gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 10:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BMX Racer Injured in Iraq
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX Racer Injured in Iraq  (Read 4784 times)

Webdawg

BMX Racer Injured in Iraq
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:09 AM »
Shane Vincent, former Revtec and Clayborn Factory rider, A Pro, who was racing as recently as 2005, was badly injured in Iraq on May 24, when his Humvee tripped an Improvised Explosive Device.

He is in the Army and was trained in reconnaissance.

He is in the Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C., recovering.

We hope to be able to offer you info as to how to encourage our BMX brother during his tough battle to recover from his injuries.

BMX Mania

The prognosis isn't good...

Word is as follows............

Broken Neck
Broken back
Broken pelvis
Broken Leg
and Broken Eye Socket.

Others in his vehicle didn't make it apparently....

The hospital address for cards is;

WRAMC
Ward 45A
attn: Shane Vincent
6900 Georgia Ave.
Washington, D.C. 20307
USA

I'm sure if this guy got a stack of cards from the UK, from riders he didn't know, it would give his spirits a massive lift. It would cost you a couple of quid but make a massive difference to him. What you think people?

BMX TALK

Would be good if us "old gits" could send him some cards etc, bits of news, piccies etc to cheer him up :daumenhoch:

db-oldskool

Re: BMX Racer Injured in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 06:16 AM »
Wow,that is very sad. :'(
My prayers go out to his buddies families.  :angel:

Not only should we send him some get well cards but how about..............we do an 80's build with donated parts from all of us collectors,it won't have to be anything like a looptail quad or anything just something 80's that will look cool (Mix-matched parts don't matter).
After we can get some info about his home addy the finished build could be sent to him,is he a brit or yank or ....??
If he's in the US I will build it with the donated parts & send it off to him,if he's near you guys it may be easier to get it done there but I'm up for a parts donation. :daumenhoch:

Any thoughts guys?

Webdawg

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:29 AM »
Sounds like a good idea dude, anyone else up for this? :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:40 AM »
i think i'll post him a bmx mag

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:12 AM »
I will get a big card and get it signed at Hersden, should have 40 names and wishes on it,  :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

NMKY

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 09:32 AM »
Wow,that is very sad. :'(
My prayers go out to his buddies families.  :angel:

Not only should we send him some get well cards but how about..............we do an 80's build with donated parts from all of us collectors,it won't have to be anything like a looptail quad or anything just something 80's that will look cool (Mix-matched parts don't matter).
After we can get some info about his home addy the finished build could be sent to him,is he a brit or yank or ....??
If he's in the US I will build it with the donated parts & send it off to him,if he's near you guys it may be easier to get it done there but I'm up for a parts donation. :daumenhoch:

Any thoughts guys?

I have no parts to donate but I'll drop some ££ towards the postage if others will too....

se

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Parts from me if you like:

Win bars
Black Kashy aero

db-oldskool

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 05:36 AM »
OK guys,this might work but we need everything.
I guess it may help to know where he lives first off,it'd make it easier to figure out where to send the stuff.

If worse comes to worse I have an 83 Viper f/f set,the chrome is ok but not show worthy.
Ya know what..........screw that,I'll donate this if all you guys wanna help come up with the rest.
I had a buyer for it who was gonna give me $500,I'll tell him it's not for sale anymore cuz it's going to a worthy cause. :daumenhoch:

Click on me.

I guess red or blue stuff would look best,or a combo of both.
I'll build it for him,send it off to him,ask him to have a pic taken with it & we'll get it posted up here somewhere.
It kinda sounds like he may be a Yank,or he probably would have been sent somewhere other than the US.

Anybody down with this?
I'll try to contact him & get his info,I need you guys to look around your stash for red/blue stuff that would look good on it. :daumenhoch:
If the site owner/s could help by pasting an announcement of this cause somewhere on the site,it'd be greatly appreciated. :4_17_5:

If we come up with enough bits to build it complete I'll post my addy,just send your stuff there & I'll show it off when completed,then I can ship it off to wherever he is living with tracking # & Ins & Delivery confirm.

Parts list as of today:

I'll start off with what I'm donating.
82 Robbie f/f
NOS Red/Silver Izumi chain

Let's give somethin back to those who give for us. :daumenhoch:
I'll update the list as it grows,if you wish to remain anonymous just PM or email me with what you wanna donate.  :angel:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 05:50 AM by db-oldskool »

Webdawg

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 08:31 AM »
I'll sort out the shipping through work, should get it free so no worries there :)

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 09:34 AM »
I haven't got any great showy parts but I've got a GT layback seat post in fair cond and some unbranded silver pedals, I'll gladly send you.

ronnie360

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 09:46 AM »
i have no parts to donate but db-olsschool hats off to you for the frame you have put in

:4_17_5:  :4_17_5:  :4_17_5:  :4_17_5:

NMKY

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 10:56 AM »
Come on people, donate!! :4_17_5:

Webdawg

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 11:09 AM »
i'll have a word with the boys at Daggerz today, lookin through me own bits tonight :4_17_5:

NMKY

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 06:29 PM »
If anyone is at Coppull 2moro I will have a card to sign that I will forward on to Shane, just come and see me...

nostalgicbmx.com

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Hey db-os, you're an awesome guy!

I would like to donate a set of Powerlite powerbend bars.

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 07:32 PM »
I can't think of the best way to word this:  I was thinking about this idea today and don't want to piss on anybody's firework but I was just thinking that if we send him a bike and it turns out that his injuries are so bad he won't be able to ride again, I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do.

Just in case the fella's recovery isn't 100%, I thought he may appreciate more the cards and possibly a couple of Rad T-shirts for example.  As Nikki said in her original email, him knowing a load of us are thinking of him and wishing him well could be very positive for him.

What do people think?

NMKY

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 08:38 PM »
I can't think of the best way to word this:  I was thinking about this idea today and don't want to piss on anybody's firework but I was just thinking that if we send him a bike and it turns out that his injuries are so bad he won't be able to ride again, I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do.

Its a chance you take, the guy gave up BMX to serve his country. I'm sure to come home and find out that his friends from the past are thinking of him plus a lot of people who don't know him should (in theory) give his morale a boost. To combine BMX with the red, white and blue of the country he serves is  (to my mind) a decent way to let him know he is thought of. Chances are he wouldn't ride an OS bike anyway.

We don't know the full extent of Shane's injuries, or his state of mind. We just have to do what we feel is right and hope it has the desired effect. I think we are doing the right thing......

db-oldskool

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 06:24 AM »
You raise a good point,I'm trying to get in touch with him & hopefully find out what the deal may be.
I may have to give him a hint on the plans of the bike but other than that,it'll be a big surprise as to exactly what he's gonna end up with.  :-X

If it turns out he's gonna be OK & not prevented use of the bike,it'll be an awesome inspiration to help get him thru the phys therapy,he won't have to compete with it or anything so even just a casual ride around the block will serve the purpose just fine. :daumenhoch:

I appreciate your thoughts on this,I didn't even consider it myself,must be my stubborn yank mindset. :-[

If it turns out for the worst,that he won't be able to ride again,I may be able to come up with an alternate plan. :-\
I may be going to Rockford in a few weeks,it's the largest annual old school gathering in the US.There are thousands of people attending & Bob Haro is the key note speaker this year,maybe I can pull off something on video for him that involves the old pros in attendance & the general collectors who will be there. ;)

db-oldskool

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 06:31 AM »
Hey db-os, you're an awesome guy!

I would like to donate a set of Powerlite powerbend bars.

You ROCK George!!  :4_17_5:

As soon as I get the particulars of his condition,I'll let the world know & hopefully get all the stuff rounded up so it can be built. :daumenhoch:

Keep rummaging thru your stuff boys & girls,let's make this happen if at all possible. ;)

db-oldskool

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 06:38 AM »
I've just found another site which mentions Shane,there seem to be a few people who know him personally.I'm gonna try them as well & give them a link to this thread,maybe they can help with some info. :daumenhoch:

Here's a couple of pics.

NMKY

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 06:56 PM »
I had a card signed by a bunch of people at Coppull today, will post it asap...

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 04:11 PM »
I'm going to send a card too.  As any one got any good jokes I can print out and send in the card?  Feel free to PM me.  I'll post the card, say, on the 10th June.

Webdawg

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 04:26 PM »
Think the rat has one for all to sign at Hersden :daumenhoch:

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 05:12 PM »
Think the rat has one for all to sign at Hersden :daumenhoch:

Brilliant, thanks for letting me know, Nikki  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 10:07 PM »
Perhaps the lads going to Epic can do a card too - maybe a whip round or something - I will have a word with Pickle  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BMX Racer Injured in Iraq

gfxgfx
gfx gfx