gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  diamond back
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: diamond back  (Read 1208 times)

singlefin70

diamond back
« on: July 22, 2007, 10:47 PM »
found this old diamond back in mates shed serial no 3G0977 AND A BASEBALL..any ideas on what model it is????was thinkin of restoring it..

Cheers

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: diamond back
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:42 PM »
Serial number and visual aspects would indicate a 1983 Silver Streak, batch G. :daumenhoch:

Check my site www.retrobsession.com in the BMX section, loads of info in there.

Mark
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

GREMLIN

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:04 PM »
I'd go with Sparky on this one. It's a Silver Streak m8.
As for restoring it... Absolutely, it's perfect for a decent resto.  :daumenhoch:  G.

Frosty

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:18 PM »
Get on to cbrgil for an excellent set of repro prism decals for it too! :daumenhoch:

little7251

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 04:19 PM »
u should restore any old school bmx whatever the condition  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :4_17_5: :Great_Britain: graphite x's  what a result !!!!!!

singlefin70

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 07:41 PM »
cheers guys for the info,lucky find that its a good bike,as you can see its a bit of a state,any tips on restorin would be really apreciated as im a resto virgin but love the idea of breathing life into the bike but keeping the cost down,looking at the frame,do u think its possible to nitromors the paint back to a decent chrome or is it game over without re chroming?how about the handlebars?i guess from the replies that the pedals are good and the crank seems decent..looking forward to any replies and advice cheers...........

GREMLIN

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 08:17 PM »
You're not going to find out the condition of the frame and forks or the chrome underneath 'til you've stripped all the paint off.
So that'll be the 1st job.
Get the Nitromors on the job and see how it looks after.
Even if the chrome doesn't look too good after stripping, it could clean up very nicely with a decent polishing.
Plus there's oxyalic acid that would remove rust from the resto.
A rechrome for the frame and forks would be expensive and blow the idea of keeping the costs down.

As far as the bars go. Firstly i'd attack them with very fine wire wool, to see how much of the surface rust just dusts off.
Then a good polish with Autosol or Brasso etc. but once again you'd have to get the surface rust off to see the real picture.
If they're too bad a condition it would be cheaper to source a decent set instead of rechroming them.

Yeah, the pedals, seatpost clamp, rear calliper and stem would all be decent parts and should clean up nicely.
Maybe with new nuts,bolts,washers etc.
The stem top polishes up lovely. I did mine and it looked sweet.   8)

Just my two penneth  :daumenhoch:  G.

theRuler

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 08:32 PM »
it's gonna look smart when it's done

deffo restore it!

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 08:48 PM »
Deffo with Gremlin on removing the frame first to determine the condition, another thing to consider is the availability of the original fitment parts or whether you'd want to customise it. Either way Silver Streak frame and forks are not common, yet a lovely looking bike when restored, but expect to spend quite some time searching. I'm sure it will be worth the effort.

I have a couple of NOS original items if you're intested such as NOS Diamond Back Chromoly handlebars and NOS Sugino 44T Black chainrings which were left over from a couple of recent builds. There are also some items that you can pick and choose, such as the seat post clamp, stem and grips, due to a few different types available on a stand spec build.

Good luck and enjoy the project. :daumenhoch:
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

singlefin70

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 07:30 AM »
thanks so much for the replies,wot a great site..im gonna start on the bike asap,i always wanted a db when i was a kid..result..hardly see any old school bmx down ere in newquay cornwall..ive got a nearly mint 87 group1 with skyways and a dyno gtnsx that i use to get to work..feel like  a kid again when im peddlin like mad and bunnyhoppin...looks like i got a new hobby when the surfs flat..how much was wanted for the db bits that youve got sparky??

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  diamond back

gfxgfx
gfx gfx