gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 08:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Help with brake choice
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help with brake choice  (Read 958 times)

jon foz

Help with brake choice
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:27 PM »
I went out yesterday on the master I bought,first time on a BMX in 22 years,besides being absolutely knackered after 1 lap of a track the thing that annoys me most are the bl$$dy brakes,virtually non existent,im running tuffs and am using copy tuff brake blocks,purely because thats all I could find in white,now ive spent a while centrallising the calipers and trying to get a good feel on the lever but there is not much"bite" on the rim,this I found out when I started doing some kick turns on the top of the berm,it felt a lot more than a 5foot drop,anyway I was looking at some brakes that I could use and came across the odyssey pitbull,have any of you had any experience with this caliper and is there a good brake block I can use?im not bothered about it being old school as im keeping all original parts,I just want the bike to ride as it should,I havnt got the most confidence at the minute,especially after the 3 falls yesterday,I have just received some ACS white blocks from the states,I think these were the blocks for the Z rims,will have to try them and see how they feel,feel free to share any technical knowledge you have,I must have left mine elsewhere :)

jon

the_cyclops

Re: Help with brake choice
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:33 PM »
I used to run a Pitbull on a set of Tuffs on my old 86 Master. I went through a few different makes of brake block and found that Aztec Blocks worked best!

To be honest though you'd be better off running a coaster if you want proper braking on Tuffs!

jon foz

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 07:39 PM »
will be in the future,waiting for the graphites,with coaster from the states,I always had one back in the day,just neede something to use for now,I cannot remember what I used to use,supposed thats part of getting old :)

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:07 PM »
skyway freestyle pads or even better vans brake blocks from alans.they will deffo work then  ;)

jon foz

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 11:10 PM »
will try some vans ones then,wish me luck

jon

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 11:16 PM »
Put some AD 990s on it..

jon foz

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 11:27 PM »
are they "U" brakes?do I just get the adaptor?

jon

selfpreservation

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:31 AM »
frestyle pads work good , if your using OS cables they may be past theyre best and stretchy , red dia compe work well with tuffs too , pitbull on rear and acs boa on front is good but not that period correct but we all had upgrades BITD if you wanna ride a bmx proper prob get a nu school or somethin

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 06:45 PM »
are they "U" brakes?do I just get the adaptor?

jon

Yes they are, you will need an adaptor  :daumenhoch:

But they work really well  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Help with brake choice

gfxgfx
gfx gfx