gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 12:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  bike shops shutting down!!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bike shops shutting down!!!!!  (Read 1500 times)

primoman

bike shops shutting down!!!!!
« on: June 07, 2007, 08:15 AM »
hi i just walked passed my local bike shop and it is shut down!!!it was near blendon/blackfen, and had all old school parts!!!and worse of all they had 75% OFF EVERYTHING!!!!!! i am kicking myself in my b*llocks, and has this happened to any one else???? :'(

spillers#1

Re: bike shops shutting down!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 08:17 AM »
THATS DOWN THE ROAD FROM MYSELF AND SE MARK....DIDN'T REALISE THERE WAS A SHOP THERE,WHERE ABOUTS EXCATLY?

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 08:40 AM »
lol blackfen cycles

indeed just around the corner from me in wellingLOL
they would never sell me any old school stuff ,but maybe if they were closing they would have lol

Rich

zed4130

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 08:52 AM »
the local shope are dropping like flys, ive lost 3 good shops recently ,and they were old shops and had lots of older parts,  :-\  all ive got now are these new bike shops ,that sell £1000 mtb etc , and all new parts , disk brakes etc , there is a new shop opened near me, it mainly does repairs, but my bro took his urban street bike in recently ,it needed new spokes and a overhaul ,but i didnt have time to do it ,so he took it in on a thursday ,picked it up on sat , got a punture on the monday, he bought it around for me to do ,as he cant change a light bulb ,let alone change a inner tube  :2funny: and the back nuts were loose  :uglystupid2: so basicaly if you wont to die , take your bike to your local bicycle repair shop  :tickedoff: or even worse halfords   :2funny:

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 11:02 AM »
blimey i know blackfen cycles

wonder why wouldn't they sell the OS stuff ?

weird - a shop that won't sell stuff
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

spinmaster

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 11:23 AM »

weird - a shop that won't sell stuff

probably explains why they're now closed. lol

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 11:44 AM »
I guess it's down to the Big internet shops doing such a good service?  for the enthusiast they know they can order stuff from the likes of Chainreaction for a lot less than the local shop (who 9 times out of ten will need to order the part for you in the first place) and it's on the doorstep the next day! 

I have a couple of local shops near me, one is a Treck dealer who sells every type of bike you'll ever need.......but it's fooking expensive and the people in there only know modern stuff.  I went in there with my street beat and was after getting a set of OS wheels laced up.....they looked at me as if i was from another country!

The other shop mainly sells cheap disposable bikes that look flash to kids but will be crushed in the recycling bin by the following christmas.

As for Halfords??  NEVER EVER take a bike there to be fixed!!!!!   goes without saying!

primoman

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 03:51 PM »
hi do u know he sold alll the os stuff when he shut down!!!!takeing a liberty!but i know where he lives and i am mates with his son!so i could ask him if i can buy anything of him???also that was the only shop with decent 2nd hand bmx's!!i bought a black gt performer of him for 30 pounds and gave it a coat of matt black and sold it to this mate for 80 pounds!!!!it was a goldmine!

BentAxle

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:18 PM »
i know the blackfen cycles , didnt realise he had old school gear in there , i used to ride past it every day on my way to work , shame to see the small shops going , still a few about.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 08:39 PM »
there was a shop called rotrax in southampton that closed a couple of years ago,they mainly did road/race bikes but i managed to get a set of suzue sealed hubs,a bullseye hub for £25 :) and a few brake parts,it had wooden floor boards in the shop with old fashioned display case with drawers full of all sorts,the only problem was the old guy who owned the shop was as helpful as a hole in the head >:(
British race frames and race clothing wanted

BentAxle

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 09:36 AM »
youngs down lee high road was good years ago , i know its not there now but they was good .

Offline bmxgirl

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 01:11 PM »
Used to be 2 bike shops in my town both closed down now. One was really good had loads of restored Grifters on display, think it was called m-a-d bikes , it relocated .....somewhere .

Trev

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 01:21 PM »
youngs down lee high road was good years ago , i know its not there now but they was good .

lots of freebies from there.... was almost like being sponsored...  ::)

primoman

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 06:26 PM »
well i have to say many of these bike shops are shutting down because they over price and you can get them cheaper on the internet. but then again sometimes you need stuff urgently like a chain for my case and the next local bike shop, (action bikes) the cheapest chain they had was 10 pounds !!! bloody rip off, so i can see why they shut down. by the way there is still one good shop out ther though, it is harrys and perrys down woolwhich ??? they are friendly and gave me 4 free kenda inner tubes because i spent over 10 pounds!!!so lmk if you have been there.cheers gazza :D

j...

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 09:46 PM »
haha i worked there untill it shutdown.
it eventually closed down in september after being open for something like 30 years.
after changing owners a year previously, it did its best to stay open, but with a halfords opening at the other end of the road and stuff it just wasnt bringing in enough money.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 10:26 PM »
There wasn`t any old school stuff in it either, primoman is just talking b/s  :idiot2:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

highrisedrifter

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 12:03 AM »
There wasn`t any old school stuff in it either, primoman is just talking b/s  :idiot2:

I think we all can make an educated guess on who this guy really is.

Or some people may actually know for definite, I suppose.

HRD

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  bike shops shutting down!!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx