gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 03:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Diamond Back Turbo Coating.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Diamond Back Turbo Coating.  (Read 781 times)

GREMLIN

Diamond Back Turbo Coating.
« on: July 14, 2007, 04:05 PM »
Hey guys.  :) I was going through my box of brake bits earlier to grab out a couple of black D.c 890's to give them a spot of resto. Which i'm then going to mount on my chrome Turbo. I sat two of them next to each other on my p.c desk, and noticed a bit of a difference. Slightly different colours. Not too much of a revelation i know, but read on...

It sparked a memory i had from years ago (well about 23 years ago).
I owned a Turbo for a few weeks back in '84 and a mates parents had bought him a Diamond Back Formula 1 as a birthday present. He said at the time that he had parts on his new ride that were coated up the same as the finish on my Turbo. Not too impressed i told him he was a knob and to sling his hook  :knuppel2:.

It got me thinking again tho.  So i put the calliper into the sun on the window sill next to me and.. Voilá.. Unmistakably, a Diamond Back Turbo smoke finish, Dia compe 890 calliper.  8)

The best way to back this up would be to double check on an old advert for the Formula 1. So i managed to track down and download a copy of BmxA from Jan '84, and there it was. A formula 1 advert. Showing that the bike came with Turbo smoke finish on the Dia compe 890 calliper, Suzue hubs, seatpost clamp, and stem. It also looks as tho the headset cups and spider on the Sugino crank were coated the same...  Sweet  :daumenhoch:

Then i found a copy of BmxA from sept '82 with the test for the Turbo in it. During the interview they had with Harry Leary in the write up he clearly states the Turbo smoke finish is...  Gun metal blue.  The first time i've actually read someone giving a definate colour for the finish, and from the horses mouth as well.  ;)

So if anyone out there who is trying to get a colour match for the smoke coat. Take a look through any of your spare bits that you thought were black, but may actually have come from a Formula 1 Diamond Back. It does look as tho the coating has survived well because it wasn't applied over chrome.
In the pic you can see the difference. When i put it up against what's left of the survivor coat on my chrome Turbo... It's a perfect match.  :daumenhoch:   Hope this helps?   G.

FuNMoNsTeR

Re: Diamond Back Turbo Coating.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 03:05 PM »
The turbo is a gunmetal blue :)  i tried to gunmetal a stripped chro-moly frame with marginal success. Gunmetalling agents work on Carbon Steel only really... Maybe a raw Burner frame would gunmetal ok  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Diamond Back Turbo Coating.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx