gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 05:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Craig Campbell 1983 Article
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Craig Campbell 1983 Article  (Read 2417 times)

kingkeef

Re: Craig Campbell 1983 Article
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 02:33 PM »
I Was at Maidenhead Magnet center when CC was there Practacing one day for a show .. normal kinda stuff very good mind you .... then Bugger me  he went hell for leather at this huge 1/4 pipe. I thought "Fook me thats too fast "and whoosh he must have been 10 ft outa this thing   I kicked my spokes in and walked home.
I have pics but its getting round to putting them up building a bike to take "Maybe" next Sunday.

dialledbikes

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 04:28 PM »
mike i'm sure the tabloid centre spread was sid salsbury :)

Hi Dan.  The one I'm referring to was definitely Craig (I didn't know that Sid had one too though).

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 05:07 PM »
mike i'm sure the tabloid centre spread was sid salsbury :)

Hi Dan.  The one I'm referring to was definitely Craig (I didn't know that Sid had one too though).

yes mate  sid did do one as well  but again can't remember what paper it was in :idiot2:

anyone else remember it ;)
For powder coating drop me a pm

rosscoe

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 05:19 PM »
i've had many a chat with dan about the real old school rom riding. i've also seen the pics.

the thing is when dan, bill stupps and pat first rode rom, there was no guidelines as to what was normal and mental. everything was the same. they didn't know it was harder to air certain parts of the parks than others. they just got on and done it.

i have seen pics of dan ride at rom from the early 80's. there are some really dodgy lines which i have NEVER seen anyone do since.  back then i guess it was just another line for them. i would love to see any of the so called rad rom youngsters try to ride into the snake run the angle dan did.  also i'd love them to try and jump out of the concrete halfpipe the same spot dan and pat used to jump out of. they would get so much more respect from us oldies and their peers if they done those two tricks than pulling tailwhips and to a certain extent even flips.

makes me laugh that, we did Rom several times (travelling down from Notts) and I was convinced the place to learn airs was the pool. Spent hours in it....will post sme photos later for a laugh.
The last time I aired it I apparently was about 1 foot out the top, front wheel landing, face white as a sheet, and never ventured back in (well the odd carve but no airs....) I since realised that I shouldnt really have been doing that in there :-\

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 05:30 PM »
The thing is that when I first got back in to riding 21/2 years ago all I could ride were the concrete bowls, all the new wooden ramps with coping had ruined Rom imo, but now that I`ve got new school bike and have had the chance to progress on the wooden ramps and coping I can`t ride the concrete bowls at all  :(
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

rosscoe

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 07:19 PM »
coping huh, invented by new skoolers to f*ck old skoolers heads up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,great when you learn to bounce of it or get a real good slide going though..... :idiot2:

Ramp Rat

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 12:37 AM »
Wicked scans - thanks mate!! Yes - I remember these shots, brilliant stuff, bags of style. Was one of the major influences for me in skatepark riding.

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 07:27 AM »
quality !
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

greentoad

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Hi Jon

Have you noticed that you have a Gen 2 Freestyler. Yours has a weld under the gusset and also a blue dirt skirt.

On the scans you can see that the bike that CC is riding is a Gen 2 and it looks like it has a blue dirt skirt.

Is the stem the same too?

Next the dates add up - roughly. The magazine is November 1983 and your Haro is a Sept 1983 (give or take at most two months earlier so maybe a July 1983) and the Magazine would have been designed / printed most likely in October - so just enough time for CC to get a new ride and sticker it up?

Your bike is previously unknown so the story adds up pretty well too. If the seller were a collector / into old bikes it would most likely of been on the list or known about.

So, what are that chances that it's the same bike?

Please don't clean yours at the moment.......Can you check for stickers / shadows / ghosting on the frame from where stickers might have been. If you are going to MK, please bring it along, I'd be interested in a good look.

Also CC was the first Sponsored Haro Rider outside of the states, but that was in 1981?. He must of had a Gen 1 Freestyler first, but that could have broke, so they gave him a Gen 2 and 1983 model. I reckon it would be pretty unlikely for a rider to have the same bike for all that time and not damage / break it.

Fingers crossed for you.

J.

