gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 03:48 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Adult Race Bike suggestions required.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Adult Race Bike suggestions required.  (Read 1070 times)

Firebladeseven

Adult Race Bike suggestions required.
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:50 PM »
Well my 7 year old is all set to start racing at Braintree in the next couple of weeks and he's all sorted.

However I'm thinking of investing in a new bike for myself so we can practice together, and my oldschool 85 Quad freestyler is not really ideal round the track.

Question is at 5-11 (and 36years old  :'()what should I be looking at? The Redline Flight XXL looks about right but at £400 is a bit more than I want to pay.

You guys got any other suggestions?

Steve
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:54 PM by Firebladeseven »

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
Re: Adult Race Bike suggestions required.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:58 PM »
Have a look at the previous thread - GT could be up for grabs !  :daumenhoch:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:02 PM »
See what Mark Seaman of GROOVE RACING has when you're over at Braintree.  A Cruiser might be best but why not speak to a few riders there and I'm sure they'll let you try their rides round the track; they're a friendly lot at Braintree BMX Club.  Lots of rides to choose from and there's something to suit all.  Tell Mark that Humps suggested you chat with him.  Humps

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:35 PM »
the newer xl rippers are a good size!

darkersomeday

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 03:28 PM »
Well my 7 year old is all set to start racing at Braintree in the next couple of weeks and he's all sorted.

However I'm thinking of investing in a new bike for myself so we can practice together, and my oldschool 85 Quad freestyler is not really ideal round the track.

Question is at 5-11 (and 36years old  :'()what should I be looking at? The Redline Flight XXL looks about right but at £400 is a bit more than I want to pay.

You guys got any other suggestions?

Steve

buy something second hand or a cheap complete to start with, steel is better than aluminium,

look for something with AT LEAST a "21 toptube!

i'll have a look at anything you find if you like, pm me,

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 03:53 PM »
There is 0.5 of an inch difference in the toptube on the Redline Proline Pro and the Pro XL.... 20.5 and 21 inch. The rest of the frame is exactly the same size.
  You can buy a complete brand new 2006 Redline Proline Pro for about £230 from Winstanleys..... bang a 55-60mm XXL reach stem on it and bobs your uncle :)

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 03:54 PM »
so if the rest of the frame has the same dimensions then it would ride exactly the same?

put a layback on it

Moschops

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 07:21 PM »
I'm 5'11" and a xl 20.5" is pleanty big enough.

Redline would be ideal  http://www.grooveracingshop.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=603

Buy it from Groove and support A man who puts an awful lot back into the sport, and he will always be on hand to help you out with it. Local to you as well.

Firebladeseven

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:29 PM »
All sounds fair and I take the point r.e Groove

I notice there are these 2004 Rippers on the Bay

What is the feeling on how they stack up? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SE-Racing-PK-Ripper-Complete-BMX-Bikes-Black-NEW_W0QQitemZ120111985331QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33503QQcmdZViewItem

Steve

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 08:57 PM »
weak  ;D  in my opinion  ;D

Spend the extra £20 and buy that 06 Proline Pro... The Redlines are very good....you will be hard pushed to find a more capable bike for the money.

Moschops

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 10:20 PM »
All sounds fair and I take the point r.e Groove

I notice there are these 2004 Rippers on the Bay

What is the feeling on how they stack up? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SE-Racing-PK-Ripper-Complete-BMX-Bikes-Black-NEW_W0QQitemZ120111985331QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33503QQcmdZViewItem

Steve

Have heard of bad welding on these SE's I know of one that snapped, having said that there are other top brands that have had that trouble.

Redline is one of the top factory brands at the moment, one of my sons has an 06 and its very good, top quality components on it as well.

QuadPaul

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 11:45 AM »
I would also suggest looking at the Haro SX Pro or Pro XL, they are  great value for money, reasonable parts & price.

I raced 1 for 2 years and never even had to tighten a bolt on it.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 01:06 PM »
I would also suggest looking at the Haro SX Pro or Pro XL, they are  great value for money, reasonable parts & price.

I raced 1 for 2 years and never even had to tighten a bolt on it.

Haro or the Redline = Good starter bike  ;)

hooga1975

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Alright Steve, once you get yourself a bike sorted give me a shout.  There are a few of us that ride over Braintree, and it is always good to meet new faces :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Adult Race Bike suggestions required.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx