gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 09:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  DO YOU THINK THERE WAS A NORTH/SOUTH DIVIDE BITD??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DO YOU THINK THERE WAS A NORTH/SOUTH DIVIDE BITD??  (Read 571 times)

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
DO YOU THINK THERE WAS A NORTH/SOUTH DIVIDE BITD??
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:10 AM »
just looking through some threads with old park photos it
got me thinking :D
when bmx was at its height the miners strike was in full flow :2gunsfiring_v1:
this must have had an impact.
all the old photos i see from parks down south are full of
expensive bikes hutch,skyways,haros,rippers etc.
from what i can remember theses sorts of machines were a very
rare sight on our local tracks and were only usually seen when
organised events happened.
our track was mainly burners, puch, falcon pro etc.
i remember someone turning up one day with a brand new
super tuff burner and we all thought he was a snob :LolLolLolLol:
I BLAME THATCHER :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1:
its her fault i had a crappy bike >:D >:D :2funny:

the_cyclops

Re: DO YOU THINK THERE WAS A NORTH/SOUTH DIVIDE BITD??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:20 AM »
If you remember the old mags such as BMX action Bike and BMX BiWeekly/BMX Freestyle there was definitely a 'scene' to each one, but I think it was due to its location

BMX Action Bike was based in Central London (139 Tooley st iirc!!!!) and most of its content was based around London and the south

BMX BiWeekly/BMX Freestyle was based somewhere oop north and a lot of its content was us Northerners such as Andy Preston, Mike Pardon and Andy Irwin.

I think that the probably wasn't that much difference in the bikes people had in the North/South. When I lived in Stockport there were kids riding PK Rippers,Hutch Trickstars,Haro Freestylers,JMCs etc especially if you went to places like Ardwick indoor skatepark or maybe Bruntwood BMX track!

I just think that the pics in the magazines showed a biased view (and lets face it BMX Action Bike was a much bigger selling magazine than BMX BiWeekly,BMX racer or any of the others!)

I must admit though that When I had my Kuwahara Lazerlite I was a bit of a minor celeb at my school!

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 11:57 AM »
Most people all had burners and catalogue bikes around my area when I first started out, luckily for me my Dad was one of these people who insisted in buying quality. So instead of buying some Ammaco like my mate had, he ended up buying me a Silver Streak because the salesman told him it was a much better quality bike... I think I slept with it that night! I think I rose to super stardom with the locals!

You only saw really good bikes when you went to the track or when some event was on so there were some quality bikes up north just not around me.. well not for a couple of years anyway

highrisedrifter

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Most people down our way started off on Burners.

However, I had a T/A, so did a few friends. There were quite a few Gen1's, Pro Performers, Trickstars and Quads about in our little group though.

Mind you, this is south coast.

HRD

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 12:40 AM »
If anything I always wanted a torker or Robinson (before I met my PL20 :smitten: ) Which I only ever see the Northerners riding at nationals.
A long time ago, in a land far away!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  DO YOU THINK THERE WAS A NORTH/SOUTH DIVIDE BITD??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx