gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 05:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Squeeking brake pads
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Squeeking brake pads  (Read 586 times)

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Squeeking brake pads
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:49 PM »
I have recently fitted tuffs with genuine tuff pads and they have just started squeeking under heavy braking, does anyone now if there is a simple mod to stop this??

Cheers ;)

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Squeeking brake pads
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:01 PM »
This generally happens when the brake blocks hit the rim square on. You need to toe them in slightly (the leading edge to hit the rim first)

Hope that makes sense

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:36 PM »
or rub grease round the rim.

;)

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:06 PM »
or rub grease round the rim.

;)

LMAO, I'll try some of that later! ::) ;D

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 06:46 PM »
Try cleaning the rim off carefully first, use meths or brake cleaner but check the brake cleaner to make sure it doesn't affect the wheels. Also check that the center pivot nuts are as tight as you can get them without locking the brake up.
If they still make a noise you will have to toe them slightly as Jimwise suggested. I used to use a big adjustable spanner with tape on it (to protect the brake) and carefully twist the bit the pads bolt onto. Be careful though, if you have Mx 1000's they are getting a bit old now and the alloy might not be as happy to be bent as they would have been when new.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Squeeking brake pads

gfxgfx
gfx gfx