gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 08:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  getting your kids racing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: getting your kids racing  (Read 1015 times)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
getting your kids racing
« on: June 12, 2007, 09:27 AM »
after talking to tim last night,and looking at the norwich track ,i was thinking of getting my 15 year old into it.
have any of you lot done this yet,i dont rearly no were to start bike wise or parts but guess i need to get her to the track first
she is right up for it so could be interesting.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 09:32 AM by harris »

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: getting your kids racing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 09:31 AM »
I'm in the process of buiding a Kuwe mini for my 5 year old daughter to race. Just need the cranks and it's done. :daumenhoch:

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 09:59 AM »
I've just bought my 5 year old daughter a Redline micro mini for her birthday , I took her down to a track that has just been built near me before I bought her the bike and now she's got it she never shuts up about going down to the track and racing.  :daumenhoch:

I just need to get her the full faced helmet and all the protective gear because she's gonna fall off    :'(

So in answer to your question I haven't done it yet but I think it is on the cards. 

zed4130

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 10:01 AM »
ive tryed with my 7 year old ,but too be honest bournemouth is a bit big for her  :-\ ill keep trying though  :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 10:09 AM »
I personally think its us old schools responsibility to promote the sport, and get our kids involved, My boy is 18 now and he has promised to have a go this year :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 10:28 AM »
My daughter rides the track at hersden she's 10
she don't go mad but i figure if shes enjoying it then thats fine
The age group she's in there is quite competative

started her off on a old 1983 ammaco with small bars
now she has a AL huffy frame with skinny rims

def need to get her a full face lid now though

heres some vid of her and meddles daughter in the same moto
my daughter is just like her dad at the back of the pack way off the pace  :D

cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 12:18 PM »
My 5 year old retired last October after 10 months of racing. Depressing really as he was fast and could beat older kids. He still likes going round the track just dont like racing. Not stopped me though. Got the youngest out on the track now been to Hersden twice and he loves it; but not going to get my hopes up too much. ::)

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 12:22 PM »
but guess i need to get her to the track first

Tell her it's a real lad magnet, Dan!   :D  That's the god honest truth, I was fighting them off at school.....not so much these days, though.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:18 AM by LucyLastic »

mrs-bmx-796

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 03:43 PM »
mr 796 got my lil 1 a gt mini for racing, he had his very first at hersden at the weekend, and he done great, he got 3 firsts, and came 3rd in the final, very good for his first race ever,

Flying_fox

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 10:32 PM »
Just do it.

I started taking my nephew when he was 4. He's now 6 and into his second year of racing and loves it, he's done a couple of nationals now and his riding is getting better and better all the time. He would rather race his bmx than do anything else and he's made so many new friends from all over. Black, white, rich, poor, nothern, southern etc, the social diversity of people who compete in the sport will give him a much better chance to meet a broad spectrum of kids than most other hobbies/passtimes you can do at his age.

Due to a national drought of spokes in the correct length I've not built up his new bling machine, so he's still on his first race bike now. I don't think he realy cares as long as he can ride.

Here's him at Dunny on sunday. Massive props to Steve@eastkent for the best pictures ever.

Flying_fox

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 10:35 PM »
Forgot to say, my own son is only 4 months old and the missus isn't up for him starting racing just yet. ::)

Don't stop me thinking about my first build for him though. :coolsmiley:

AL

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 10:37 PM »
A full face helmet, body Armour and pads are a must  :'(
My Boys had his fair share of knocks , but probally the worst ones, have been  when he is  practising ..

64 SPLITVAN

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 10:48 PM »
BOTH OF MY BOYS RACE ZAKS 9 LOUIS 5.
MY WIFE AND DAUGHTER COME TO MOST OF THE RACES THERE AINT MUCH THE WHOLE FAMILY CAN GET INVOLVED  THESE DAYS. ;)

GET TO THE TRACK AND HAVE FUN :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  getting your kids racing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx