :LolLolLolLol:

Cheers.... a survivor..

Might just get it a bit more useable and leave it- call it the "rat" look lol.

I do want to get it all nice though- cost is sort of irrelevant.. I am used to spending £400 on a set of injectors or 2 tyres so I can deal with it.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 08:04 AM »
Like BOF says, a damn good clean up, new tyres and essentials like the BB and leave it as is - a true survivor  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Shings

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 12:49 PM »
Will it look silly with new tyres, grips, cables, pedals etc? being that the frame is a bit mingin

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 12:59 PM »
Not at all mate.......get it done and you'll love it!!  :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 01:09 PM »
fill the dents with regular bodyfiller

don't go welding it. won't do it any good
then paint it

white is always good!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Replacing some frame parts on my TRM freestyler ? (now with PICS)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx