gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX1000's PLEASE HELP
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MX1000's PLEASE HELP  (Read 942 times)

munners

MX1000's PLEASE HELP
« on: June 05, 2007, 03:06 PM »
I got a set of Mx1000's that i want to take the annodizing off so i can bring them back to the metal. I was intending to polish them up and then lacquer them.

The problem i got is the rivet for the quick release. Anyone ever taken these off?? Also would it be ok to use (Mothers Pride oven cleaner) on the chrome rivets? Would it ruin them?

Please help..

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: MX1000's PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:17 PM »

dont tell me your stripping them blue ones you just brought

munners

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 03:20 PM »
Na, got some others that i need to strip. He only posted them for sale today. Gonna pay for them tonight.  Ive looked for ages for blues mate. I reckon blues the new black when it comes to DC MX's! :)

Have you ever done it Pete?

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 03:49 PM »
What colour are you stripping? You might be better off trying for a swap first as there may be others that need the anno colour and have silver spare. (i did it once with a NOS blue redneck shafted stem...never again...S&M Alex had been looking for one for ages and I just killed it).

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 04:30 PM »
What colour are you stripping? You might be better off trying for a swap first as there may be others that need the anno colour and have silver spare. (i did it once with a NOS blue redneck shafted stem...never again...S&M Alex had been looking for one for ages and I just killed it).

Yeah, but with CustomParts you can get it re-done  :LolLolLolLol:

Like Dave said, try for a swap first as you never know your luck  :daumenhoch:

If not stripping it would not affect any other parts so long as you remove anything that is bolted on (micro adjuster) and not riveted (QR Mech - pain to re-rivet), Oven Pride should not affect the other metals just be careful and don't leave it in there too long, I've found rubbing the parts a bit while they are in the bag agitates it and helps get the colour out  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 04:36 PM »
the rivet drills out easy enough, just dont take it to dan dares house coz he'll give you a hand winding drill and you'l be stood like a fookin loop for a good hour bored to fook, arm achein like fook just waitin for death. speaking from experience of course :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pkradman

• Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 09:18 PM »
I got a set of Mx1000's that i want to take the annodizing off so i can bring them back to the metal. I was intending to polish them up and then lacquer them.

The problem i got is the rivet for the quick release. Anyone ever taken these off?? Also would it be ok to use (Mothers Pride oven cleaner) on the chrome rivets? Would it ruin them?

Please help..
why do u need to remove the rivet ?? caustic soda removes anno then just polish them up , or ami missing somthing ???

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 09:23 PM »
ive got some blue pre bent levers coming from biagio - ive planned to nitro mors (spelling?) the fookers back and polishe them up - would that work ?  - i want a chrome / high polished finish  :-\

downhill3375

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 09:30 PM »
should do danny  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 09:37 PM »
ive got some blue pre bent levers coming from biagio - ive planned to nitro mors (spelling?) the fookers back and polishe them up - would that work ?  - i want a chrome / high polished finish  :-\

You could be while with nitromors though, Oven Pride might be better  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 10:03 PM »
thanks fellas

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 01:28 AM »
danny just use the oven pride mate.
nitromors aint no good on anno i've found.
just get a little plastic bag tip a bit in then keep moving the lever about in it.
you'l see when its all off then undr the tap to get the stuff off.
same with the mx brakes.
i've done a few.
wont hurt the quick release.
dont use that fookin caustic stuff though.
the oven prides much safer.
dave the bmxing gypo

dan-dare

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 12:06 PM »
the rivet drills out easy enough, just dont take it to dan dares house coz he'll give you a hand winding drill and you'l be stood like a fookin loop for a good hour bored to fook, arm achein like fook just waitin for death. speaking from experience of course :LolLolLolLol:

You havn't been round for a while Daz!!?? :LolLolLolLol:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 12:17 PM »

You havn't been round for a while Daz!!?? :LolLolLolLol:

thats coz ive discovered electricity ;D

munners

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 08:55 PM »
I used oven pride and they look and absolute treat. I stripped them, apart from the Quick release which i left on. Couldnt be arsed to drill through rivet. Like Lee (pkradman) said, they go black but you just polish them back to normal. Even the red dia compe sticker stayed on and didnt fade at all. Well happy with them. I will show you all once its built :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  MX1000's PLEASE HELP

gfxgfx
gfx gfx