gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 03:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Anyone know who this rider is?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anyone know who this rider is?  (Read 5939 times)

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Anyone know who this rider is?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 04:08 PM »
cracking pics ralph, hope to meet up with you soon at rom, bring all ya old pics as well :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

DR VINOAH

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 09:26 PM »
yep you are right rob
 thats me next to errol
and shame the pic is cropped
coz dave young ( chris,s dad ) is also present

pikeys top is defo Fila
as is errol,s
and my BJ was hidden inside my olive green MA1

cheers for upping the pix ralph & gary :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:46 PM by V. Noah »

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Errol McClean (sp)  yeah?  I thought it was him, but he looked a bit small in that photo...

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 10:12 PM »
Errol McClean (sp)  yeah?  I thought it was him, but he looked a bit small in that photo...

I saw Errol the other week at Hayes race track Rob, he looked fooking big there  :LolLolLolLol:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 10:22 PM »
I'll bet.  My memory of him is him towerinf over pretty much everybody.  I think I read somewhere that he's involved in coaching now?

ralphtribe

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 10:50 PM »
I thought the same thing - I remember Errol being a giant - big hands! - definately him though. The kid with Red protec and black Jofa face guard is Damon - I think he was stading on Tony's shoulders! lol.

this pic will make you laugh - it's a letter sent into BMX Action Bike in 1987 saying "what happened to Ralph Tribe he was brilliant" - great for the ego except the sad and desperate truth of the matter is that I wrote it as a bet! ...I won the bet... lol 

this other pic always makes me laugh - it's a centrespread from the flimsy (Northern lol) and grim "BMX Weekly" (booo) but my entire bike and body had "BMX Action Bike" logo's plastered all over them - I think they published the only shot where they weren't completely obvious.   How shit was "BMX Weekly"???

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 11:00 PM »
love the bit on making up your own,     what ever happened to,   ;D
For powder coating drop me a pm

DR VINOAH

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 11:08 PM »
classic rOm decals on the BB

ralph
can you recall what comp was on that day??

my brains way to foggy this time of day :)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 01:18 AM »

you would get a free slap from errol when you went to alpine action

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 05:30 PM »
tbh, i met errol at bournemouth 05, and now i remember him being a giant....

i dont think he is any more.

mind you i was two feet shorter in 1983/4....ive grown.,...he aint

Dave
haro, how do you do

rosscoe

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 06:11 PM »
glad you admitted to the do it yourself article.......was aware of your approach but wasnt gonna mention it.......top job

and bloody fine riding matey

ralphtribe

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 10:35 PM »
Rosscoe - who are you mate? MI5?

I thought that do-it-yourself letter was just super top secret between myself and the dodgy bloke I laid the bet with in "The Happy Return" pub in Lenton, Nottingham! (wasn't you was it? - lol)   

You're not the-boy-Ross with mohican-like haircut I remember skating/riding that rather nice indoor half-pipe in Snake-City (think that was the name of the shop - near market square in Nottingham)... could pull off nice (bike not skate) stalls to fakie?... Broadmarsh Banks??? etc

let me know

cheers

Ralph

ralphtribe

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 10:56 PM »
classic rOm decals on the BB

ralph
can you recall what comp was on that day??

my brains way to foggy this time of day :)

That was "King of Concrete" (or "King of the Skateparks") 1984 - me, Tony and Damon, although shitting ourselves generally about competitions (too intense, too much pressure, too much like hard work in comparison to jams basically)   turned up psyched up and ready to enter... only to find you had to register ages before the event and couldn't sign up on the day... pretended we were pissed off about it for about 5 minutes then agreed we were happy as larry - lol - so we could do the jam without the pressure of the 2 minute run.

Regret it with the benefit of hindsite though as this was the second to last time I went to Rom  before packing it in (stupidly) - there was one truly amazing final shoot that we did there afterwards with Tim Leyton-Boyce which was the very last time I went - perfect blue skies, almost empty park, no pressure...  everything clicked... the biggest airs we ever did there probably, all over that Park and all variations that we knew of at that time...  I saw these pictures on slides at the BMX Action Bike office a few days afterwards and they were truly beautiful but never got published... swiped a couple but lost them since... shit I would kill (well... pay lots) to get my hands on the full set now... anyone know where Tim L-B keeps his archive??? lol 

In fact does anyone know if Tim LB is still alive?

I knew someone who knew someone who still knew him when I worked at Getty Images a couple of years back - tried to make contact but... silence... maybe he never forgave me for nicking those slides lol - what a truly top geezer he was - we have so much to thank that guy for... along with all UK skaters... if I met him again I would buy him endless beers.... 

evamedia

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 03:08 PM »
Do a google, seems TLB is still involved in skateboarding in some capacity

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 04:56 PM »

loved the blue and yellow performer, thats why i did this

still want one of them vans shirts

rosscoe

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Rosscoe - who are you mate? MI5?

I thought that do-it-yourself letter was just super top secret between myself and the dodgy bloke I laid the bet with in "The Happy Return" pub in Lenton, Nottingham! (wasn't you was it? - lol)   

You're not the-boy-Ross with mohican-like haircut I remember skating/riding that rather nice indoor half-pipe in Snake-City (think that was the name of the shop - near market square in Nottingham)... could pull off nice (bike not skate) stalls to fakie?... Broadmarsh Banks??? etc

let me know

cheers

Ralph

yup, youve sussed me matey   :coolsmiley: ...........and its Rollersnakes the shop you are talking about..had plenty of good sessions in there including an all nighter on one of my (infamous??) birthday sessions

but it wasnt me that you had the bet with..........just got to know most of what was going on in nottingham Im afraid!! Your secret was kinda safe :daumenhoch:

ralphtribe

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 10:33 PM »
lol - yeah I guess Nottingham was a small city (cool though) - do you remember the last night at "The Garage" Club - ultimate club that...

also was it a dream or can I remember you doing a strip-tease thing wearing a suit or something whilst standing on your seat/handlebars? was it a dream or was it on TV or something? 

what are you doing now mate? - do you still know any of that Nottingham crowd?

Ramp Rat

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 02:18 AM »
keen hell Ralph, forgot how rad you were, those pic. are killer...great to see them again. That x-up in the P-Bowl is well high and the look backs are tasty too.

Ironic #2 BMX Weekly: You had the center spread, Tony had the front cover and neither of you entered the King of The Skateparks comp. That pissed everyone off.   

Funny - off to Scotland with two strangers...that how we did it back then, it was a safe world. NOT! (Hawkins)

I can totally see you writing a letter to BMXAB...that is so funny. It even reads like you wroye it, for chrissakes.

Guru indeed!

rosscoe

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 08:20 PM »
lol - yeah I guess Nottingham was a small city (cool though) - do you remember the last night at "The Garage" Club - ultimate club that...

also was it a dream or can I remember you doing a strip-tease thing wearing a suit or something whilst standing on your seat/handlebars? was it a dream or was it on TV or something? 

what are you doing now mate? - do you still know any of that Nottingham crowd?

remember many a night at the garage matey.....very hard to describe it to anybody who never went.....

and o - the strip tease must have been a dream or a weird halucination of some sort................honest........

and still living in Notts, running a skatepark in Radcliffe, and still see a few of the old notts crew every nopw and again....dont think any of them are still riding though

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Anyone know who this rider is?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx