gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mark Atkins
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mark Atkins  (Read 1258 times)

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Mark Atkins
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:46 AM »
anyone know if he is a member here?

cheers

yoda

Re: Mark Atkins
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:40 AM »
Not to my knowledge... be good to hear from him though. He used to come up and ride in Newcastle quite a bit in the early 90's

Trev

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 01:38 PM »
i did ask around a while back, but no one seemed to know if he is even still riding.

a mate of mine's dad was good mates with roger atkins (mark's dad), but hasn't spoken to him for about 10 years.  probably still got his number somewhere though.

rosscoe

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:33 PM »
Mark stopped riding a few years ago, we did Derby a few times and he helped out at Radcliffe. I still speak to him every now and again. basically he got real fed up with the new school attitude problems, no more fun. he was also fed up with the stick he got for full face, two brakes four pegs and loadsa pads etc etc.

Final straw was some pretty bad back problems, basically due to riding a little bike so much during his formative years.

But, when he did ride it was still bloody amazing to watch, big flatty 3's over the spine at Derby along with all sorts of tech trickery............he used to tell me he was rusty, then continued to tear the place apart, with very little effort

Mark was (probably still is) big into dance music and DJing, spent crazy amounts of time in the party places abroad and generally chasing a good time.

Still Leicester based I think.

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 08:36 PM »
He was doing toothpicks and tail whip nose pics before anyone!! (well, anyone in the UK maybe).

Trev

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 08:39 PM »
one of the best all round riders in the world...

could do tailwhips and 540's on vert and hitchhikers on flat.  at the time probably the hardest tricks in both disciplines.

also did some right techy deck tricks on vert ramps.

christhejob

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:25 PM »
i could be on crack but i am convinced keelan phillips said he was riding with him the other week.. next time i see him i'll ask
mark's dad roger RULED!

the_cyclops

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 11:06 PM »
Roger kept on going to the comps long after Mark gave up!

I remember having a reet laugh with him at one of the Lea on Sea comps (I think it was one of Steve Jacksons comps!)

Lazarou

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:23 AM »
It would be a shame if he has quit, isn't he a mate of TwoBob's?

FIL EBZ

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 07:40 PM »
used to ride Nottingham wheels with him.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 08:54 PM »
It would be a shame if he has quit, isn't he a mate of TwoBob's?

Nah, I don't really know him at all.  Ridden with him once or twice back in the 90s, but thats it.  I think the last time I saw him was at a St. Neots jam back in about 99, he was riding vert. ripping too, as I recall.   :)

swannyrs18

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 07:25 PM »
mark atkins was one hell of a good rider,he was capable of anything and he also had a good attitude,his dad rodger was a real cool guy aswell he supported mark a real lot,i remember going to marks house and riding his half pipe back in 88 what a cool ramp that was.

Trev

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 07:28 PM »
mark atkins was one hell of a good rider,he was capable of anything and he also had a good attitude,his dad rodger was a real cool guy aswell he supported mark a real lot,i remember going to marks house and riding his half pipe back in 88 what a cool ramp that was.

does your old man still keep in touch with roger?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Mark Atkins

gfxgfx
gfx gfx