Thanks rosscoe :)you,re a star :4_17_5:

jon

jon foz

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 11:20 PM »
Greentoad,I should be at MK with a bit of luck,shall I chuck the frame and forks in the car then and let you have a scout?If I get time I might bolt it all together and fetch it up,will there be anywhere I can leave it whilst Im mooching about?

cheers
jon

Arma

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2007, 12:48 AM »
we were kidz that didnt no anything we just rolled round rom in our own way  anything  is fun as a kid as  you wanna 1 up your bro ,,,,,,, hey  Dan ............  Craig  was  gifted he nailed so much so quick. But  guys the true legend  of rom  and he pissed all over it how and where he wanted and  if he was 18  now in the BMX world  would not be out of place  is  Marco  ,   shit  also  pikey paul   they had stlye and mentleness  that craig  could only  wish for .. Marco  was  like  the  bruuuuuuuuuzer   of the 80s,  he just never had the back up he was a rat kid that loved rom   if  he was a arse licker he would av gone a long way ,  by the time  me and  dan gave up  and he will back me up,  marco  was  the best including  craig ...
why the hell people  dont  speak about  marco and  paul  more baffles me.
anyway theres my drunk rant  dont take it to heart

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2007, 12:52 AM »
I agree.  Marco ruled, end of.  I've mentioned him a few times, but he doesn't seem to be as well known as I thought he was.  Perhaps he was just a legend to us....

No end of session Follow the leader was complete without Nutty Marco shouting  'No brakes, No brakes!' and blasting everywhere   :daumenhoch:

Arma

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 01:03 AM »
he had gordy  style in 81  thats abit fooked up when you think of it  so not  just a god in our  eyes ,
best end  of session  follow my leader  was when  marco led from top of hill hammered down it went straight at the pool and bunny hopped into it we all hit the brakes and what ever else would stop us  never seen that shit  done again to this day .

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2007, 01:09 AM »
I've got a cracking photo of him 360ing a kid sat on his bike out of the banks at Rom.  Full on, all power.  Quality.

Arma

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2007, 01:13 AM »
last i heard he was down cyclone over a year ago with his kid of about 10 and  was riding

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2007, 01:30 AM »
Hope so.  He turned up at Rom in about 99 or 2000 with his kid who would have been about 5 or something.  He had a PK Ripper that had the fcuking lot on it   ;D

username

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2007, 02:21 AM »
First to do 540 airs too!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2007, 10:36 AM »
Again, I agree.  But a bit controversial that one.....    I've got some photos of that too somewhere..  I remember him learning them on one of the harsher flatbanks at Rom then taking it to the performance bowl   :)

DR VINOAH

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2007, 11:45 AM »
pat n bob

its a shame coz maybe its just our lot that only remember marco lara

as we know he didnt get near any exposure to the level that CC did

maybe hawkins only wanted yes men

i couldnt of seen marco being a yes man

rock on marco were ever u r :4_17_5:

greentoad

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2007, 08:38 PM »
This thread needs to get back to the top.

Jay, Dave, check out those decals on the downtube, exactly the same shadows / ghosting (you saw them with your own eyes), blue dirt skirt, unknown seller on the bay, new buyer only been on the scene 3 weeks, and no pictures on the bay just a basic list, the sellers story of how he purchased it, plus the bike was not in the registry. It all adds up....including the serial number being before the photo shoot.

Jon - please don't touch it at the moment, that includes polishing, wire wool, autosol etc - and don't paint it white.

Has anyone else got some pics of CC on a Haro. Please get them on this thread.

Does anyone know CC? If so can they ask what ever happened to his old Haro, before he went over to Skyway.

Possibly another top find for 2007, and another Haro at that  ;)

J.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:15 PM by greentoad »

kingkeef

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2007, 08:41 PM »
Paint it.... Paint it   Paint it.... Paint it  Paint it.... Paint it 

HAMMERITE THE FOOKER

LOL
Nice to meet a green toad

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:40 PM by Kingkeef »

greentoad

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2007, 09:00 PM »
 :'(

J.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:52 PM by greentoad »

kingkeef

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Paint it.... Paint it   Paint it.... Paint it  Paint it.... Paint it 

HAMMERITE THE FOOKER

LOL
Nice to meet a green toad

John knows Im kidding we talked about it today..

jon foz

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2007, 11:19 PM »
Hi mate :)Im keeping my brush and tin of hammerite in the cupboard for now,give the toad a few weeks to dig some info up,greentoad,you sure have a love of all things Haro :4_17_5: get digging

p.s. nice to meet Kingkeef,greentoad,jay and all the others today :P

kingkeef

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 10:55 AM »
Nice to meet you guys too
Be great to see some b4 and after pics of this bike if it is one Greentoad thinks it could be.
I wull get scanning this week in my pile of magz... BMX action Bike b4 anyone asks

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Craig Campbell 1983 Article

gfxgfx
gfx gfx