gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 04:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  Thinking of racing again aged 32, where do I start???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Thinking of racing again aged 32, where do I start???  (Read 2125 times)

tommyshearing

Thinking of racing again aged 32, where do I start???
« on: July 09, 2007, 04:07 PM »
I brought a 83 Quadangle from Alan’s a few years back  (I raced a Robinson back in the 80’s just locally)  and wouldn’t mind using it in vengeance.   

Roughly how many meets are yearly for those aged 30 plus, I’m figuring the emphasis is more on having a laugh and sinking a few beers, however I’m sure once start gate go up people take it serious enough.  I noticed people like Tim Marsh and Andy Preston, mentioned on Alan's Old School site, certainly remember them from reading BMX Bi-Weekly and watching the Kellogs!!!

tommyshearing

Re: Thinking of racing again aged 32, where do I start???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 04:31 PM »
Probably should have mention, I currently in Bow (East London), East London/Essex, is closest  (used race at South Woodham Ferries, back in the day).

BMXpert

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:35 PM »
Probably should have mention, I currently in Bow (East London), East London/Essex, is closest  (used race at South Woodham Ferries, back in the day).

Braintree Club have a race night on Wednesdays, from about 6.30. A few old skoolers turn up most weeks.
£2.50 for non club members.
Dagenham is probably closer to you though. Im sure a club member on here will let you know.

tommyshearing

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 04:36 PM »
Bugger can't make barking and dagenham track on the 22nd of july, as I'll be at a festival in Spain that w/e.  That it for whole summer?

bmx-796

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 04:44 PM »
There is a race session every thursday night at dagenham with gate practice.
a few of us from here go, its good fun.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Need to correct Vinoah slightly, there is 2 races left in the Old School series, the last one being at Milton Keynes in August,
As 796 said on Thursday nights at Dagenham we hold a club race, its perfect to get started and you will be made to feel welcome.
There are usually about 6 of us riding old school machines so you wont feel left out :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Webdawg

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:08 PM »
Come and join us fruit loons at Daggerz on Thursday, break yerself in gently before the Hersden massive start getting their elbows out on ya :LolLolLolLol:

As the only regular chick on the circuit and on behalf of the OS lady fans can we have a piccie  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:only joking :daumenhoch:

Seriously check the Bad Bmx website for all the relevant info :daumenhoch:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Dagenham is the nearest, only up the A13 by Fords.
Hope to see you soon.

nishiki14

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 10:26 PM »
ps

you,ve come to the right place

we have 1 round left of the Old School Summer Series
which will be at barking and dagenham track on the 22nd of july
this is also the clubs regional event

if it not to far pop by and say yo :daumenhoch:
Oi Steve you forgot MK mate! :LolLolLolLol:

zed4130

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 10:27 PM »
ps

yeah sams right dont forget mk , you can have a go on my robinson bring back some memories   :daumenhoch:

nishiki14

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 10:32 PM »
Tommy, welcome to the clan fella, been racking my brain cells (both of 'em) do I know you, name rings a bell, im the same age as you, I raced national against Sam Jarvis, Scott Vogal, Swift, Louis Meres, Jeremy Tozer etc but your name means something im sure, I raced at the Warriors track a few times over the years. ???

777?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:35 PM by nishiki14 »

tommyshearing

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 09:03 AM »
I never raced nationally or anything, just locally I never really made much of an impact so I doubt I was a name your’d remember. 

Anyway the BAD track is just down the road, so that’s sweet.  I'm moving house this Friday and then in Spain the next weekend, so the next two Thursday are defo out of the question. 

I'm gonna need to buy a helmet and gloves, where the nearest BMX shop for that sort of stuff, cause apart from using  the sadly departed  RADCITY in Benfleet back in the 80's and Alan's to buy my Quadangle a few year ago, I'm don't know where any local decent BMX shops are????

Finally do I need a pads for my Quad as it has none on it???

Ok Final Final, might have to get another bike as my 83 quad never been ridden and as I tell my girlfriend it’s a work of art which is why it is in the lounge.   I think I’d rather ride a bike that been used abit already rather then messing up my pride and joy, (or is that really anal)????

Webdawg

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 09:30 AM »
We prefer to ride the bikes, show ponies are all well n good but the point of having the o/s bikes is to race em mate but it's each to their own tbh, sure Ratty will post up the criteria for bikes for the OSS to help you on your way and u can get on the bay and find something there or in the for sale on here if u decide to rest the Quad :daumenhoch:.

For helmets and gloves etc go to

www.grooveracingshop.co.uk

or

www.greenmachinebmx.xo.uk

I have the silver 661 Helmet, it's nice and light and for £100 u cant go wrong, the Fly £69 is a good buy too. :daumenhoch:

Be good to see you down at Daggerz :)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 09:34 AM »
WHAT WEBDAWG SAID......

oh the old school rules, basically a 1980s bike, with side pull brake and 1" headset, it should have mainly 80s parts but the exceptions are chains, tyres, tubes and brake blocks :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

zed4130

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 09:35 AM »
i would build a bike just for racing on mate, you will be gutted if it gets bashed  :-\ due to alot of help from the great guys here on rad , i built this robinson , and it hasnt cost me a bomb , its just for racing and hacking around on  :daumenhoch: its a mixture of bits i had lying around ,   :daumenhoch:

tommyshearing

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 09:52 AM »
Cheers for the gloves and helmet info.  Defo gonna bulid another bike for racing, can't hurt really can it, owning another old school bike.

BTW how many old school BMX'er are there still racing?

Webdawg

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 09:55 AM »
I think we had 30+ at Hersden, so far 32 pre registered for the Brits :daumenhoch:

With the Midlands race this weekend and hopefully kick starting a series there who knows, we may go National next year and that could just make OS racing   EXPOLDE :daumenhoch:

DR VINOAH

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 10:02 AM »
Need to correct Vinoah slightly, there is 2 races left in the Old School series, the last one being at Milton Keynes in August,
As 796 said on Thursday nights at Dagenham we hold a club race, its perfect to get started and you will be made to feel welcome.
There are usually about 6 of us riding old school machines so you wont feel left out :daumenhoch:
ps

ps

yeah sams right dont forget mk , you can have a go on my robinson bring back some memories   :daumenhoch:

right you lot

i didnt forget MK

my apoligies go out to tommy for not being more clearer

the reason being ,i didnt want to blind him with all thats been happening
and forth coming

for a noobie it could be a little to much to take in

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:04 AM by RATTY »

muttley

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 10:03 AM »
Good to have another racer on board. There are plenty of events happening this year buddy and you could do a lot worse than come down Hersden (Kent) this Sunday for some old school racing fun  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  Thinking of racing again aged 32, where do I start???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx