gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  homer hubs info
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: homer hubs info  (Read 708 times)

easyroller

homer hubs info
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:59 PM »
I read from a seller on the bay that homer MK2 hubs come with attachments so you can run either metric or imperial freewheels, is this correct?? and if so is it also possible with MK1s? as i bought a couple mk1s and found out to late i had gotten imperial size. (not a big fan of dinner plate sprockets)

darkersomeday

Re: homer hubs info
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:41 PM »
i seem to remember george making the adaptors you mention,

he definitely made a version to run a 14t freewheel, i had one years back, you could run a khe 13t/dk 12t on one of those,

the difficult bit might be getting the adaptor/freewheel of if its fitted with a 16t already, if you need further advice i could ask george for you,

are they on the dsr?

:daumenhoch:

easyroller

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:14 AM »
I actually got the freewheel off now as built it up onto a primo balance 7005 to cut some weight , the drive side is right, and i have been looking for a seam on the right side to see if its possible to "unscrew" the imperial threading area and say screw in a metric but it looks one piece to me, maybe the attachment goes on the left side with opposite internal thread ?,as you can see i am pretty clueless ,  i was reading up at the g-sport site and didn't see any mention of attachments or converters ,and i guess george would get like a thousand dumb mails a day so, figured i would check here first, but by all means if you would be so kind as to ask him for me , i appreciate it, thanks.

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I have never heard of metric or imperial freewheels? I only thought there were 2 sizes (al la flip flop hubs), and now there is right hand and left hand drive.

Doesnt mean there isnt metric and imperial freewheels, Ive just never heard of them.

easyroller

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 10:55 AM »
I think thats the term used to describe 24x 1.6or something threading(metric) the smaller side on flipflop and 30x 1 or something threading (imperial) the larger side of flipflop hub, i read it on one of georges posts at g-sport site so i figure its right, maybe i got it wrong to further confuse matters.

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 11:04 AM »
Ah, I see. what you are saying is just the correct name for  the"big thread" and "small thread" that I have been calling it. Nice one, thanks.

I learn something new every day (well, I usually learn more than one! :crazy2:)

darkersomeday

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 11:14 AM »
would it be possible to get some pics of your hub to identify which model it is dude?

the adaptor would be on the drive side though,

i'm fairly certain the george didnt make a "flip-flop" version of that hub,

ie, the hub would be a smaller/metric fitting and the adaptor would screw onto that thread, then the larger/imperial freewheel would thread onto the adaptor,

he'll probably want a pic too though :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 11:25 AM »
I mate of mine just got a G-sport rear hub off ebay for 99p.
He said its quite nice. I would think so, for less than a pound!

easyroller

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 11:33 AM »
 I had two of them and stripped away the paint with plumbo on one and found it to be  a permant integral part of the hub with imperial (larger) threading,    i thought about getting it machined down to the smaller thread size as i got pretty good machinist livin up the road but the wall thickness after the machining would leave it very weak , i didn't need two imperial size homer 48s,so i sold it on a forum up here ,so its gone, and the one i still have is actually still at my mates, he built it then went on holidays (he's a forgetful bugger) so sorry no immediate picies available but i will do it when i get it back, would love to keep it  if the attachment thing is correct then i effectively have flip flop style homer hub , granted a lot of work changing back and forth, so maybe i will just get me a MK2 in the smaller metric size to run a dk 12 tooth, would be still interested in finding out about the attachment thing just out of  curiousity.

easyroller

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 11:38 AM »
I see how  you could take the smaller metric and add an adapter up to imperial, . Does this sound right ? yeh like you said darkersomeday , was thrown a bit by the whole attachments thing i read under the post on the bay by a guy selling a curtis frame and bits , granted he did say it was an MK2 therefore you could  go up and also back , but i see you can't go down to metric on a MK1. i think that sorts it out.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:50 AM by easyroller »

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 11:40 AM »
i have 3 sets of homer hubs so will see if any difference between them

easyroller

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 11:52 AM »
You lads seem fairly brite any thoughts on my metalurgy thread?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  homer hubs info

gfxgfx
gfx gfx