gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  13/16 seatpost for ripper.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 13/16 seatpost for ripper.  (Read 1231 times)

oldsky

13/16 seatpost for ripper.
« on: November 05, 2005, 10:38 PM »
can someone help me please?  Just got a seat post for my ripper.  Its obviously a 13/16 post and when I went to put it in it seemed seriosly tight.  Now after reading a few threads on Rad I seem to remember some people talking about seatposts being stuck in the frames and having to drill them out etc.  Should it be this tight.  Dont want to screw the bike up before I've even started the build.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Andy

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: 13/16 seatpost for ripper.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 11:02 PM »
i made a peice oc rod and cut a 3 inch slot and put sand paper in it
then used a drill to clean inside of seat tube
then used oil on seat post
still a tad tight but oil will stop it sticking mate

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 03:32 AM »
Yep , that's the only way to do it

Just make sure the seat tube is perfectly clean and there are no burrs around the slot as we all know how painful that can be  ;D

Also, make sure you use a good quality cro-moly seat post and not one of those alloy £10.00 jobbies from Alans. I nearly fecked my Mini Ripper trying so save a few quid and it just ain't worth it

Good luck

Steve

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 09:58 AM »
haha that the seat post i got from alans
better start looking for a chromo one lol

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 10:10 AM »
i also got one of them from alans cant see it being a problem fits just right in seat tube, im going to use copper slip so post wont get stuck!!!!! i recently drilled out a post from a rickman race frame took three hours :'(
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 12:16 PM »
I fitted one to my Mini Ripper and it fitted very nicely at first. I later changed my mind and decided to put the original seat and post combi back in and you would not believe the hassle I had trying to get that poxy alloy post out. The more I twisted and pulled the worse it seemed to get and after alot of swearing it finally came out  ???

Luckily, it didn't damage my frame but you should have seen the alloy seat post. It must have hooked up on a tiny burr or swarf which left deep gouges in the soft, cr@ppy alloy it was made from. It was totally sh@gged and there was no way I would use it again so I threw it straight in the bin

I learnt a big lesson that day and now I prefer to use a good quality chro-moly post like a 13/16" Pro Neck or something  :)

oldsky

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 02:27 PM »
looks like I wont be using the seat post I just bought from Alans.  There goes another £13 that I cant afford ;D.

Thanks guys - it'll save money and heartache in the long run.

Andy

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  13/16 seatpost for ripper.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx