gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  brake lever question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: brake lever question  (Read 510 times)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
brake lever question
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:30 PM »
can you run V brake levers with U brakes? or do they need specific levers?  sorry for the dumb question  :crazy2:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: brake lever question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:33 PM »
nope, v brake levers have a diffent leverage ratio
 :) DINGO :)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:35 PM »
cheers mate........i need some new levers and thought i could use some old V brake ones but i'll have to get some new U brake ones then  :daumenhoch:

anyone got some spare??   ;)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 02:41 PM »
cheers mate........i need some new levers and thought i could use some old V brake ones but i'll have to get some new U brake ones then  :daumenhoch:

Rob, I think you can run V brake levers with non V brakes but not the other way round, I'd try it and see  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:53 PM »

Rob, I think you can run V brake levers with non V brakes but not the other way round, I'd try it and see  :daumenhoch:

You can use them, but if you run a V lever it wont have much power on it. On a normal brake (side pull or U-brake) the lever has quite a bit of "leverage" on it, but it doesnt pull that much inner cable through. On a Vee lever, the lever doesnt have much "power", it just pulls more inner wire through, cos the Vee brake caliper converts the extra movent to power at that end.

If you used a Vee lever on a U brake, it would feel a little strange as the lever wouldnt come it to the bars very far, and it wouldnt be giving much power to the caliper.

Having said that. On a cantilever or U brake, there is loads you can do to alter the feel and power of it by changing the hanger wire so its still worth a go.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  brake lever question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx