gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 10:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Race Bike advice needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Race Bike advice needed  (Read 1717 times)

Rexy

Race Bike advice needed
« on: November 07, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Hello,

just joined the forum. Rode orignally '81-'86 in the midlands mainly. Went to a race recently and want to get back into the racing scene (as I saw lots of old duffers about my age there!).

Can you recommend a frame, bars, wheels for me for racing. I am 6''2'' so its going to need to be a big frame 22'' TT or something like that. Have been looking at Avent or Supercross mainly but there is a wide range. Got about 600 quid for the bike.

Thanks for the help.

Rhys.

gudge

Re: Race Bike advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 05:24 PM »
Hey rexy!,
Raced about the same time myself, went to a 'hayes' hawks meeting a couple of months ago and was sorely tempted to give it another go myself.Anyway have a look at Vintage Bmx .com and go to the ghp link. Greg is about to start making frames again, taking orders for Christmas by the look of it.
Go on you knw you wanna! Gudge

mightymini

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 06:27 PM »
just got an s&m rv, super sweet ride.

Flying_fox

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 06:31 PM »
The best thing to do is try and have a go on as many bikes as you can, dont rush in until you've found one you like. If you go to some winter regionals most people would be more than happy to let you have a go on their bike. Also look second hand around now, lots of people only race a frame for a year then sell it.

Where do you live now? Do you know where your cloest club is? If not I should be able to help you out with a contact number and name.

Hayes Hawks is full of silly old men, so if you come to a meeting there don't let that put you off! ;)

Flying_fox

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 06:35 PM »
just got an s&m rv, super sweet ride.

Did you? Good stuff! What colour? Got any pics to post in the new school section?

I ride a Standard 125R, its the mutts, I've never ridden a nicer 20". (forgot to mention that in my first post.)

Rexy

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 07:01 PM »
Thanks for the tips so far.

I am in Cambridge, so Royston is nearest.  Went to P'borough to whet the appetitie a couple of weeks ago and will go to Royston on the 20th to check it out again.  Happy to consider 2nd hand but the 'Bay is full of Old School which I like a lot but isnt very practical for racing. If anyone is selling a decent frame (or bike for that matter) then give me a shout.

Cheers.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 08:06 PM »
You could try a Kappa which is 'New School' but has that old school retro look.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 08:09 PM »
and sandro as gotone for sale aswell just frame tho

Rexy

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 08:18 PM »
I'd love a Kappa but are they stong enough to race?  I was/am concerned that they maybe more showbike than racer (no disrespect intended!)? Needs to be a big frame as well.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 08:26 PM »
No need to worry about Kappa's they are as strong as they come.  Top Tube on the K-20 is 21", rear triangle is 13.875"-15".

mightymini

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 08:50 PM »

Rexy

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 09:09 PM »
Nice. 

theRuler

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 09:10 PM »
nice until the wife spots the filthy bike in the clean lounge  :)

mightymini

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 09:58 PM »
nice until the wife spots the filthy bike in the clean lounge  :)
blame the kids  ;)

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 10:36 PM »
How do you get away with bikes indoors guys??  Anyway to the original writers post.  Why not try a cruiser??  If you're at Royston you try out my son's Haro SX and my FELT and I'm sure one of the 'old boys' will let you sample their PK's.  Take Miles's advice and try a few bikes out and then take the plunge.  Mark Seaman of GROOVE Racing will be delighted to sell you something.  Humps

steveN

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 10:41 PM »
Mark,
You had better get that bike cleaned before the weekend. We do not want you messing up the track. As for the kids leave them alone and set an example.

Steve

mightymini

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 11:07 PM »
Mark,
You had better get that bike cleaned before the weekend. We do not want you messing up the track. As for the kids leave them alone and set an example.

Steve
it was the kids who messed me bike up. if anyone wants to see a long bike this is the guy you wana see, its a profile with a 1 mile top tube ;D

Big Wheels

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 11:17 PM »

Only thing is it has the turning circle of an oil tanker!!

Only joking Steve.

Flying_fox

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 09:27 PM »
Steve's is a big old bike, and it bloody hurt when it ran me over at Coppull national.

So's Hutchjudge's Dialed, it think that was made for mr tickle!

steveN

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 09:44 PM »
Miles, It didn't run you over, you jumped in front of it.

Hopefully see you at Sheffield during the winter.

Steve

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Race Bike advice needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx