gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 04:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Race Helmets
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Race Helmets  (Read 1650 times)

Moschops

Race Helmets
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:33 PM »
I see in a previous thred that some one was conned into buying a full face helmet to compete in a race, that is absolute bollox >:(

BC rules clearley state that a helmet must cover the ears, nothing about chins >:(  :rant:

Troy Lee have just launched a new open face helmet for christs sake, which looks the nuts :daumenhoch:

An open face helmet is permitted by the rules, anyone who wishes to were one at MK will be allowed to do so.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Race Helmets
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 10:01 PM »
Although BCF rules do state that, the OSSS attended a regional race where the full face rule was insisted on.
I personally think full face should be worn, I have seen some nasty stacks including quadpaul last week, he had concussion and some serious scratches on his lid, he was saved by the full face, I would never go back to open face after seeing that :-[
A long time ago, in a land far away!

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:14 PM »
When I entered my first race for years at MK in April, I asked people on here what helmet I needed. I was told that I only NEEDED an open face (that covered the ears), but it was strongly RECOMENDED that I use a full face. It was also said that at SOME tracks you have to use a full face.

In the end I got a full face, and was pleased I did. It felt much better than the ones I had tried years ago. You almost didnt see the chin guard at all.

Better to have it, and not need it, ay?

oldskoolsux

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 10:26 PM »
From British cycling 2007 rulebook:

Helmets of either full face or open face constuction are permitted. It is recommended that open face helmets should be equipped with mouth protectors. Helmets must cover the rider's ears and provide protection at the back of the skull. Ventilation holes are permitted and they must not be large enough for any part of the cycle to penetrate the shell. the securing straps must be securely tightened.

So open face are allowed to be used without mouth guards. You cannot use a piss pot/dirt lid.

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 10:30 PM »
I think a full face every time, one can never have enough protection  :)

p.s. I think they look really cool too  :D

Moschops

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:38 PM »
I have ridden in both styles, I like the feeling of freedom that an open face helmet gives you BUT I like the skin on my chin more ;)

I would recomend full face, but just wanted people to know that they do have the choice.

spillers#1

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:58 PM »
I used to wear an open face when i first raced in 83 then went on to wear a bell moto 3 full face after my brother crashed and literally ripped half his face off wearing no face protection :daumenhoch:so bollox to that.

Webdawg

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:10 PM »
I was arm bent into buying a full face, someone didn't want me to ruin me good looks :LolLolLolLol: :-*

TBH i never liked em bitd but my ns 661 is cool, looking back we only wore open as it was cool at the time ( cost me 4 front teeth n a boken nose all in the name of "fashion") :wtf:

Plus Quad Pauls crash, nuff said.

Full face all the way baby :daumenhoch:

MCSMagnum

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:19 PM »
Full face for me, after a nearly £200 dentists bill, just seems like it makes financial sense (coulda got a troy lee for that), unless you're cool with the shane mcgowan look...... what I've learned is that whereas as a kid I nearly always seemed to bail gracefully, 20 years on, either time and hard living have taken a toll on reaction times, or gravity has gotten stronger......

Mike

QuadPaul

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 11:43 PM »
BCF rules should be changed in my opinion. After landing face 1st and knocking myself sparko last Thurs night, it was only the fact I had a full face lid which meant I was able to race Sun & am here typing this message, without that lid I'm sure I'd have still been in hosptal having my face put back together!!!!!!!!

Webdawg

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 12:35 AM »
too right babe, u scared the shit outta me last week when you said how did Vinoah get here, i was like "with u paul"  :wtf:

That lid saved yr face for sure, big up to 661 for saving Pretty Paul

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 12:53 AM »
You was still grinning and asking what day it was, ya fookin loon.
Anyone who still wants to wear an open face lid, come down to Dagenham on a Sunday during the day and watch the suicide kids without face protection, theres always a couple of good ones, last weeks one was lip split in half, more claret than west ham :idiot2:

Webdawg

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 01:04 AM »
too fckin right babe,how many kids have we patched up n packed up?

lost count >:D fookin put a lid on

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 01:05 AM »
I faceplanted badly twice last year and had mild concussion both times. I dread to think what would have happened had I not had a full face lid.

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 10:58 AM »
Fullface for me all the way.

but not for bitchyroo

Webdawg

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 11:04 AM »
ouch

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 01:47 PM »
I maybe wearing this baby at the MK meet, an open face but with the addition of a facemask.......do you reckon this will be ok for protection??

Paul :)
Vans Style

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 01:50 PM »
If your gonna be giving your all perhaps a full face, but if your gonna be taking it easy then it will be ok :daumenhoch: Looks cool btw

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 01:56 PM »
If your gonna be giving your all perhaps a full face, but if your gonna be taking it easy then it will be ok :daumenhoch: Looks cool btw

Takin it easy I reckon, posing in last place.....but lookin good  :coolsmiley::LolLolLolLol:
Vans Style

Flying_fox

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 08:13 PM »
I would go as far as to say if you think your going to start going proper fast and jumping real doubles get a MX lid. I love the open face look, but I love the skin on my chin and my front toofs more.

I've broken too many lids and had concusion enough times, I only wear MX lids now.

BTW moschops I need another lid after Tuesday's little tumble, took a chunk out the back of mine and more big scratches. After the March desaster and then the other night I think it's about time, but I'm waiting for the 08 Troy Lee MX's to come out now. 8 months and another lid bites the dust. :idiot2: ::) :-[

Moschops

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 10:28 PM »
I would go as far as to say if you think your going to start going proper fast and jumping real doubles get a MX lid. I love the open face look, but I love the skin on my chin and my front toofs more.

I've broken too many lids and had concusion enough times, I only wear MX lids now.

BTW moschops I need another lid after Tuesday's little tumble, took a chunk out the back of mine and more big scratches. After the March desaster and then the other night I think it's about time, but I'm waiting for the 08 Troy Lee MX's to come out now. 8 months and another lid bites the dust. :idiot2: ::) :-[

You need a tin hat mate ;)
You should take more care you know, they ain't cheep.

Toys R us have some nice ones in at the mo ;D

jezza

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 11:14 AM »
are these any good for a 1st timer who cant pedal fast  :-[

KGB Matt

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 04:35 PM »
are these any good for a 1st timer who cant pedal fast  :-[

You dont need to pedal fast to do a fair bit of damage m8 .  :uglystupid2:

Prevention is allways better than cure. :daumenhoch:

Matt

golden duck

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 04:50 PM »
i agree i would rather not smash my face up

wear a full face   :buck2: :buck2: :buck2:

it saved mi head when i crashed and broke mi hand

DR VINOAH

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 05:05 PM »
for me as a youth
i went for the harry leary look(this was after i cracked my premier lid)
open face echo
with oakley goggles
and a haro "vader" chin guard
and thankfully
i never landed on me face
but me pal ian did and he still bears the scars 23 odd yrs later
and he was wearing my gear

these its gotta be fullface

after picking quadpaul up off the track the other day

and as said above he had a fully on
and still had a face full of track dirt

paul put a pick up of ya lid
and show the people

as for me
i just gotta new lid
after i cracked me bell "bellistic" in my stack
still stayed with bell but went the for the hoffman moto 7
this time

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Race Helmets

gfxgfx
gfx gfx