gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 19, 2024, 11:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Action Zone Bars
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Action Zone Bars  (Read 3012 times)

Trev

Re: Action Zone Bars
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 01:50 AM »
come on dave, sort out a new school version of the az bars. there's money to be made there....

rosscoe

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 05:57 PM »
me trying to break mine during one of the broady street sessions. launchramp wall ride to flat.........80s cover shot :coolsmiley:

:Great_Britain:

bsdforever

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 08:22 PM »
I had a few pairs and they were defo the best BITD, they never bent or broke - what were they made of?

all mine had AZ stamped in them and I'm pretty sure they were brazed not tig-welded

the peoples hero Craig Campbell had a set on his all chrome GT at Holeshot in 1987, that was a really nice bike

also I'm pretty sure I have some spare stickers too if anyone needs 'em, I'll have a rake about
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 08:24 PM by bsdforever »

Rad Robbo

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 08:45 PM »
Dave,

Was there a link between your Action Zone Bars and the VDC ones other than style. Must admit always used to run Woody bars BITD till I bought a set of these, the crossbar was great and a great match for my Free Agent top tube, oh and my boney butt as it was back then  fitted a treat:)

Was it my imagination or did they have the same sweep and dimensions in rise and width?

Another Great British product :Great_Britain:

username

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 12:10 PM »
I had a few pairs and they were defo the best BITD, they never bent or broke - what were they made of?

all mine had AZ stamped in them and I'm pretty sure they were brazed not tig-welded

They were Reynolds tubing but not the stuff that other frames were being knocked up with - like the AZ stamping I can't remember but I do know we had to pay a lot more than what we could have got them them made (in 501 0r 531) for because of the higher grade tubing. I'll try and dig up some of the old paperwork / invoices etc. and get a definitive answer to that. And yes they were brazed which gave them them a lot of their strength :)

Dave,

Was there a link between your Action Zone Bars and the VDC ones other than style. Must admit always used to run Woody bars BITD till I bought a set of these, the crossbar was great and a great match for my Free Agent top tube, oh and my boney butt as it was back then  fitted a treat:)

Was it my imagination or did they have the same sweep and dimensions in rise and width?

Another Great British product :Great_Britain:

No , my memories are all messed up but I am sure they were before Woody's - the original geometry was a tweaked GT Performer bar which we changed the dimensions and angles particularlly the upsweep and backsweep....

The only link between VDC and Action Zone was that the very first prototypes were made by VDC when I picked up my Changa but I had already snapped them before I got back to London so we found a higher quality manufacturer where we had more control, and the rest is history.....

Rad Robbo

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 12:40 PM »
Thanks for the insight Dave, they sure were brazed well  ;)  Never bent mine :knuppel2:

Do you remember how many pairs were made?

username

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 12:58 PM »
When I go back to check the tubing specs I'll be able to tell you how many...

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 10:22 PM »
Only ever had one set of AZ bars which I inherited from Dave Slade and they were and still are my all time favourites bars!

Dave Slade was also the only person I know who managed to bend some too after one of his legendary heavy slams - bless!

Good to have you on here DC, get your finger out and lets have a new school version....you know it makes sense mate!

Daz.

:daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Action Zone Bars

gfxgfx
gfx gfx