gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 11:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Twiglet Quarterpipes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Twiglet Quarterpipes  (Read 3762 times)

Ramp Rat

Twiglet Quarterpipes
« on: November 07, 2005, 04:15 AM »
Came across these pics. of our first 1/4 pipe, Baby Kong, named after BMX Actions trick team's 1/4 pipe, KONG. We built it from the dody instructions out of BAB. They used a weird method I've never see anyone else use. (Normally you get a piece of string the size of the transition you want and pencil a perfect curve onto a 3/4 inch plywood). This method  used loads of 2"X2" (not 2X4) to construct a curve, (check the side of the ramp). To top it off, we made it 4 ft wide to save money  ??? We went off the side so many times  :D One time TLB came over to take some pics, he had all his expensive camera equipment on the side, flashes and umbella's etc, I came off the side and smashed right into it. He was not happy  :'(   In fact Ralph Tribe got a pic in Radness Unlimited from that photo shoot, anyone have a scan? It must of been 1983 some time.

The bloke on the ramp reading the BMX Action mag is Tony Mackenzie, we were gonna send the pic to BMX Action hoping to get it into their letter page. BTW - I still hang out with Tony Mackenzie, he lives round the corner from me in lives in Venice, Ca. He's still a nutter.

Anyone got some other pic of crappy 1/4 pipes?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 12:45 AM by billstup »

theRuler

Re: Twiglet Quaterpipes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 10:00 AM »
great pics dude!!!

that bottom pic - did you make it or go off the side?!?!

on another note, i was reading an 87 abmx last night (abmx / r&d) and it had a scooter/miniscoot session in it
i swear there is a pic of you doing a scooter bound ariel - can can!!!
only my lack of scanner is saving you from the embarassment ;)

craig campbell and dave currey is at the same session.

miniscoots were being hailed at the next big thing.

Ramp Rat

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 05:24 PM »
The bottom pic I made it, bloody sketchy though.

Ruler, save me from embarassment, don't get a scanner  :o Yeak, those scooters were meant to be the next big thing. One good thing though, I got to fly to Saudi Arabia for Scooter Demos by Ninja, I was out there with Miss England and Miss Scotland, lovely ladies   :D  I was teaching the kids out there how to do a jump rope and bonless ones on a scooter, very sad. Got a nice sun tan though  ;)

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 09:13 AM »
the pic of doing the ariel on the scoot is rad!!!
step up cancan!!!

better than those metal things you get nowadays anyway.

Ramp Rat

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 07:38 PM »
Yeah the step up cancan was cool, it's the socks that I really loveed about that day! man I miss those socks  :-[

That was Jess Dyrenforths (Dynoforce) ramp in High Gate, great half pipe, It had a huge tree coming out of the platform, Craig Campbell used to do his famous up-sidedown foot plants on the tree, way rad! Jess lives in Laguna Beach, Ca. I used to work for him at his clothing company 'England Clothing'.

cymruambyth

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 08:12 PM »
damon, how did you end up in california? was it part of that late 80s exodus with campbell etc.. did you ever end up at the POW house or anything?

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 08:57 PM »
Came across these pics. of our first 1/4 pipe, Baby Kong, named after BMX Actions trick team's 1/4 pipe, KONG. We built it from the dody instructions out of BAB. They used a weird method I've never see anyone else use. (Normally you get a piece of string the size of the transition you want and pencil a perfect curve onto a 3/4 inch plywood). This method  used loads of 2"X2" (not 2X4) to construct a curve, (check the side of the ramp). To top it off, we made it 4 ft wide to save money  ??? We went off the side so many times  :D One time TLB came over to take some pics, he had all his expensive camera equipment on the side, flashes and umbella's etc, I came off the side and smashed right into it. He was not happy  :'(   In fact Ralph Tribe got a pic in Radness Unlimited from that photo shoot, anyone have a scan? It must of been 1983 some time.

The bloke on the ramp reading the BMX Action mag is Tony Mackenzie, we were gonna send the pic to BMX Action hoping to get it into their letter page. BTW - I still hang out with Tony Mackenzie, he lives round the corner from me in lives in Venice, Ca. He's still a nutter.

Anyone got some other pic of crappy 1/4 pipes?

No way. i just noticed your name Damon... How are you man
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 08:59 PM by Carlo Griggs »

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 09:09 PM »
carlo see below

"Props for this great site....Damon Nicholls 'ere AKA Ramp Rat / Bog Rat. I was chatting with Frazer Camps over the weekend and he told me that Billy was back on his BMX getting goofy foot at ROM all over again. So like any good soul does, jumped on Google and searched Billy Stupple and ROM skatepark.

Mid-life crisis, 36 and loving ebay. ebay found my long lost friend. BMX. It feels good to re-unite with a mate I spend every waking hour with. I just bought a pollished PK Ripper with flight cranks, lovely bike. I live in Santa Monica, CA, they've just built a beautiful skate park with some wicked bowls.

Love the pictures and videocam of ROM. I have dreams of that skatepark, I loved spending the day there. I remember a kid called Pikey, he used to rip in the mogules. I think he was one of your mates Billy. You lot would have a contest as to who could outdo the other by doing the knarliest dropins into different bowls. I remember seeing Dave Curry on the edge of the concrete halfpipe trying to drop in, he was holding on to the green lamp post shitting bricks. Who wouldn't! Marco Lara was always talking about jumping the 10 ft fence at the end of the freestyle area and landing in the driving school area. Did he ever do it? Shout out to the Ashstead Rock Steady Crew. Jason Lunn's still ripping, check out www.chilledheat.com.

Cheers,

Damon"
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Ramp Rat

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 12:25 AM »
Hey Carlos, Doing great, I see you're still ripping it up as usual, you nutter  ;)  Where are you living thse days? Still got your back yard half pipe? If you're ever in LA, Ca shoot me an email damonnicholls@yahoo.com we'll hang out.

Take it easy,

Damon

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 12:45 AM »
Them twiglet ramps are the reason that I can`t carve air yet, I`m just not used to having so much room on the ramps  :o

This is what Carlo`s backyard ramp looks like now Damon :

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Ramp Rat

Re: Twiglet Quarterpipes
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 02:31 AM »
Cheers Billy...Kin hell Carlo, that's some backyard ramp, wicked man!!! Looks insane :o Love to see some pics of you catching some big air. Gone are the twiglets, hail the MONSTER! puts Baby Kong to shame  :-[

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 03:29 AM »
naa you can keep the backyard thing. Thats more of a plywood skatepark than a backyard ramp anyhow...I much prefer the baby Kong. Who needs smooth transitions when  (like me) you can only get 1 inch of air.. ;)

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 03:43 AM »
"Yeah the step up cancan was cool, it's the socks that I really loveed about that day! man I miss those socks"

Lets all remind ourselves of those socks... very blue peter,  I must say.. ;)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 04:24 AM by tricknuts »

Ramp Rat

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 05:54 AM »
Tricknuts, cheers mate, just what I wanted to see, my old socks. Lovely job  8)  Don't know what I like better, my Halfords race pants or my stripey socks? Late 80's had some weird trends  :D maybe that's why I left the UK?

Check out the handle bars on the scooter, they're Action Zone bars made by Dave Currey, I used to love those bars. What I would do to get my hands on them again. Anyone heard from Dave?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 01:31 PM »
He contacted me recently by e-mail, he joined the old forum but has not joined this one yet, do you want me to send you his e-mail Damon ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Ramp Rat

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Hey Billy, yeah send him my email address.

Thanks!

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 07:57 PM »
Hey Carlos, Doing great, I see you're still ripping it up as usual, you nutter  ;)  Where are you living thse days? Still got your back yard half pipe? If you're ever in LA, Ca shoot me an email damonnicholls@yahoo.com we'll hang out.

Take it easy,

Damon

Damon i have some pictures here and some videos of you and Tony... Are you taller than me now...  Im still in sunny pagham... I will be in anahiem in January so we will have to defenently hook up... I will never forget those inverts you did...

Carlo

Ramp Rat

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 08:44 PM »
Hey Carlo, email me the pics, I'd love to see them. Is this video in a format that can be emailed? LOve to see that too. Hey, I finally grew I'm 5' 9", How tall are you?

Take care,

Damon

Carlo Griggs

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 08:21 AM »
Hey Carlo, email me the pics, I'd love to see them. Is this video in a format that can be emailed? LOve to see that too. Hey, I finally grew I'm 5' 9", How tall are you?

Take care,

Damon

I will have to dig them out and get them to you... I am going to get a dvd video and tranfer all the stuff over.... Well you are taller than me... 5.6... Is tony like 6.6 or somthing.. I remember he was a tall dude.

Carlo

keyhole kid

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 12:40 PM »
hi damon your fellow ninja team member is on this site do you remember carl westfield he rode out of southsea

Ramp Rat

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Yeah, I remember Carl, he ripped up Southsea, I've seen some pics on the internet of him at Southsea, wicked styleee! He's got a lovely TA too!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Twiglet Quarterpipes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx