gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 08:38 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Bar ends....when?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bar ends....when?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Bar ends....when?
« on: July 06, 2007, 09:31 AM »
did they start appearing?
I want to touch ORB

SaMAlex

Re: Bar ends....when?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 09:33 AM »
The plastic bung ones have been on drop handle bars for ages. The help to keep the bar tape in place.
I think one of the first BMX grips to come with them must have been those Sharp grips that came really long and you cut them to length. Nice idea, shame the grips were slippy as anything.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:42 AM »
man, that was way more info than i expected......lol

i forgot about the sharp grips........

im looking for a set of grips for 89/90.     are we still talking rubber ended grips at this period, or would somthing like odi roughnecks be right, time wise?

who did bar ends in the early 90's?
I want to touch ORB

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:46 AM »
I think roughnecks were a little later in the 90s, but longnecks for sure. They came with the same ODI bar ends.
I dont think any BMX companies really made them back then apart from ones that came with BMX grips. Jive grips came with bar ends.

woody allen bars

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:12 AM »
I believe Oakley supplied little crud plugs with a certain model of their grips in the early/mid 80s - either Wings or Twos - bit busy today otherwise I'd go check for sure in my BMXA stash

Craig

theRuler

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:56 AM »
i have a set of NOS black "freestyle" grip locks, made by sharp
still in the bag ;)

20 years+ old.

the original sharp 1:11's and 1:11xc's had grip ends back in 84.
freestylers turned them upside down ;)

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Ive got ONE sharp 1:11 grip end .... well used. Its the one that is kinda oval and curves up past your little finger / back of your hand. I might put it on a bike!

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Has anyone ever had a misshap from having no bar ends?

I fell doing a 180 out of a fast rollback and landed on the bars right above my belly button (its on video somewhere). It didnt actually go in but Ive still got a cresent shape scar from it.

Lazarou

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 11:41 AM »
In the early 90's i used Rawlbolts of all things.

theRuler

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 12:02 PM »
i remember whacking pomagne corks in one time

YGT

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 02:52 PM »
your all forgetting that grab on grip also had bar ends as stock.

In regards to alex's question .... yes a fast plant to slam with the bar going into my upper thigh and leaving me with a ring scar for a couple of years (bitd)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 08:34 PM »
I remember a VERY long time ago when the BIG bar trend happened first time around, we had alloy inserts that extended your bars by about an inch either side that also acted as a bar end, this was maybe 82-83?
also Galindo grips came with a plastic bar end type thing too
 :) DINGO :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 08:38 PM »
Once I cut down a pair of bars, but I cut the same side down twice (Im sure we have all done that). I cut the other side down the same and then made some push in ally bar ends that extended the bars, just like Dingo said. When the grips were on, the bars were just solid ally at the ends.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 09:53 PM »
I've heard 3 seperate stories of people losing testicles as a result of no bar ends.......  :shocked:

I ran Grab Ons way back when, as YGT says they had bar ends as stock.  For summat 89-90, Long necks would be bang on.  They also did the same grip in a standard length, but I cant remember the name.  At that time you could also choose bar end or closed end grip for about a quid difference.

Trev

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 02:10 AM »
I've heard 3 seperate stories of people losing testicles as a result of no bar ends.......  :shocked:

round up, round up. get your Proper Bar Ends here.  Save yer bollocks.  £8 posted.  A small price to pay to keep yer marbles in tact.

You didn't think I'd miss this opportunity did ya Rob.....  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 06:32 AM »
 :LolLolLolLol: just wish you had some in a colour i want!!  that's silver by the way  :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 09:40 AM »
Once I cut down a pair of bars, but I cut the same side down twice (Im sure we have all done that).

I wouldnt have thought so ya dizzy fooker :D :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 10:07 PM »
I just found these in the shed. Rory sent them to me a while ago, just for fun. I heard a NOS set of these bad boys went for 3 figures on EBayUSA! I just tried to fit them to a bike of mine but Slam bar are thicker tubing than 80s bars to they wouldnt go in!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Bar ends....when?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx