gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 03:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Roll Backs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Roll Backs  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
Roll Backs
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:16 PM »
I've been to that skatepark at Penistone tonight for a wobble and I'm getting there, still feel reasonably comfortable on the pipes etc. and pushing myself a little more now. Starting to just get out the top but it's difficult as there's no vert so you have to remember to pull out big style or you hook up, not good.

However, I can't do roll backs for toffee, it's just gone. This was one of the very first things I learnt as a kid and I could roll back for miles. I could still grasp it when I had my small 90's comeback too but now it's a mare. I tried for ages to do it tonight and I was fekkin useless.

How rhubarb is that!  :tickedoff:

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Roll Backs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:21 PM »
Try sitting down as the lower the centre of gravity the better, then once you get the hang of that progress to standing up  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:25 PM »
progress to standing up?
Na, just stick with sitting down!

OR

Get a freecoaster/coaster and go backwards at 100 miles an hour without being able to slow down at all unless you pull the back brake and flip onto your back!

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:28 PM »
Or use a front brake as well  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

greentoad

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:38 PM »
Hi

I picked it up pretty easy again but only by doing endo's on a ramp. I think I got balance this way from the movement of my body forwards then backwards, and found I could roll back and then 180 out nearly straight away. I tried a few times first by just going up a ramp and rolling back, but I'd just weeve and put my foot down after a few metres.

Once the balance was back that was it, easy.

J.

Trev

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:40 PM »
Get Andy Ruffell to teach you.  He managed to teach Gaz Top how to do it....

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:50 PM »
Get a freecoaster/coaster and go backwards at 100 miles an hour without being able to slow down at all unless you pull the back brake and flip onto your back!

LMFAO Nice one!

Is that before or after Dave Slade nearly killed him on the balcony at Sobell - LOL!

I just felt a right pleb, not being able to roll back, how naff!

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 11:00 PM »
I just about managed to do a couple after trying for about half an hour off a quarter pipe, but I have a coaster on my bike which is probably a bit easier. To start with I wasn't allowing enough free play on the pedals and ended up having to pedal backwards. When I had that sorted it wasn't as bad as you can coast up the ramp and stay in the same position to go back again.
I fell off the first time I tried to do a spin from a roll back, funny how you seem to manage to save the bike and not worry about yourself or is that just me.  :)

My real problem is balance (or lack of it) as I've only ridden mountain bikes for years. The only way I will improve is to just get back on the bike and get riding. At least you can get some air off the quarter pipe. I had a go on a half pipe and just got tired and dizzy.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 11:19 PM »
Yeah, I noticed the dizzy bit which was something else i don't remember!

I was going up one pipe and doing a little set up air on the spine and then back to the pipe and it's a bit tight, not much space and I was getting dizzy very quickly. That's never been a problem before, must be an age thing - lol!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 01:06 AM »
The dizzy thing will pass after a while.  Your air runs will go back to being parallel lines with airs either end instead of round and round stylee like they probably are now   ;)

As for rollbacks, just remind yourself of the basics; if you fall to the left, turn to the left - same as riding forwards. It works honest!  My own personal little nugget is to be sure to release your grip on the bars a bit, even try rolling back with just your palms resting ont' bars. The old death grip seems to upset rollbacks for some reason...  :daumenhoch:

ronnie360

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 06:19 PM »
it is only an observation but asda have lots of roll backs they might be able to help  :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 06:56 PM »
here's how to rollback

1) sit down - go high up the quarter, then start to go back . . .
2) concentrate on going in a straight line. keep your arms straight - if you start turning left or right, the tail will wag the dog and you will lose it
3) dont "pedal" backwards - let the pedals push your feet backwards

thats about it

to get the balance feeling right, try it no footed.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 07:18 PM »
it is only an observation but asda have lots of roll backs they might be able to help  :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol:

daze

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 07:25 PM »
stood up rollbacks.

ride up the quarter and just as your front wheel hits the coping
pull up[hop] so the f and r wheels leave the ramp a little, you want to
be going backwards when you land, for some reason this sorts
out your balance for rolling back.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 08:13 PM »

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: Gaz Top....what a fooking twonk he was!!!   :2funny:

Trev

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 12:13 AM »

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: Gaz Top....what a fooking twonk he was!!!   :2funny:

Maybe so, but I do believe he had a general interest in the sport after being given the BMX Beat gig.  He was more interested in it than Alistair Pirrie was.  He even learnt the names of the tricks quicker than Andy Ruffell....

highrisedrifter

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 12:57 PM »

Yeah but he is attached to Violet Berlin and she's cute. Git!

HRD

theRuler

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 12:59 PM »
i'll hold a rollback teaching session at the next park meet i am at

when you get the hang of it, it's almost as easy as going forwards. keep yer arms straight!!!

highrisedrifter

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 01:09 PM »
i'll hold a rollback teaching session at the next park meet i am at

when you get the hang of it, it's almost as easy as going forwards. keep yer arms straight!!!

To be honest, i've been looking at the two stickied threads in Freestyle and trying to remember how I did tricks BITD nd i'm having awful problems. I've just got myself some pads and a lid so I hope to get along to one of these 'wobbler' sessions at some point where there aren't any kids.

I don't mind if my peers laugh at me for being crap on a BMX  :LolLolLolLol:

I think getting an actual 'masterclass' at a park session would be a cracking idea.

HRD

theRuler

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 01:13 PM »
bones in stockport was a great place for embarassment free learning sessions
i know it's a "shitty park" and all, but there was always a great vibe

tbh some of the best sessions i have had have been in a carpark with curbs to jump and maybe a few concrete banks and ledges

get yourself to the next lock in, wherever it may be!!

highrisedrifter

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 01:22 PM »
get yourself to the next lock in, wherever it may be!!

I'm hoping to be able to ride more now that the doctor has agreed i'm fit enough after my surgery earlier in the year. So maybe the next lockin session, depending on where in the country it is.

Providing work don't screw around with my shift patterns that is. They love doing that.

HRD

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 01:58 PM »
I love doin roll backs :smitten: 

If you have seen me ride, peeps will tell ya I can't really do owt. However I thought rollbacks was the simplest thing to learn so if I can do it fellas. Practice and balance, I find a layback post helps but that's just my preference.

Keep rollin rollin rollin :D

Paul :)

Vans Style

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 06:27 PM »
I find a layback post helps but that's just my preference

I thought about the layback thing as well because I always had one and when I started riding again in the 90's I had one then too. This is the first time I've really been riding with a straight post and in nearly new school position. I can't have right down like some of you do but I have it fairly low. I'm sure I'll get the knack of it soon but I just can't believe I can still do a no hander, albeit only about 2 foot out, foot plants, can cans, 270 drop ins and I can't do a frigging roll back. I've no chance with a fakie air as I'd kill myself!

It's embarrassing really.  ::)

theRuler

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 06:38 PM »
a no hander 2 foot out aint no embarassment mate!

dan-dare

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 11:58 AM »

tbh some of the best sessions i have had have been in a carpark

:police:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Roll Backs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx