gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 02:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid-School help needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mid-School help needed  (Read 1818 times)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Mid-School help needed
« on: July 26, 2007, 09:40 PM »
Guys

I am building my 1st mid-school race bike, the frame & forks are chrome and from 1991.  I wasn't in the BMX scene at this time so need some help from those in the know.

I have a couple of questions..

1) Seat  -  What seat would have been used circa 1991, I thought of an Odyssey Svelte but what others were used.
2) Tyres - What tyres would be correct?
3) Colour - What were the popular part colours used in the race scene in 1991?

Thanks

Sean

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Mid-School help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:45 PM »
welcome to the club  ,oddy seat will do spot on   tioga  comp 3s   black n chrome will look good.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:47 PM »
Dan

Comp III's - skinwall or blackwall

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 09:48 PM »
skin walls mmmmm but you can run black also

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 09:52 PM »
I dont know much about what was going on in racing in 91 but the frame you are building will guide you a little as some companies started doing things differently.

Most race bikes were still chrome (still are I guess?) and, like dan says, you cant go wrong with chrome and black.

Again, like the Dan man said, comp 3s are always right. All black tyres were starting to be used in the early 90s but it was still mostly amber walls. There were also some other nice knobby tyres about, like mongoose ones.

Cant tell you about the seat. I was busy getting the biggest foam seat I could to stop bar spins (on the flat) hurtin my knees!

brettnai

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:02 PM »
Just out of interest what are you building.
I'm in a very similar situation I know nothing at all about mid stuff... and only slightly more bout os stuff  ;D

I saw you picked up the Bully forks (which i have since found too... phew) so maybe we could compare notes.

B
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:07 PM by brettnai »

the_cyclops

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:03 PM »
Have a look at the Odyssey Cobra seat too! or the Z-77

Odyssey pretty much had a lot of the BMX parts market to themselves in the early 90's

Chrome F&F is the way to go and black parts (although there was a fashion of having everything Chrome or Polished around that time!)

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:05 PM »
Im def talking about something I dont really know about, but werent all Titan frames painted? I remember seeing red ones but non chrome (I could well be wrong).

The start gate was always more chrome than anything else, but some frame makers were going their own way.

the_cyclops

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 10:06 PM »

I saw you picked up the Bully forks (which i have since found too... phew) so many we could compare notes.

Careful with those Bully Forks....i've seen the dropouts come clean off 'em

brettnai

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 10:09 PM »
yeah they look a bit of an after thought

the_cyclops

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:17 PM »
Im def talking about something I dont really know about, but werent all Titan frames painted? I remember seeing red ones but non chrome (I could well be wrong).

The start gate was always more chrome than anything else, but some frame makers were going their own way.

A few firms were doing their own thing but most of the majors were sticking to the tried and tested Chrome or Black!

Kastan's were available in some nice colours

Auburns were usually paint upfront and polish out back

PK Rippers were available in a few colours

I think S&M offered the Mad Dog in Black or yellow? as well as Chrome (Im sure Alex will know that one?)

Im looking in an edition of Go magazine now from 1991 and pretty much all the race pics have bikes in Chrome or Black!

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 10:23 PM »
Your right, most race frames were chrome, but what you are building will help out the colour. Chrome might not be right.

S&Ms came in some nice paint colours (I think Yellow & Red were the early options), but they also came in chrome. Chrome was always a great seller through the whole of the 90s.

brettnai

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 10:44 PM »
what about brakes? the frame i have is identicle to this http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/bully/1637
this is all i have to go on really. Its says 1997 but was later agreed it was more like 91/92

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 10:54 PM »
what about brakes? the frame i have is identicle to this http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/bully/1637
this is all i have to go on really. Its says 1997 but was later agreed it was more like 91/92

Brett

I asked a question about brakes recently, here is a link to the thread .......  http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=39150.0

the_cyclops

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 11:12 PM »
An 8mm ACS BOA would have usually been found on one of those!

brettnai

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 07:01 AM »
Great  cheers guys
Custom Riders have 10mm Boas, no mention of 8mm ????
I'll post in wanted.

ta
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 08:53 AM by brettnai »

FIL EBZ

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 10:53 PM »
Although it won`t stop you an odessy Pitbull on the rear wouldn`t look to out of place.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 09:02 AM »
wasn't it also about the time when annoed parts were all the rage?  like purple??  although finding bits in this colour proved to be a nightmare for me!

as for seats i stuck a Uni Hammer head in my Mid school but not too sure if it's era correct?  but i'm not one for caring much about that anyways  :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Although it won`t stop you an odessy Pitbull on the rear wouldn`t look to out of place.

i fooked on for ages with mine on the assassin, it did my fookin head right the fook in, but got it workin shit hot in the end, really impressed with it

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid-School help needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx