gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 10:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Street Racing - Hednesford
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Street Racing - Hednesford  (Read 2411 times)

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
Street Racing - Hednesford
« on: October 26, 2005, 11:04 PM »
OK,

Did anyone else on here attend the road bmx race that was held in Hednesford on Sunday 14th July (possibly 1985).   I went, and it was just strange!  They had laid out a circuit round the town centre, stuck up some wooden jumps, one of which I think they ended up taking down because it wasn't really safe.  They even had a water jump near the end!  Though us girlies had to go round it >:(
Am kinda remembering it was raining and thats why the wooden jumps were unsafe cos they were slippy...think I came off at one point....it's all a bit of a blur.
Anyone remember??

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
Re: Street Racing - Hednesford
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Nobody remember this then??  :o

I know I'm not confused on this one as I was looking at the programme from it last night. lol.

Nicko

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 07:48 PM »
I remember that very well, it was the weekend my grandad died. I raced in the 2 age groups above my race age, 10's and 11's and won both.

Is my name on the program, it would be great to get a copy if poss?

Nick Baines

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 07:58 PM »
I knew there had to be someone else!  If I didn't have the programme as proof I would think I might have dreamt it.
Unfortunately there's no names in the prorgamme as they were on sale as you arrived and just gave you details about where to get your bike scrutinised (the rear of west midlands estates - lol) and told you about the other stuff goin on that day like classic car competition in the park.

It was a strange set up!  Well done on your win!  Shame it was shadowed by your grandads death.

Nicko

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 08:10 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, my gran has the 2 trophies on her fireplace.

I remeber the trophies had random sponsors names on them, probably left overs from previous meetings.

I raced for chelmsley eagles and then norton canes, do you remember a british champs event at Olympia London indoor around 1985???? I was part of the norton canes team.

if only i could get the photo on here

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 09:14 PM »
the only time i ever rode on a wooden track was the indoor one at Earls Court at Bike 82 :o
the jumps all seemed to have very sharp edges to them, not like dirt at all & the bermed corners were very slippery! & they had like a post & rail catch fence at the top that stopped us going through but still let everyone see what we were doing!
such a long time ago now & i've never seen any pics from the event :(

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 09:19 PM »
i used to race at hilton park near wolverhampton. that was all wooden jumps.the surface was wood shaving as well as i think it was used for horses after the meeting. i know jono raced there aswell. anybody else been there. ?.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 11:22 PM »
the only time i ever rode on a wooden track was the indoor one at Earls Court at Bike 82 :o
the jumps all seemed to have very sharp edges to them, not like dirt at all & the bermed corners were very slippery! & they had like a post & rail catch fence at the top that stopped us going through but still let everyone see what we were doing!
such a long time ago now & i've never seen any pics from the event :(

How about this one :

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 11:25 PM »
looks ever such a long time ago :-[

i must be getting old too as i can't even remember seeing any sidehack outfits there :-\

KELLOGGS

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 09:43 AM »
Hilton park - attended many races there. Little horse arena, smelled like horse sh@te, always freezing, start,speed jump, turn, doubles, turn,steep table top,turn,small last jump. Wood chip type surface, parent friendly bar. Indoor winter racing,loved it.
Also raced over wooden jumps at Bingley hall on tarmac(shopper tyres naturally), on grass at the NEC and in a bus car park in Coventry.

theRuler

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 10:55 AM »
i raced once at norton canes near cannock
my bro raced there a lot

birdieman

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 06:10 PM »
Yep did a few races at hilton park, the track was just as described but i remember them putting in a water jump the once just out of the last turn!!
I also remember racing over the wooden jumps at a school in Wolverhampton. The track was on grass with a good start hill and it rained all day. Just imagine those wooden jumps and racin on grass in the rain!! :D :D

20yrsago

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 08:49 PM »
yea i remember hilton park it being a metal trof for the water jump 2 inches deep,bingley hall thats a old one so slippy,coventry indoors and 1st floor they were all brilliant winter racing at its best,well dryest

oldmankev

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 03:10 PM »
I remember Bingley Hall Chris, i did a two day race there once
and the week after they had a caravan show there and it burned
down, was very slippy though.

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 09:35 PM »
Olympia 1984.  Couple of pics of the racing from BMX Bi Weekly.

Flying_fox

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 08:12 PM »
I rememer going to Bingley Hall as well, it was bloody cold seem to remember.

The other place I rode where there were wooden jumps was the Agora Centre in Wolverton (Milton  Keynes). Hair spray on your comp3's!

jon016847

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Hilton park, now there is a blast from the past,

Yep I raced there a couple of times, that woodchip surface was not the best, but it was good fun, now you mention it, it was rather cold, I must have attended some winter meetings

kamodo

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Is that Chris Young on the sidehack wearing the pro-tec open face ??

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 10:47 PM »

Yep, and its me on the pedals  ;)
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

theRuler

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2005, 04:16 PM »

chris did race too didnt he

"you're more likely to see chris on a ramp with his chin strap flappin than winning races with the crowd's paws clappin"

kamodo

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 06:16 PM »
Nice one bill..last time i saw chris he was riding a speedway bike on the isle of sheppy, he was riding round the oval, not quick but he had jeans and vans on !!

Sorry i never got back to you about the boxing tickets, a bit of confusion there, but Wayne has a shot at Collin Kenna again in December(in Portsmouth or Southhampton)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Street Racing - Hednesford

gfxgfx
gfx gfx