gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 05:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  HELP ..... Integrated seat clamps.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HELP ..... Integrated seat clamps.  (Read 2018 times)

YGT

HELP ..... Integrated seat clamps.
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:15 PM »
Hi guys,
need some help/feedback.

recently got some pro frames in stock after a whole load of problems.
Frames look dope in every way apart from 1 issue .... they have integrated seat clamps and it seems that I cant get the seat clamps tight enough to hold the seat post super strong.

I have tried measuring inside the hole but after staring too long at the frames my sense of logic is getting lost.
1 theory is that the seat clamp is too low (like a HB condor or a Fit chase hawk) and because its so low it doesnt allow the frame to flex enough to clamp enough.

I personally wasnt too keen on the frames when they arrived but after studying them and starting to remember why I designed the frames like I did I am really starting to REALLY like this frame, and its getting to the point where I want to try and find a solution for the frames rather then send them back and also start to try to understand what the exact problem is.

Has anyone here had problems with their integrated seat clamps ?

if so or not any feedback whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: HELP ..... Integrated seat clamps.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:28 PM »
how many frames are like this mark.
if only a few get some custom posts made.just a thought

i got me coat  :bondage:

YGT

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:40 PM »
I am not sure, but i think all frames produced have this issue .... this is why i trying to see if anyone has a condor etc has ever faced this problem.
I guess i am torn between the frame and reality as I really like the frame, but just cant figure out why this wouldnt work when condor and other frames "work?"

darkersomeday

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:38 PM »
hi mark,

is the slot in the tube long enough to allow the clamp to work?

have they used the right spec for the seat tube?

any chance of a pic? i'm intrigued!

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:40 PM »
The integrated seatclamp in my Superstar Parkinson takes a LOT of force to get it tight, so much that I am scared of snapping the bolt when I tighten it
 :) DINGO :)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 09:42 PM »
ye a pic would be good

YGT

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 10:04 PM »
hold on, i will go and knock something up :)

darkersomeday

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 10:14 PM »
make a video!!! :LolLolLolLol:

YGT

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 10:18 PM »
done that already :) LOL

its uploading at the moment and should be online in 5 mins ..... I will offer 2 versions .... 1 in DIVX format and the other in apple quicktime (if its not too large in size.)
thanks .... ps the file will be called seatclamp.divx or seatclamp.mov

thanks

Mark

edit ... mov came out at 63 megs so we will forget that LOL .... i will see if i can try another conversion.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 12:37 AM by YGT »

YGT

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Am uploading a seatclamp.avi as we speak ... just in case divx no comprede for some ... the avi is 18mb big .... only downside.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 07:50 AM »
hmmmm strange that mark i would think the steel is much stiffer than on mid frames.
have you tried a different post ,just to rule that out even a mid chrome post.
you could always make one a  cut down a slot in the front of the post.
and if its crap send it to me   ;)
it is a great great looking frame top job  .dan

YGT

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 08:48 PM »
I figured it out.
it was the bolt that goes in the seat clamp, it needed a washer with a domed side on it.

what was happening was as the bolt was being tightened the frame/clamp was angling so the bolt wanted to bend but didnt ..... so basically the frame was fighting the bolt.

phew ... I am glad that is sorted.

mark

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 08:52 PM »
bravo good sir   :4_17_5:

darkersomeday

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 09:17 PM »
I figured it out.
it was the bolt that goes in the seat clamp, it needed a washer with a domed side on it.

what was happening was as the bolt was being tightened the frame/clamp was angling so the bolt wanted to bend but didnt ..... so basically the frame was fighting the bolt.

phew ... I am glad that is sorted.

mark

i'm pleased for you dude! thats good news!
glad you got it sorted,

i had a chat with a "bike builder" friend today and we were both thinking that the guys who built it had used a tube that was slightly too large, which wouldnt have been good news!
shims! yuck!

the frame looks spot on, i like it alot, the long headtube looks very tech, reminds me a little of the Midnite "moonlite" frame, which has been very well recieved by the bg police! :LolLolLolLol:
whats the longest toptube that you'll do in it? whats the headtube angle?

liking the crazy bars on it too! KGB?

YGT

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 09:21 PM »
thanks guys :)

the TT is arround 20.6 but it doesnt feel super dragster, very responsive :) (I actually ride flat on this)
the HA is 74.5 but I have wtp forks which are shorter so it makes the headangle 75
the bars are one off london bars made for me with 1" griptubes.

Thanks

Mark

darkersomeday

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 09:29 PM »

the TT is arround 20.6 but it doesnt feel super dragster, very responsive :) (I actually ride flat on this)
the HA is 74.5 but I have wtp forks which are shorter so it makes the headangle 75

Thanks

Mark

props to you for riding a flat bike that still looks like a bmx!

20.6 is a good all round tt length, most of the b-codes were around that,

75degree tt is nice, i loved the one on my l.a.f, fast handling and more room around the front end without sacrificing wheelbase length, nimble :LolLolLolLol:

is it a total custom job dude?

london bikes :daumenhoch: i should have spotted it, are they the dagmar or queen vic versions?
i'm still looking for one of there chainwheels :smitten:

glad you got it sorted!

YGT

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 10:12 PM »

Thanks

Mark

props to you for riding a flat bike that still looks like a bmx!

20.6 is a good all round tt length, most of the b-codes were around that,

75degree tt is nice, i loved the one on my l.a.f, fast handling and more room around the front end without sacrificing wheelbase length, nimble :LolLolLolLol:

is it a total custom job dude?

london bikes :daumenhoch: i should have spotted it, are they the dagmar or queen vic versions?
i'm still looking for one of there chainwheels :smitten:

glad you got it sorted!

I always really liked short bikes like the 1988 haro master, standard shorty , gt performer ... but when flat bikes just got uber short I kinda just wasnt feeling the geometry even if the tt got longer.
This frame is the first one I have ridden in 5 - 7 years where I actually feel happy .... i cant really explain it but I am getting rushes like i did as a kid on this bike.

The frame is one of 18 I had made and hope to sell them to anyone interested, but I just need to make sure that I can find some replacement bolts first as I dont want to sell them with a twisty post.
The weight is not the lightest compared to many of the super light frames out there (2.6kg) but its perfectly balanced and not dangerously thin in certain places (beefy headtube, mid bb etc)
I basically wanted to build a "technical blue collared bike frame" ... and this i have achieved.

I design allot of gear for a lot of different people at times, but this is defiantly a product that grows more on me everyday ..... what I am saying is I wasnt expecting this to be anything groundbreaking but I look at it ever so often and realise that it just clicks with me ... i feel like a teen again.

The bars are custom dagmar's (3rd version)

thanks

Mark

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  HELP ..... Integrated seat clamps.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx