gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 10:33 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bar Positions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bar Positions  (Read 958 times)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
Bar Positions
« on: June 11, 2007, 10:04 PM »
I've never been one to get in to the really technical side of frame dimensions etc, (I've got a Rally car that keeps me occupied with technical issues, fekking loads of them) I've always worked on the basis that if it feels right then that's good enough for me. BITD I used to have my bars in pretty much a perfect vertical position regardless of the bike (GT Performer, Haro Sport etc) and it always seemed to feel just right. So when I set up my NS ride a few weeks back I did the same but then when I was reading the Epic post there was a bit in there about bar positions and it got me thinking. Why have them set slightly back?

I just thought it was down to personal preference and a NS thing but I'm obviously missing some technical points. I know most of the NS bikes are longer (top tube) than the OS (which I don't like) but why does this make a difference?

Sorry if I sound thick fellas but I'm still learning a lot with the NS stuff, a hell of a lot!

TIA.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 11:30 PM by Flatcap »
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Bar Positions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:25 PM »
I still run my bars perpendicular to the ground as nothing else feels right. I did pull em back a while ago but I just couldn't ride with them like that...

When I asked the question I was told that running the bars back a wee bit helps to bomb the front end down when jumping, especially on dirt.  Also, half barspin stuff feels a little better and full barspins are less likely to hit your knees on the way round.

Personally, I'd got with your first instinct; if it feels right then its good enough   ;)

username

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:59 PM »
Personally, I'd got with your first instinct; if it feels right then its good enough   ;)

and get some earplugs, cos you'll have 4 billion kids asking you why you're bars are forward

thesku11s

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:34 AM »
^^^including me! lol

having the bars foward on anything made after 1997 would (to me at least) feel very very wrong.

really really light.

Having your bars back on your NS, is a lot closer to having your bars foward on your OS bikes.

The angle of the forks was much more away from vertical on older bikes - like the burner for example.

thats why you needed the bars leant foward to counteract the turning leverage of the wheel and forks.

But if it feels good - its obviously right for you anyhow!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 11:38 AM by thesku11s »

username

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 12:52 AM »
perpendicular to the ground

I am not talking forward, I am talking straight up and down - and kids thinking thats "too" forward.

gt0733

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:43 AM »
too far forward to me means your frame is too short. too far back and it's too long. straight up, just right  :daumenhoch:

Voodoocars

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 07:36 AM »
Bars are 'forward' or vertical for vert riding and slightly back in line with the steerer tube for street and dirt. :-\Probably

Coastvl

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 10:30 AM »
What a load of horse poo.
If it feels good, do it.

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 10:38 AM »
If it feels good, do it.

^^^^^^^^^^

fook fashion - wide bars, slammed seat, removed front brake and gyro

if you are riding the bike, set it up how it feels right. usually through trial and error

it may be that you end up with the bars in line with the forks, but at least they will be there for a reason

darkersomeday

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:01 PM »
too far forward to me means your frame is too short. too far back and it's too long. straight up, just right  :daumenhoch:

"chicago bars" forever :smitten:

crazy foool

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 07:38 PM »
im my opinion bars in line with forks(slightly back) on modern bikes gives the best steering, not to quick or to slow , also they seem less likley to slip

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 11:45 PM »
If it feels good, do it.

Thank you for your valued constructive input....the next time I have a technical question or I'm just curious about something I'll be sure to contact you!

:LolLolLolLol:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 12:08 AM »
Plenty of positions around this bar...

:LolLolLolLol:  I'll get my coat  ::)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 12:33 AM »
I understand the geometry side of the argument, but I just can't ride with em in any other position than straight up and down. (perpendicular to the ground).  I have a 21"tt so its not an issue of length,  fnar fnar......

Its much more likely that people starting riding now on newschool stuff simply set their bikes up similar to their mates and then just get on with it. Once they've got a feel for the bike its a little tweak here and there and thats job done.  If they then took a 20 year break from riding and came back, I'd bet a pound to a pinch of shit they'd set their bars up to be very similar to how they had them way back when.

On the subject of stability, there's probably an argument for having the bars set so the grips are directly above the axle. Having them forward of the axle may add to the shopping trolley effect, having them back may add a twitch or two.

I dunno.  It's late..................

gt0733

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14 AM »
"I'd bet a pound to a pinch of shit"   :2funny: :2funny:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 01:23 AM »
Ayethankyou    :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bar Positions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx