gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 19, 2024, 11:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid? This this is almost Old School!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mid? This this is almost Old School!  (Read 1817 times)

SaMAlex

Mid? This this is almost Old School!
« on: July 07, 2007, 10:52 PM »

Here is a bike a got a few weeks ago. It is pretty much a total survivor. It’s a Mk1 Holmes frame with early “S&M forks” (pre-pitch with the extended legs), and early shape slams. The guy who sold (in the USA) it said he got it in 1990 and raced it for 2 years. I knew that I wanted to race it in a few OS races, what with the side pull brake and all, but there were a few things I wanted / needed to change. First, I had to sell the 401s, to help pay for it. I changed the XXXXXL DK stem to a redneck (cos they really are the best shafted stems, and the forks need the help of a wedgie Jackson) and I’m not bothered that the redneck stem came out 4 years after this frame. I was also going to put gen1 Prince Alberts on it, but I want to race it and Im not sure Id trust those cranks so I just used profiles. Finally I changed the tyres cos they were some strange mid 90s redline front/Haro rear ones. Ive used black wall comp 3s but maybe something amber wall would be nicer. Finally I put a new chain and cable on it.

Im pretty pleased with it and cant wait to try it out at MK tomorrow.

Frame: 1990 mk1 Holmes, Chrome (with newer stickers)
Forks: S&M forks (pre Pitch) (with pitchforks stickers)
Bars: Old Slams
Stem: Black redneck
Cranks: Profiles
Chainring: Flight ring, 41t
Rims: Sun
Hubs: DK
Tyres: Comp 3s, black wall
Pedals: Shimano DX
Seat: Turbo
Seatpost: Boss
Seatclamp: Peregrine
Grips: ODI Roughnecks
Brake: DC Nippon, tech 77 with tioga lever condom
Extras: S&M Padset, UGP stickers

When I got it, fresh out the box

Today, after the minor changes I made to it, and ready for MK tomorrow

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Mid? This this is almost Old School!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 10:56 PM »
dang that is an early bird   :)  the early bird catches the berm     :daumenhoch:

the_cyclops

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 10:58 PM »
How tall must the original owner be......look at the length of that stem!!!

Its looking good Alex......I must admit to never having owned an S&M frame ever, although I did nearly buy an early Mad dog!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 10:59 PM »
That looks real good, see what you mean about that DK stem, very long  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

darkersomeday

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:01 PM »
looks so much better, way tougher :daumenhoch:

give em hell bro :LolLolLolLol:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 11:39 PM »
That looks a bit scary :daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

EL CID

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 06:26 AM »
what size seat and chain stays? the decals have to be wrong if its a mk 1/ dont get me wrong I will ride the shiite out of it!!!!!

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 07:59 PM »
what size seat and chain stays? the decals have to be wrong if its a mk 1/ dont get me wrong I will ride the shiite out of it!!!!!

Its the thinner seat stay Holmes (mk1). It has def had a sticker change, as have the forks cos they aint pitchforks.

I rode this bike today at the Stephen Murray race at Milton Keynes. I totally loved it and had a great time. It felt very light and nimble, and I wasnt at all worried about the strength of any of it (even the forks!). I cant wait to get out on it again.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 08:01 PM »

Its the thinner seat stay Holmes (mk1). It has def had a sticker change, as have the forks cos they aint pitchforks.

I rode this bike today at the Stephen Murray race at Milton Keynes. I totally loved it and had a great time. It felt very light and nimble, and I wasnt at all worried about the strength of any of it (even the forks!). I cant wait to get out on it again.

how did you get on Alex?

:) DINGO :)

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 08:22 PM »
The b****y thing works too!!  After Alex stacked exiting the second berm at MK I thought he was done for but the bugger got back on and nearly took me over the fourth berm as he charged after the pack.  Watch him at MK in August as he's going to blitz you!!  Humps

SaMAlex

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 08:26 PM »
yeah, sorry about that. After sliding out the first time, I didnt really wanna turn the bars any more than I had to, resulting in riding the burm high ... straight into you. You can tell Im not a REAL BMX racer cos I would have felt terible if I had pushed you over.

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 08:52 PM »
You can tell Im not a REAL BMX racer cos I would have felt terible if I had pushed you over.

If you'd been an OSSS07 rider you'd have come at me with elbows out and either barged me off or t-boned me!!   ;) Humps

Lazarou

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavleeeee!

dialledbikes

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 05:17 PM »
Awesome ride and totally OS legal.

The geometry will be heaps better than other OS bikes too.

SaMAlex

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 08:54 PM »

Too right. Things really started to change with bike geomerty in the early 90s and this frame was a fine example of the turn for the better. Its amazing what a difference a rider owned company who make the bikes the riders want can make ... right Mike?  :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 09:30 PM »

Too right. Things really started to change with bike geomerty in the early 90s and this frame was a fine example of the turn for the better. Its amazing what a difference a rider owned company who make the bikes the riders want can make ... right Mike?  :daumenhoch:

It's difficult to draw the line between old school and mid school.  I'd say that S&M right there is on the cusp of OS and NS as it still uses old school technology (shafted stem, caliper brakes, US BB) but new school thinking (thicker dropouts, better geometry, stronger tubing).

People like Moeller, Bob Morales, Moliterno, Hoffman, James Shepherd, Ruben Castillo (and many more) were pioneers of the rider owned company and paved the way for people like me to follow a dream.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid? This this is almost Old School!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx